Cr150

Givenchy

Was rightfully balon dor at United and was one of best two or three players in world in last three years there.

His time there is not really over rated.

its very overrated in the sense people use his time at United to downplay what hes doing now

JamDav1982

its very overrated in the sense people use his time at United to downplay what hes doing now

Ah right yeah would agree with that.

Folk try and make out he was a flying winger scoring 40 a season and assisting 20.

He became his best when start focusing more on goals and attack built round giving him freedom.

Samart Yeager

Great article, but Ronaldo has a better goal scoring ratio in bigger games. This is also important, because not every goal is the same. That part is not accounted imo in the article. I think Ronaldo scores more in CL. Has more goals in CL quarters, semis and finals.

The article also failed to touch on Ronaldo's shot conversion rate though. I don't have time to research it but I remember that for a good chunk of last quarter 2017 extending into early this year, there were loads of articles and interviews calling him the worst striker in Europe based on his abysmal attempts on goals vs goals scored. To be clear, his career tally and longevity is stellar but a conversation about him as a pure striker not including his shot conversion stats will always be incomplete.

His CL stats are outstanding and if not mistaken, he holds a few records. The pool of CL elimination games is quite small though, perhaps too small for stats to be given the same weight and significance as those derived from a bigger and more extended pool but this may have already been debated at length. Just a thought ...

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Acting like Ronaldo was ever a playmaker worth note is so revisionist it's crazy. Watch a compilation of his CL assists, well over 90% of them are extremely simple square/touch passes that didn't even create a clear chance. Look at his 'assist' to Casemiro vs PSG, more of the same. He has never been a creator. Even in his best playmaking seasons at United and early days at RM, he wasn't even 1/3 as efficient a crosser as frigging Carvajal is right now, let alone actual top end playmakers. Dude has a few handfuls of decent throughballs in his entire career at most. His dribbling even at his best was highly inefficient, never even close to the likes of Robben or Ribery.

To top it all off, the only spell of his career where he built a legacy worth calling top 10 all time was post 2014, where he literally has been nothing but a poacher. Well below la liga averages in dribbling and creating chances, well over 90% of his goals being 1 touch finishes inside the penalty area. Letting Modric, Kroos, Isco, Marcelo, and the likes take over a huge portion of the playmaking burden. Even Benzema has a MUCH MUCH more important role on the ball than Ronaldo does because he actually anchors the defensive line and holds the ball up as a passing outlet, something which Ronaldo has NEVER been able to do and why he can't play as a true 9. Benz is used as a 'placeholder 9' anchoring that line and doing the grunt work on the ball while getting a measly 2 shots per game, while Ronaldo's entire role is to run behind the line in transition or one of 2 crossing sets where he either drops to the edge of the box for the cutback or goes far post for the deep cross. People act like it's some precognizant instinct that he has that no one else ever has, but if you actually ever watch his movement instead of exaggerating it blindly it's pretty formulaic.

If you're gonna say "no he's more than a poacher even since then" then you might as well call the likes of Lukaku/Cavani/etc. "more than just strikers" because of the handful of assists they rack up from time to time.

JamDav1982

Who has claimed Ronaldo is a playmaker?

He is not a 'poacher' either he is dangerous to any team that holds a high line and does get assists.

Calling him a 'poacher' is clueless.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
You pretty much implied that Gerd Muller is a poacher while Ronaldo is 'something more' which is certifiable BS. Muller also got assists in the same manner of playing an open ball in already created space. Just cause Ronaldo has gotten more freedom as a roaming target man means nothing, he is nothing on the ball that the likes of Van Basten, Muller, etc. were not.

And if Ronaldo deserves the moniker of being 'more than just a goalscorer' then so do they. Because Ronaldo is barely a historically significant player but for the portion of his career where he was scoring goals, finishing chances created for him, and doing VERY little else.

JamDav1982

You pretty much implied that Gerd Muller is a poacher while Ronaldo is 'something more' which is certifiable BS. Muller also got assists in the same manner of playing an open ball in already created space. Just cause Ronaldo has gotten more freedom as a roaming target man means nothing, he is nothing on the ball that the likes of Van Basten, Muller, etc. were not.

And if Ronaldo deserves the moniker of being 'more than just a goalscorer' then so do they. Because Ronaldo is barely a historically significant player but for the portion of his career where he was scoring goals, finishing chances created for him, and doing VERY little else.

No I didnt imply it I stated it.

Where did I say he is a 'playmaker'?

Muller was a penalty box striker who came alive from six yards Ronaldo is much more than that and scores a bigger variety of goals and more all round impact.

Clueless to call him just a poacher as I said.

Last edited:

It's often forgotten how unbelievably one dimensional role Ronaldo has been given. Many thinks the likes of great goalscorers of the past were dimensional like him while it's not the fact at all. And how can one watch his CL assists compilation and have the audacity to say he create chances while most of them are squared sideway pass or shot rebound.

JamDav1982

It's often forgotten how unbelievably one dimensional role Ronaldo has been given. Many thinks the likes of great goalscorers of the past were dimensional like him while it's not the fact at all. And how can one watch his CL assists compilation and have the audacity to say he create chances while most of them are squared sideway pass or shot rebound.

Muller was more one dimensional than Ronaldo without a doubt.

Your best attempt to show Muller as all round player was WC 1970 where he scored ten and almost all from six yds or less tap ins and some turn in 1974 final...

No I didnt imply it I stated it.

Where did I say he is a 'playmaker'?

Muller was a penalty box striker who came alive from six yards Ronaldo is much more than that and scores a bigger variety of goals and more all round impact.

Clueless to call him just a poacher as I said.

Watch Muller before calling him Poacher. It's Ronaldo who's poacher. Need I quote the players who call him as just great goalscorer? He can score all the varieties of goals and tap ins he want inside the penalty box. He still is a poacher. And his deflected shots and cross inside the penalty boxes doesn't make him more than a goalscorer.

Muller was more one dimensional than Ronaldo without a doubt.

Your best attempt to show Muller as all round player was WC 1970 where he scored ten and almost all from six yds or less tap ins and some turn in 1974 final...

You need to understand it's not how many yards away from he score goals that determines if he's a poacher or complete player. It's his ability to link up play. Shall I show you the last match where Ronaldo attempted to involve in build up play vs Netherlands?

He can't dribble a statue and most of his skill compilations are him attempting no look passes that ends up as a forward pass to the defender.

JamDav1982

Watch Muller before calling him Poacher. It's Ronaldo who's poacher. Need I quote the players who call him as just great goalscorer? He can score all the varieties of goals and tap ins he want inside the penalty box. He still is a poacher. And his deflected shots and cross inside the penalty boxes doesn't make him more than a goalscorer.

No Ronaldo scores much bigger variety of goals and Muller is seen as the ultimate poacher for good reason.

Ronaldo gets more involved away from the goals scored and is more dangerous than just balls into box.

Your best 'evidence' of Muller being more than a poacher is a WC which was prbably the finest poachers performance ever.

Feels like you have never watched Muller and offer nothing as to why he was better all round but just keep stating it.

JamDav1982

You need to understand it's not how many yards away from he score goals that determines if he's a poacher or complete player. It's his ability to link up play. Shall I show you the last match where Ronaldo attempted to involve in build up play vs Netherlands?

He can't dribble a statue and most of his skill compilations are him attempting no look passes that ends up as a forward pass to the defender.

Nah you fail to understand that Muller was seen as best penalty box poacher ever and Ronaldo has been far more than that.

Provide nothing to back that up about Muller. Other than random statements.

No Ronaldo scores much bigger variety of goals and Muller is seen as the ultimate poacher for good reason.

Ronaldo gets more involved away from the goals scored and is more dangerous than just balls into box.

Your best 'evidence' of Muller being more than a poacher is a WC which was prbably the finest poachers performance ever.

Feels like you have never watched Muller and offer nothing as to why he was better all round but just keep stating it.

Do you know the definition of Poacher? Variety of goals?

He's still a poacher. He can shoot, head, chip, reverse kick, curl, drill the ball into goal. He's still a Poacher.

Wait, I'll upload a match highlight of Ronaldo. Then come up to me which legend of the game has such horrible performance where they couldn't string together 3 passes.

JamDav1982

Do you know the definition of Poacher? Variety of goals?

He's still a poacher. He can shoot, head, chip, reverse kick, curl, drill the ball into goal. He's still a Poacher.

Wait, I'll upload a match highlight of Ronaldo. Then come up to me which legend of the game has such horrible performance where they couldn't string together 3 passes.

You dont seem to know the definition.

Haha you think it is about types of finishes?

Dont need highlights of Ronaldo I can show you stats and goals of what he does and variety of ways he can kill a team.

Fairly obvious you dotn have much to say about Muller though and nothing to back it up.

Home of Barca Fans