Cristian Tello

Galning

I also think he played well. Some of his crosses in the first half were off but that's just because Mallorca were still fresh in defence and were packing the box. And we all know how many players we have in front of goal when a cross comes in :p

Mr Hulot

He had two amazing left-footed crosses. The first one when Alexis dived before an open goal and the second one when he found Pique's head. A good game overall.

Kerrybai

This guy is one of my favourite players in world football right now. I hope we keep him.

Also he reminds me of some sort of Henry/Theo Walcott hybrid.

Last edited:

Kerrybai

Also I'd like to add that I don't understand why Tello is the only player criticised as been one dimensional. What does that make Pedro abd alexis? No dimensional? Tello can beat his man on the outside and cross the ball, and he can also cut inside to shoot, I don't really see what else we should expect from him, also his decision making looks much improved from last season.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Also I'd like to add that I don't understand why Tello is the only player criticised as been one dimensional. What does that make Pedro abd alexis? No dimensional? Tello can beat his man on the outside and cross the ball, and he can also cut inside to shoot, I don't really see what else we should expect from him, also his decision making looks much improved from last season.

One dimensional in a sense that he doesn't have a huge arsenal of technique or skill behind him. He is only good in 1v1's and usually just taps the ball ahead or cuts in. He relies on his speed too much in dribbling and doesn't have much close control or a good first tough so you can't say that he's a very technically sound dribbler. Plus he definitely doesn't have the agility or skills to weave in and out of defenders in multiple directions. Pedro is a pretty good dribbler in a lot of those aspects and Alexis can be (when he is at his best)

The thing that makes Tello one dimensional is that he is very basic and has very standard dribbling options (stop and go, cut in or speed forwards, only dribbling in straightforward 1v1's). He doesn't have the innovative and creative mind to adapt to any situation and improvise skills on the spot to get past 2-3 defenders in multiple directions and different situations (i.e Iniesta, Messi, etc.)

D

Don Andrés El Ilusionista

One dimensional in a sense that he doesn't have a huge arsenal of technique or skill behind him. He is only good in 1v1's and usually just taps the ball ahead or cuts in. He relies on his speed too much in dribbling and doesn't have much close control or a good first tough so you can't say that he's a very technically sound dribbler. Plus he definitely doesn't have the agility or skills to weave in and out of defenders in multiple directions. Pedro is a pretty good dribbler in a lot of those aspects and Alexis can be (when he is at his best)

The thing that makes Tello one dimensional is that he is very basic and has very standard dribbling options (stop and go, cut in or speed forwards, only dribbling in straightforward 1v1's). He doesn't have the innovative and creative mind to adapt to any situation and improvise skills on the spot to get past 2-3 defenders in multiple directions and different situations (i.e Iniesta, Messi, etc.)

Agree with that mate. Nowadays defenders pretty much know what Tello is all about, always goes for the by-line.

And anyone notice how Tello always traps the ball with his right foot? Tello isn't exactly ambidextrous but his crosses with his left foot is not that bad either, he made a decent left-footed cross to Alexis against Mallorca this weekend. I feel like often times, Tello would waste decent opportunities on the counter because he never ever traps the ball with his left leg, even when it would be more advantageous to do so with his left, especially given that Messi tends to play a lot of through balls to the left-wing, and less frequently to the right wing of our attack.

I preferred Cuenca last season when Pep was still in charge. Cuenca had excellent footwork, and he could provide width or cut inside, go for the by-line, hold onto the ball, score goals and provide neat assists, whereas Tello sometimes lacks on his final ball. I hope Cuenca stays in the first team in the long run, as I see him as a much more talented lad than Cristian Tello.

Pedro and Alexis are all also a class apart from Tello. Pedro has a tremendous first touch, and is often involved in neat Tiki-Taka plays, not to mention that both Pedro and Alexis have great work ethics, whereas Tello tends to wait for the ball to come to him on the left wing, and then beat the one man in front him.

Kerrybai

He doesn't have the innovative and creative mind to adapt to any situation and improvise skills on the spot to get past 2-3 defenders in multiple directions and different situations (i.e Iniesta, Messi, etc.)

Players with the dribbling ability of Iniesta are rare, and with the ability of Messi come once in a generation. His dribbling skills are certainly not up there with them but he's a winger, he generally only faces 1 defender at a time and he is effective at what he does.

Agree with that mate. Nowadays defenders pretty much know what Tello is all about, always goes for the by-line.

Pedro and Alexis are all also a class apart from Tello. Pedro has a tremendous first touch, and is often involved in neat Tiki-Taka plays, not to mention that both Pedro and Alexis have great work ethics, whereas Tello tends to wait for the ball to come to him on the left wing, and then beat the one man in front him.

If defenders know what Tello is about then how does he consistently beat his man while Pedro and Sanchez continue to fail? I agree that Pedro has a better first touch but he and Sanchez are been outshone by Tello right now so I certainly wouldn't call them a class apart. Sanchez for instance has resorted to diving as he can't get past defenders. They do get more involved in tiki taka but usually its a result of having no other option. Tello gets less involved as he has the ability to beat a defender and get a ball across the box. The other two mentioned see defenders as brick walls and pass back inside. Of course Pedro and Sanchez have the ability to beat a defender but for quite some time now they have been off form.

dostoevskij

your judgement is true, BUT as paradox as it may sound,we need him for his "one-dimension" approach to the game. im not saying that he should start every game, but his deadly speed and classic henry-esque shot can be very usefull in a lot of games. especially if messi plays too, he wont face more than one defender in most situations!

therefore keep him!! would be very sad if he leaves.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
your judgement is true, BUT as paradox as it may sound,we need him for his "one-dimension" approach to the game. im not saying that he should start every game, but his deadly speed and classic henry-esque shot can be very usefull in a lot of games. especially if messi plays too, he wont face more than one defender in most situations!

This makes sense, and as long as he can keep beating his man and sending a cross I don't see why we should get rid of him... He may never become a legend, but he can be a very valuable player for this team...

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
If defenders know what Tello is about then how does he consistently beat his man while Pedro and Sanchez continue to fail? I agree that Pedro has a better first touch but he and Sanchez are been outshone by Tello right now so I certainly wouldn't call them a class apart. Sanchez for instance has resorted to diving as he can't get past defenders. They do get more involved in tiki taka but usually its a result of having no other option. Tello gets less involved as he has the ability to beat a defender and get a ball across the box. The other two mentioned see defenders as brick walls and pass back inside. Of course Pedro and Sanchez have the ability to beat a defender but for quite some time now they have been off form.

True! Even if some of you argue that he's one-dimensional, he beats his defender time after time.

This makes sense, and as long as he can keep beating his man and sending a cross I don't see why we should get rid of him... He may never become a legend, but he can be a very valuable player for this team...

:thumbsup2:

Barca8

Why does he need to do so much more when RIGHT NOW he beats his markers almost every time, puts in solid passes/assists, and is just too much for the opposition to deal with?

That's what we need and he does it well and keep in mind he's only 20. With more time he'll evolve and add more to his game.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
True! Even if some of you argue that he's one-dimensional, he beats his defender time after time.

Exactly...And right now, that's the most desirable commodity a forward in this system has to have...Beat your man and force defenders to double up and free space for others

mittchan82

some say he's one dimensional but I say that's another option he gives our team and more options keep the other team guessing. Keep him and see how he develops WITHOUT wanting him to be the next Messi.

utility73

Yes he might be a bit one dimensional. But what he does he does extremely well. We need fast wingers.
In addition he has a great shot and is a pretty good finisher in general.

Home of Barca Fans