Cristian Tello

Stric

Vilanova has shown to be very reluctant to play youngsters, in general. Look at Montoya and Bartra, FFS.

JamDav1982

That's a somewhat unfair justification, IMHO. Madrid is by far our worst opponent, as in the toughest to beat, because their entire game is designed to nullify Barcelona. So, giving Madrid as the example is going over the top. Barca in general has been poor against Madrid this season, and even the likes of Messi and Villa and Iniesta and whoever have failed to do much against them. That's one thing. The other is, as you mentioned yourself, coming in from the bench, especially as late in the game as Tito usually decides, is very different from starting and building up the game from scratch. It's not only the significantly smaller amount of time, it's also about the existing result, the pressure, etc.

All I am saying is that he has done nothing to prove he is the best option against the strong defences - and he has been given chances.

Stric

All I am saying is that he has done nothing to prove he is the best option against the strong defences - and he has been given chances.

He has proven to be a better choice than both Pedro and Sanchez, for the most part. Yet they have been given many more chances than he has, especially against strong defenses.

JamDav1982

He has proven to be a better choice than both Pedro and Sanchez, for the most part. Yet they have been given many more chances than he has, especially against strong defenses.

In what way has he proven to be better choices than Sanchez or Pedro?

Kerrybai

Tello outshining them? Sanchez and Pedro have been poor but comparing them to is unfair as he has more or less only scored against the relegation candidates in games won at a canter.

What reason do you believe that Villanova and Guardiola before him did not start him in more of the bigger games?

Before he starts in the bigger games he needs to prove he can make a difference against those teams - he has barely done anything against the well organised teams this season or last.

It's a good point and no doubt he has a lot to prove, but he it's a bit unfair because he hasn't been given the chance in big games bar substitute appearances. Based on what he has shown I think he deserves more time and I hope Tito agrees in time. -----------------------------------------------Take the home tie vs Spartak, they may not be a huge team but they made things very difficult for us and we struggled. Tello scored a fantastic opener and trailing 1-2 I believe he setup up Messi. He was instrumental in breaking down what turned out to be a very stubborn side on the night. --------------------------------------------------As for the reason he has not started I think believe it's just the nature of the LW position. Villa has stated his claim and is the obvious choice for the big games, if Tello played on the right I believe it would be a different story.

Stric

In what way has he proven to be better choices than Sanchez or Pedro?

By

1.) scoring equally as many goals as Pedro, and more goals than Alexis, in waaay less minutes (games started/subbed: Tello 9+8, Pedro 20+3, Alexis 14+9)
1.2) having an incomparably better conversion rate than the two
2.) being able to beat his marker and advance towards goal
3.) having better positioning than the two
4.) providing the same work-rate as the two, while being better in every other aspect

Tonykross

One dimensional in a sense that he doesn't have a huge arsenal of technique or skill behind him. He is only good in 1v1's and usually just taps the ball ahead or cuts in. He relies on his speed too much in dribbling and doesn't have much close control or a good first tough so you can't say that he's a very technically sound dribbler. Plus he definitely doesn't have the agility or skills to weave in and out of defenders in multiple directions. Pedro is a pretty good dribbler in a lot of those aspects and Alexis can be (when he is at his best)

The thing that makes Tello one dimensional is that he is very basic and has very standard dribbling options (stop and go, cut in or speed forwards, only dribbling in straightforward 1v1's). He doesn't have the innovative and creative mind to adapt to any situation and improvise skills on the spot to get past 2-3 defenders in multiple directions and different situations (i.e Iniesta, Messi, etc.)

When was the last time Pedro and Alexis were able to beat their man in 1 vs 1 situation, those guys are pretty average footballers.I already see star quality in Tello.

Ocurrente

By

1.) scoring equally as many goals as Pedro, and more goals than Alexis, in waaay less minutes (games started/subbed: Tello 9+8, Pedro 20+3, Alexis 14+9)
4.) providing the same work-rate as the two, while being better in every other aspect

but can he score against Stoke on a wet Wednesday night at the Brittania?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
When was the last time Pedro and Alexis were able to beat their man in 1 vs 1 situation, those guys are pretty average footballers.I already see star quality in Tello.

I think Tello and Pedro are different kind of players. One is better at taking on his markers, other is better off the ball.. etc. Makes a perfect balance imo.

JamDav1982

By

If he has all these things why has he never produced against the big teams?

In the last two games Sanchez has scored 2 and set up 3 and has performed well in big games in the past as has Pedro - Tello has not and has by and large only scored against the poorest teams in the league.

If you offered these three to other teams around the world Tello would be the third choice.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Pedro uses his low center of gravity to keep the ball very well, Alexis was able to in top form but not anymore. I wasn't saying Tello sucks, it's just that his skill set is different from being a creative, 3 dimensional footballer. He's the straightforward, no BS type of player that we often lack.

Theconomist

Instead of jumping on the bandwagon I'll simply say that this was a very mature performance tonight and he's been really improving. I hope he continues this way as we'll need him during these final few games.

FiReFTW

Tello indeed lacks a few things as of yet, but so far he has been quite impressive considering hes only 21 aswell, if he continues to work hard I can see something good in him.

I've been thinking it for some time but tonight seems an opportunistic occasion to reiterate ( i missed the game :( )
Tello is an aggressive winger, very different from Sanchez and Pedro who I don't find that different in skill set. He earned his place and should get at least as much playing time as Villa-Pedro-Sanchez in the near future

JamDav1982

I've been thinking it for some time but tonight seems an opportunistic occasion to reiterate ( i missed the game :( )
Tello is an aggressive winger, very different from Sanchez and Pedro who I don't find that different in skill set. He earned his place and should get at least as much playing time as Villa-Pedro-Sanchez in the near future

Earned his place by scoring against the relegation candidates?

If Barcelona have everyone fit then he is not in the starting eleven and has not done anything to earn that yet.

There is barely any game in the last two seasons where he has shown he can make a difference against the top well organised defences.

Home of Barca Fans