Cristian Tello

Tello's done well this season, and has been a lot more consistent, but Pedro has shown that he's still a big game player. Against RM, France, PSG, etc. I can see why Pedro's being started over Tello in big games. Still though, I wish Tello were on the bench over Sanchez.

Irish_Cules

I think we have every right to be excited about Tello. The progress that he has made in his game this season has been hugely impressive. Last season he did impress at times but his decision making and end product left a lot to be desired. He has made huge progress in these areas and he is showing that he is a really accomplished finisher also. Obviously we cant say that he will be world class or one of the best players in the world but if he continues progressing at this rate he could challenge for a starting place.

Stric

If he has all these things why has he never produced against the big teams?

In the last two games Sanchez has scored 2 and set up 3 and has performed well in big games in the past as has Pedro - Tello has not and has by and large only scored against the poorest teams in the league.

If you offered these three to other teams around the world Tello would be the third choice.

I can see this is going nowhere, but I can't resist.

Yet you give the example of Alexis, whose goals have all been against relegation-zone teams? Tello has scored against the poorest teams because those were the games when he played enough minutes to make an impact. And yes, that's probably true, but if our club started treating Tello like he was better than Sanchez, for example, he'd quickly be ahead of Sanchez in the eyes of other clubs around the world, too.

JamDav1982

I can see this is going nowhere, but I can't resist.

Yet you give the example of Alexis, whose goals have all been against relegation-zone teams? Tello has scored against the poorest teams because those were the games when he played enough minutes to make an impact. And yes, that's probably true, but if our club started treating Tello like he was better than Sanchez, for example, he'd quickly be ahead of Sanchez in the eyes of other clubs around the world, too.

I am not trying to say that Alexis and Pedro have had great seasons but I can see why they are chosen for the bigger games ahead of Tello as they in the past have shown they can perform against the biggest sides. While also they are more likely to play for Messi than Tello is.

Dont think any of the three of them are of the standard of wide player Barcelona need as other teams have improved quickly. Pedro on the left maybe but thats about it.

Hope Tello does improve and can earn his place but he is still raw, has a lot to learn and is nowhere near world class as some on here seem to think.

Kerrybai

I think the stats above say it all, only 17 starts, so he has hardly been given a fair opportunity to prove himself against the bigger sides.

JamDav1982

I think the stats above say it all, only 17 starts, so he has hardly been given a fair opportunity to prove himself against the bigger sides.

He has been given chances, albeit not starts as the management clearly dont think he has earned it. He has had a decent amount of minutes against Madrid and the other top teams in Spain without doing anything.

It may be that he needs to grasp these opportunities before they consider him for the bigger games.

Just look at who he has scored against this season - is there any even in the top half of the league?

Until he can prove something against the best defences he wont be considered a regular in the big games I would think

Kerrybai

He has been given chances, albeit not starts as the management clearly dont think he has earned it. He has had a decent amount of minutes against Madrid and the other top teams in Spain without doing anything.

It may be that he needs to grasp these opportunities before they consider him for the bigger games.

Just look at who he has scored against this season - is there any even in the top half of the league?

Until he can prove something against the best defences he wont be considered a regular in the big games I would think

I think it depends a lot on Villa. Right now we generally play Villa/Tello on the left with Pedro/Sanchez on the right. Pedro can play on the left too of course but if the reports are anything to go by Sanchez could be off in the summer meaning Pedro will have the right largely to himself. I think villa will still be here next year and might get some time on the right wing if Sanchez goes, thus freeing up more time for Tello to play. ----------------------------------------------------- I'm not sure what teams Tello has scored against, but I do know he was instrumental against Spartak when we really struggled, he also has a number of assists that coukd be against bigger teams ( I dont have his stats ) I think it's important to look beyond stats and look at how he fits the team. He has linked up well with the likes of Messi, his pace allows him to get on the end of those diagonal passes that Messi plays, similar to how Pedro used to very often during the 2010/2011 season. He assists as often as he scores too which bodes well for the team.

Paganinisrvnge

I would love to see a comparison of teams Alexis has scored against vs teams Tello has scored against. I doubt there's much of a difference and Alexis has played WAY more. I remember that one game in the Copa Del Rey against Cordoba who are in the 2nd division where he scored a brace but still missed like 5 clear cut chances. :lol:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
1365974377359.jpg

"And I think I deserve to be on team A"
(Pun on 80s A team TV show.)

Well Jamdav since you quoted me I assume you include myself in the "bunch who consider him world class" so I advise you read my post again, and perhaps that of other posters who you think seem to think that also :)
Having a better season than Pedro or Alexis does not make you world-class, nor does asking for comparable playing time.

CesDel

I would love to see a comparison of teams Alexis has scored against vs teams Tello has scored against. I doubt there's much of a difference and Alexis has played WAY more. I remember that one game in the Copa Del Rey against Cordoba who are in the 2nd division where he scored a brace but still missed like 5 clear cut chances. :lol:

Then what about Pedro, who is a sure starter whenever he is fit?

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!

It's no secret that Tello is actually a good finisher, unlike Alexis, so that comparison will always favor the canterano... At this point I doubt the coaching staff isn't aware of the quality Tello brings to the team, but that doesn't mean he should start every game right away... He is on the right track and with patience he will cement his role in the team in the next couple of seasons, that's not to say Alexis, Pedro or Villa should be automatically ahead of Tello in the pecking order...

Home of Barca Fans