Cristiano Ronaldo - v1

Ritchie

The worst for me is him being rated as better than the real Ronaldo by most people nowadays.

I hate being one of these back in the day type guys and with all respect to Cristiano but he couldnt hold a candle to fenomeno as a footballer.
He would score 60+ every season uninjured in Cristiano's position.

This is another key point. Ronaldo's durability is one of his best assets as well as his hunger for goals. Ronaldo is regarded as the ultimate goalscorer and a modern Gerd Muller but he has 10 chances to score every game. The fact he hardly ever gets injured and plays every 90 minutes nearly 60 odd times a season (and scores 10-20 penalties a season) means 50 something goals in 50 something games while being a remarkable stat is not so remarkable when in such an attacking team. Messi could probably score a lot more if he was that obsessed about it but he does pace himself and if a game is won he'll ease off plus passes a lot more in shooting positions. Ronaldo uses useless teams like Granada to boost his stats when the game is long won.

Even someone like Van Nistelrooy was a hell of a goalscorer and striker but he had several serious knee injuries which took a lot out of him as a player and the Madrid team he played for wasn't nearly as good going forward in creating the same volume of chances. Then there was Brazilian Ronaldo who is the only forward near Messi's level from the last 20 years. He was unbelievable but serious injuries set him back so much and after that he never had Christiano's hunger for goals or attitude to fitness. Christiano has looked after himself well and been such a professional in terms of always being available but it doesn't make him a genius.

Last edited:

raskolnikov

This is another key point. Ronaldo's durability is one of his best assets as well as his hunger for goals. Ronaldo is regarded as the ultimate goalscorer and a modern Gerd Muller but he has 10 chances to score every game. The fact he hardly ever gets injured and plays every 90 minutes nearly 60 odd times a season (and scores 10-20 penalties a season) means 50 something goals in 50 something games while being a remarkable stat is not so remarkable when in such an attacking team. Messi could probably score a lot more if he was that obsessed about it but he does pace himself and if a game is won he'll ease off plus passes a lot more in shooting positions. Ronaldo uses useless teams like Granada to boost his stats when the game is long won.

Even someone like Van Nistelrooy was a hell of a goalscorer and striker but he had several serious knee injuries which took a lot out of him as a player and the Madrid team he played for wasn't nearly as good going forward in creating the same volume of chances. Then there was Brazilian Ronaldo who is the only forward near Messi's level from the last 20 years. He was unbelievable but serious injuries set him back so much and after that he never had Christiano's hunger for goals or attitude to fitness. Christiano has looked after himself well and been such a professional in terms of always being available but it doesn't make him a genius.

He is just lucky, a guy like Raul also never got injured for example while a guy like Puyol who looks after himself a lot like Ronaldo broke every bone in his body and teared every muscle. Ronaldo being arguably the best athlete in football history is proof of his dedication to the craft but to stay uninjured requires some luck, goes for most players.
People like Robben or Ronaldo just had bad luck in that regard I think.

BBZ8800

Are you kidding? top 5 all time would be an incredibly rich characterization for cristiano. He's not even top 15.
In no particular order

messi
ronaldo de lima
pele
garrincha
maradona
di stefano
puskas
cruyff
best
beckembauer
baresi
baggio
van basten
platini
zidane

I don't rate CR7 higher than:
1. Messi
2. Brasilian Ronaldo
3. Maradona
4. Pele
5. Ronaldinho
-- and maybe Zidane, Cruijff

For me, he will never be better than our legend Rivaldo.

To add some salt to Cristina's wounds, this is how we do bicycle kicks in Barca:
-- 2000/01 Season, the last round of La liga, we played at home against Valencia
(In that moment, Valencia was a Champions league finalists in Seasons 2000 and 2001)
-- we needed a win to secure our Champions league place. But only a win. The draw was not good enough.

-- Rivaldo scored for 1:0, and Valencia equalized
-- Rivaldo scored for 2:1, and Valencia equalized
And then, we reached the 88th Minute of the last Match of the Season:

This is what big boys do in those cases:

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

I don't rate CR7 higher than:
1. Messi
2. Brasilian Ronaldo
3. Maradona
4. Pele
5. Ronaldinho
-- and maybe Zidane, Cruijff

For me, he will never be better than our legend Rivaldo.

To add some salt to Cristina's wounds, this is how we do bicycle kicks in Barca:
-- 2000/01 Season, the last round of La liga, we played at home against Valencia
(In that moment, Valencia was a Champions league finalists in Seasons 2000 and 2001)
-- we needed a win to secure our Champions league place. But only a win. The draw was not good enough.

-- Rivaldo scored for 1:0, and Valencia equalized
-- Rivaldo scored for 2:1, and Valencia equalized
And then, we reached the 88th Minute of the last Match of the Season:

This is what big boys do in those cases:

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

Sorry mate but it's criminal not to post his entire hattrick if you mention that game.

Best hattrick in the history of football.

Gaspart's reaction when that insane chilena went in.

Loved Rivaldo. He along with Ronaldo were my first idols. I remember going to the Camp Nou with my grandfather as a little boy when Rivaldo was bossing.

:worthy:

BBZ8800

Sorry mate but it's criminal not to post his entire hattrick if you mention that game.

Best hattrick in the history of football.

No problem, hehe, but my video also had all 3 Goals from Rivaldo on that night ;)

But anyway, no problem, we need more videos from that match.
I still remember watching that match live, and when I thought that we are dead, suddenly Rivaldo scored this Goal, the whole Camp Nou erupted and all the players, commentators and everyone were like: Wtf was that, how on Earth he scored that?

:worthy: :barcascarf:

Loved Rivaldo. He along with Ronaldo were my first idols. I remember going to the Camp Nou with my grandfather as a little boy when Rivaldo was bossing.

:worthy:

Me too.
When I started to watch Barca, he was Messi of that generation, and he will be always remembered as my first Barca's hero/legend/idol.

Last edited:

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
C'man, lets not get out of hand with "overrated". =Saying shit like "he doesn't do anything for the team"....erm, scoring goals is kind of good, no? It seems such a daft criticism when, ultimately, you try to get the most of your best player. It's like people still have this idea that everyone does the exact same thing for a team - a naive outlook on football.

I mean "6 Ballon D'or's for Messi" put George Best in the list ahead of him - really, dude? Really? He had tons of natural ability but was a pisshead. I don't like defending Cristiano or Real at all, but a lot of these criticisms are pretty childish.

The magnificent georgie best is your problem? ok, lets say that cristiano is above him, lol.
Who else would you place below cristiano from that list? The right answer is noone or you don't know football.

raskolnikov

The magnificent georgie best is your problem? ok, lets say that cristiano is above him, lol.
Who else would you place below cristiano from that list? The right answer is noone or you don't know football.
You could add Henry, Ronaldinho, Zico to that list as well.

In fairness Ronaldo should be compared with great goalscorers more than the best players imo, so Gerd Muller, Puskas, Eusebio, Van Basten, Van Nistelrooy, Batistuta, Sheva, Romario. In that regard he does very well and could definitely crack top 5.

Ritchie

He is just lucky, a guy like Raul also never got injured for example while a guy like Puyol who looks after himself a lot like Ronaldo broke every bone in his body and teared every muscle. Ronaldo being arguably the best athlete in football history is proof of his dedication to the craft but to stay uninjured requires some luck, goes for most players.
People like Robben or Ronaldo just had bad luck in that regard I think.

Robben's another one who I think is a better footballer than Ronaldo and has been very underrated and basically the reason Holland did so well in the last two World Cups, plus an awesome CL season in 12/13 wiping the floor with Barca and then scoring the winner in the final.

But Christiano is a better athlete and more reliable goalscorer in terms of sheer numbers whereas Robben has had so many injuries in his career.

M

magicomessi

Does he mean top 5 currently active or top 5 all time. Because CR is easily top 5 among currently active players but it's a tougher call for top 5 all time. In my opinion he is not top 5 all time.

messi
suarez
neymar
tevez
hazard
james
robben - when he healthy

penaldo isn't better than any1 of them at all & if we talk about all time then he isn't in the top 30

cris29

11210468_1422419581131587_4489212525949019391_n.jpg

Home of Barca Fans