Cristiano Ronaldo - v1

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I watched it today. Let me tell you, its exactly what everyone here in Barcaforum thought it would be.
A carefully controlled and meticulously sanitised hagiography. Everything that has been put into this movie, has been handpicked and controlled by Ronaldo himself. You won't ever find anything that could possibly cast him in any sort of negative light ever. Ronaldo has financed this movie. Every scene that you get to see, is a scene Ronaldo wanted you to see. The way the movie pictures Ronaldo, is the way Ronaldo wants to be pictured like.

Ronaldo the one that has fought his way out of Madeira and the depression of his lost father, into the flawless star that he is today. The movie of course does feature no scandals, no personal affairs, no Irina, no nothing. From the first minute until the last, there was no doubt: Ronaldo is the perfect and most gracious human being that has ever set foot on the surface of this unworthy planet.

Yannik my man, you ARE good. :worthy: You should consider taking up a second career of being a movie critic, or is that your full time job already? :p

AnnieSureshot

The movie of course does feature no scandals, no personal affairs, no Irina, no nothing. From the first minute until the last, there was no doubt: Ronaldo is the perfect and most gracious human being that has ever set foot on the surface of this unworthy planet.

I really don't think scandals and personal affairs are necessary to show Ronaldo as a douche. His own words are sufficient for this purpose. And he said plenty stupid crap in this movie.

JamDav1982

Watching it online just now.

Just started but the way it is edited is crazy and biased.

They start by showing the CL Final 2014....Ronaldo speaks about how other players like Di Maria had given up and he told him to believe. Then it goes on to show equaliser from Ramos...cuts to Ronaldo 'celebrating' barely notice who scores. Shows Bales and Marcelo goals so quickly you dont know who scored. Then the penalty it is all slow motion and close ups of Ronaldo then him celebrating.

Have to say his son is one cool little dude though and takes any opportunity to wind up his dad. They come out of his school and some random big guy speaks to Ronaldo. Ronaldo walks away and says to son 'he is a big man. Jnr says 'he is bigger than you'...Ronaldo 'but not stronger'

Yannik

I guess noone really expected to be in for a surprise package of human self-reflection. It is an authorised biography. Those are usually pretty sycophantic and biased depending on the ego of the person who authorises them - in particular if the person paid for the movie himself. A simply piece of vanity cinema designed to please his ego and market him. Bllionaires, oligarchs and sheikhs build towers to set themselves a monument on the skyline, Ronaldo made himself a movie.

With millions of Ronaldo-fans waiting in line to storm the cinema in frenetic euphory, he will feel approved in his movie-making skills. But if we're being honest, it was never about actual movie quality. Ronaldo could have filmed himself on the toilet for 120 minutes and the revenues that movie would make would in no way be second to the revenues he's making now. Noone really watches this movie because he's actually expecting cinematic greatness, is he?

Now, was there even any way how Ronaldo could have filmed a biography, that is actually interesting beyond the casual global circlejerk of his fellow fans? I think there is, but in order to do that Ronaldo shouldnt have done this movie right now in 2015. In my opinion he should have waited until he has retired. Because this is the day, where he reflects himself, his career and his life. He starts to question decision, and speaks more open about mistakes he has done, seeing himself from other perspectives.
Also finally opening up about topics that he "cant talk about" as a yet active professional football player under contract at Real Madrid. Think of the documentation they did about the rivalry of Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira..
Do you think they could have made such an interview if both were still actively playing? Of course not, they would speak in their initial biased hatred, not in mutual respect of each other.

Now imagine such a scene for the final 20 minutes of Ronaldo's movie - a room, a table, 2 chairs - with Ronaldo and Messi in their mid-40s there. With suit and a tie, discussing their rivalry with each other. Interviewing each other with mutual respect, messing around in a way that would picture them as good old friends, also actually paying credit to each other. Then at the end of the movie, they'd just stand up, and leave together as if they were going to hang out together in some pub. Cut.

I think something like this would break the internet and the cinema and it would really be something special that the casual documentaries could never reproduce.
Imagine this - when the movie credits come in - as a scene with Messi and Ronaldo here. Boom.

Last edited:

Stric

Now imagine such a scene for the final 20 minutes of Ronaldo's movie - a room, a table, 2 chairs - with Ronaldo and Messi in their mid-40s there. With suit and a tie, discussing their rivalry with each other. Interviewing each other with mutual respect, messing around in a way that would picture them as old, actually paying credit to each other. Then at the end of the movie, they'd just stand up, and leave together as if they were going to hang out together in some pub. Cut.

Except there's no need for something like that, because Messi and Cristiano aren't in the same league. Messi is the best player in the history of football. Ronaldo is (was?) a great goalscorer, and nothing more. Everything beyond that is a well-oiled PR machine and media-fueled rivalry that never really existed. A scene like that would be devaluing Messi's career.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I watched it today. Let me tell you, its exactly what everyone here in Barcaforum thought it would be.
A carefully controlled and meticulously sanitised hagiography. Everything that has been put into this movie, has been handpicked and controlled by Ronaldo himself. You won't ever find anything that could possibly cast him in any sort of negative light ever. Ronaldo has financed this movie. Every scene that you get to see, is a scene Ronaldo wanted you to see. The way the movie pictures Ronaldo, is the way Ronaldo wants to be pictured like.

Ronaldo the one that has fought his way out of Madeira and the depression of his lost father, into the flawless star that he is today. The movie of course does feature no scandals, no personal affairs, no Irina, no nothing. From the first minute until the last, there was no doubt: Ronaldo is the perfect and most gracious human being that has ever set foot on the surface of this unworthy planet.

Well he clearly did not do a good job because he says some pretty dumb things in the movie, and also plays on the media stereotype of him a lot.

Kerrybai

Forget the movie, check it this excerpt from Guillem Balague. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...s-brutal-early-days-at-Manchester-United.html

He was confident right from the get go - Many youngsters had passed through that dressing room without daring so much as to look up at Roy Keane, Gary Neville or Ryan Giggs. “Bloody hell, this lad,” thought Neville when he saw how Ronaldo looked him straight in the eye. “I likened him to Cantona. Cristiano arrived here saying, ‘This isn’t big, this is just where I belong.

This bit :lol: He would just wear the tightest clothes. Armani or whatever, and the jeans were the tightest ever. It was probably the style in Portugal. We’d say to him, “Any room down there in that area?’” explained Fortune

Great banter during the rondo's at United :lol: “If you come with a price tag, as soon as you miscontrol it, it’s like, ‘How much did you cost?’ – we paid too much, we signed the wrong player,” revealed Ryan Giggs.

Crying after Ferguson gives out to him - In the dressing room, Ferguson could not contain himself: “Who do you think you are? Trying to play by yourself? You’ll never be a player if you do this!”
Ronaldo began to cry. The other players left him be. “He needed to learn,” said Ferdinand. “That was a message from the team, not just from Ferguson: everyone thought he needed to learn.”

More banter - Predictably, the group responded by winding him up. Quinton Fortune and Rio Ferdinand reminded him of the incident a few weeks later.
“He’s crying in the changing room again!”
“F--- off! What are you talking about?”
“Cry-baby, cry-baby!”

And finally his relationship with Ferguson - Ferguson knew that after the stick, he had to apply the carrot. “Every now and again, the manager would ask him in front of the squad, ‘Why did you dribble rather than cross?’” recalled Alec Wylie. “Then when he’d finished his rant, he’d go and sit next to him to explain why he’d had a go at him.”
Ferguson had never treated any other player with the same respect and affection as he did Ronaldo. The squad would make jokes about the special relationship with a mixture of laughter and envy: “He’s your dad; he’s your dad!”

Kerrybai

Where can you watch it? In movie theaters only?

http://newmovies.pro/ronaldo-2015/

Here it is with English subtitles. The film doesn't work becuase its basically just a summary of how he won the ballon dor the second and 3rd time. We see nothing of his time at United, his relationship with Ferguson... we learn nothing new about Ronaldo. I liked the bit about hit brother who now runs his museum..

The strangest thing is Ronaldo really isn't the one you would google after the film, its Jorge Mendes who is the interesting one. Ronaldo like Messi just doesn't have a big enough personality. I walked away from it wanting to learn more about Mendes.... the bit where Messi meets the kid is also great. The Kid is stunned when he sees Messi.

raki

Another stupid myth that the movie breaks is that the one that said that the guy that he hugs in the CL final it´s his childhood friend who gave him a goal in a trial game and that changed his life bla bla bla.

It´s his brother. It was pretty obvious in the pictures in those stupid articles from the press that it was 2 very different guys but i did not know who the guy in the CL final was. Solved.

Another myth bites the dust.

Home of Barca Fans