Daniel Alves

Sergio

Sergison
so I heard this guy can't defend?

:lol:
He couldn't ever really before, he could never quite match Cristiano's pace or strength. What he did in the last 2 games, and especially well last night, was let him win the ball, take that as a given, sit off him, and then win it back when he would try and cut inside. Wonderfully disciplined performance, I loved watching that duel more than anything else, Dani had him in his pocket. Think I especially enjoyed about it was if Cristiano actually played a cross or played it back more he could have caused alot more hurt to Barca. But that was where Dani/Pep was so smart, they knew how to play his mind, the guy is simply too arrogant to give up the ball to a team mate, he will more often than not try and do it himself, steam role his way into the box by cutting inside.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
He couldn't ever really before, he could never quite match Cristiano's pace or strength. What he did in the last 2 games, and especially well last night, was let him win the ball, take that as a given, sit off him, and then win it back when he would try and cut inside. Wonderfully disciplined performance, I loved watching that duel more than anything else, Dani had him in his pocket. Think I especially enjoyed about it was if Cristiano actually played a cross or played it back more he could have caused alot more hurt to Barca. But that was where Dani/Pep was so smart, they knew how to play his mind, the guy is simply too arrogant to give up the ball to a team mate, he will more often than not try and do it himself, steam role his way into the box by cutting inside.

yeah it was a superb performance.

Dani's always been able to defend like this, it's just his natural game is so attacking it's not often he shows this kind of restraint.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Apparently real madrid supporters were making monkey noise towards alves
[video]watch?v=O5_4Y-f6wSU[/video]

0:31

I wonder why Marca/As have reported nothing about this :wacko:

I didn't know this happened. This is disgusting.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
so I heard this guy can't defend?

:lol:

Look, he has done a magnificent job with containing Ronaldo. Partly because he was stuck behind, partly because this was personal, and partly because Ronaldo did the exact same thing over and over again.

But there have been times where he has been made bitch. So he can, and did against Ronaldo, props to him. But this doesn't mean that he doesn't defend and is a consistently good defender.

adil_909

^more times than not, he does a fantastic job at defense. his lapses in concentration are few and far between. if you actually watched the majority of barca games instead of youtube clips you'd know that.

Look, he has done a magnificent job with containing Ronaldo. Partly because he was stuck behind, partly because this was personal, and partly because Ronaldo did the exact same thing over and over again.

But there have been times where he has been made bitch. So he can, and did against Ronaldo, props to him. But this doesn't mean that he doesn't defend and is a consistently good defender.

Like you said, one of the reasons he did a magnificent job is cause he was "stuck behind". I think he would put up defensive performances like this consistently if he was asked to do so every game. Against most opponents though, it is better to have him playing more offensively. It's nice to know that when called upon, he can play the more traditional right back style if need be.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
^more times than not, he does a fantastic job at defense. his lapses in concentration are few and far between. if you actually watched the majority of barca games instead of youtube clips you'd know that.

Oh I know, but its not about his positioning that I am talking about. I mean if it is his duty to be forward then how can he be at the back? Its just that he lazy in going back and sometimes doesn't go back to his proper position. I said he has been made bitch in one on one situations too.

Admittedly, his tackles are sublime.

Home of Barca Fans