Daniel Alves

Pepe Silvia

That has been one of the major arguments against Dani but logically speaking his crosses are just bonuses and when he misses the target it doesn't harm us in terms of counter attacks/goals allowed. Also, his high crosses into the area do produce magic when one of the midgets makes contact, so don't conveniently forget that. (Villa's header most recently)

His real value comes in open field attack, hooking up with Messi on the right side and drawing out defenders. His low crosses are still spectacular and he finds Barca players up top of the box more often than not.

Agree with those who say he does need some time off to regain focus, form and motivation. He is one of our valued players still in my humble opinion.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I agree with your sentiment but there's no point in trying to shove him into our defensive line at times when he is simply not the player we need. He'll still be an important player but he's kind of weening down as Montoya succeeds him. That's why next season should actually be better for him. He won't be playing when he's tired or off form or lacks focus and we'll actually see Dani at his best when we need him.

Pepe Silvia

I find it impossible for him to be weening down (no matter how off kilter his defense has been) when his offensive contributions are still there. His link ups have to be matched by Montoya's, who when able, will be only likely to match or surpass Dani on the defensive side of the field. There is a tradeoff when you compare the two, and it is obvious that his offensive contributions are somewhat ignored.

In Europe, I still like a fit and motivated Dani Alves defensively 1 v 1 against any top forward in the world. I realize he is not the best defender or even close to what he once was, but his game tends to elevate at the right times and he has a hidden gear that not many can match. When we need him to defend in the highest profile moment, he can do it, he can perform. His grit is shown at that highest level also, only matched by a top-performing Valdes and Puyol, just needs to return to form.

Pepe Silvia

All fine n dandy but expect Messi to be stranded even more than he already is. That's the tradeoff and I have nothing against Montoya.

Kerrybai

All fine n dandy but expect Messi to be stranded even more than he already is. That's the tradeoff and I have nothing against Montoya.
With Abidal at LB our defence seemed far more organised when dealing with counter attacks. With Alves and Alba both playing together we seem to lose our shape in defence. Yes there is a trade off going forward with Montoya over Alves but with Alba in the team it might be a worthwhile trade-off. Mind you I would much prefer Alves on the pitch if Montya could adapt to the LB position.

AvocadoCake

40 mil for both, no complaints! Personally I've been wanting us to cash in on Dani since Montoya's stellar performances early in the season. Meanwhile...

Tevez-Falcao
?-?-?-?
?-?-?-Dani
Valdes

Indignado

Prasining Dani Alves' supposed offensive qualities is nothing but nostalgia. He's the player who made the most crosses in the Champions League and I can't remember a single one who hit the net in the end. This season's outcome is directly related with Alves. The amount of times he gets the ball on the flanks is countless and yet nothing results from these attacks. With the kind of space he has, the best full backs in the world would have assisted their teammates a dozen times and his famous link-ups with Messi are also only part of the past. People talk about Piqué's downfall but In my opinion, Alves' development is even worse.

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

Prasining Dani Alves' supposed offensive qualities is nothing but nostalgia. He's the played who made the most crosses in the Champions League and I can't remember a single one who hit the net in the end. This season's outcome is directly related with Alves. The amount of times he gets the ball on the flanks is countless and yet nothing results from these attacks. With the kind of space he has, the best full backs in the world would have assisted their teammates a dozen times and his famous link-ups with Messi are also only part of the past. People talk about Piqué's downfall but In my opinion, Alves' development is even worse.

I'd have to agree. With Messi staying more central, Alves is at a loss as to what to do with the ball, and his crosses are rarely even near a Barça player. Better to have Alba providing the width and speed on the flank, and Montoya (or other more conservative defender) on the right. I'd go so far as to say CL top opponents aren't really threatened by Alves, and let him have the space.

If he could just make decent shots and crosses, he'd be a real threat. One has to wonder why he is so poor on anything but short passes and dribbling. If I was coaching him in training, that's all I'd have him work on all day.

Stric

Prasining Dani Alves' supposed offensive qualities is nothing but nostalgia. He's the played who made the most crosses in the Champions League and I can't remember a single one who hit the net in the end. This season's outcome is directly related with Alves. The amount of times he gets the ball on the flanks is countless and yet nothing results from these attacks. With the kind of space he has, the best full backs in the world would have assisted their teammates a dozen times and his famous link-ups with Messi are also only part of the past. People talk about Piqué's downfall but In my opinion, Alves' development is even worse.

True dat.

I don't even understand how many people don't see that Alves has been by far one of our weakest links this season. It would be a bad decision not to sell him if a good offer from Monaco comes. He's 30, after all. We should be happy that there's any interest in him, let alone from a rich club willing to spend.

Home of Barca Fans