Daniel Alves

Ursegor

World Champion
I don't even understand how many people don't see that Alves has been by far one of our weakest links this season.

I see it like that as well but the coaching staff is mostly to blame for Alves' performances. For example if I'm a coach and see Alves putting in one pointless cross after another into the empty box with no centerforward upfront, I will tell him to stop doing it. Assuming that Alves is surely not ignoring Tito's instructions, I can only imagine that Tito is simply not telling him to stop. So either Tito doesn't see what Alves is doing wrong or he sees it but is content with it. Whatever it is - it's Tito's fault.

Same thing goes for Alves venturing forward too much. A simple "stay back" instruction would suffice, no? After all he has shown that he can also stay back and defend many times.

Countless times Alves has been tucked in way too much this season, leaving the wide player completely unmarked. But that's mostly a tactical mistake. If he'd mark the wide player, there would be a gap in the middle instead. The organization of the whole back 4 is off in such a scene.

Most of these faults are rather tactical than individual faults. Except at the beginning of the season when he was fighting with injuries, he hasn't shown many individual weaknesses. It's not like wide players are beating and making a fool out of him constantly. His major fault is that he's playing more like a winger than a defender many times but that's a tactical weakness. It's like Tito hasn't realized that there is no Abidal anymore on the other side of the pitch to compensate for Alves' forward runs.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I read in Mundo Deportivo that his ex wife is his agent :lol:

:amazed:

Makes little sense unless its a ploy to get his ex a nice payday via a transfer, thereby splitting the commission that often goes to an agent with her

Last edited:
F

Flavia

They seem to have a good relationship, though. And she has their kids interest in mind, too.

psychotsek

I see it like that as well but the coaching staff is mostly to blame for Alves' performances. For example if I'm a coach and see Alves putting in one pointless cross after another into the empty box with no centerforward upfront, I will tell him to stop doing it. Assuming that Alves is surely not ignoring Tito's instructions, I can only imagine that Tito is simply not telling him to stop. So either Tito doesn't see what Alves is doing wrong or he sees it but is content with it. Whatever it is - it's Tito's fault.

Same thing goes for Alves venturing forward too much. A simple "stay back" instruction would suffice, no? After all he has shown that he can also stay back and defend many times.

Countless times Alves has been tucked in way too much this season, leaving the wide player completely unmarked. But that's mostly a tactical mistake. If he'd mark the wide player, there would be a gap in the middle instead. The organization of the whole back 4 is off in such a scene.

Most of these faults are rather tactical than individual faults. Except at the beginning of the season when he was fighting with injuries, he hasn't shown many individual weaknesses. It's not like wide players are beating and making a fool out of him constantly. His major fault is that he's playing more like a winger than a defender many times but that's a tactical weakness. It's like Tito hasn't realized that there is no Abidal anymore on the other side of the pitch to compensate for Alves' forward runs.

Will quote the entire post cause imo it sums up what was wrong with Barca last season. Tito's absence or inability or maybe both.
There are teams in La Liga playing so much better while having half of our roster.
And I don't thing that a coach like Pellegrini or Simeone wouldn't want players like Alexis, Alves or Villa in their team. They wouldn't perform worst than they had this year for FCB under proper management .

PaCmAn

@barcastuff: Alves: "Rumours linking me to PSG and Monaco? I'm a Barcelona player, I'm very happy here, but I don't rule out any option." [canal+france]

Barça should cash in on him, been flirting with France for like 2 seasons now.

Stric

@barcastuff: Alves: "Rumours linking me to PSG and Monaco? I'm a Barcelona player, I'm very happy here, but I don't rule out any option." [canal+france]

Barça should cash in on him, been flirting with France for like 2 seasons now.

Make it happen, :tito: . It would be good to sell both him and Valdes to Monaco. We ought to sell our players to these wealthy clubs.

Antimadridista1

Yes but if you sell him, we'll need to buy another right back at the top level.
When I'm reading what you guys saying about Montoya, I think that you're overrating him SOOOOOOO much. This lad is a good defender, but he isn't clearly world class. I mean, just have a look at the huge fault he made yesterday who gave the penalty to Valladolid. What was that ?
And don't forget that Alves is one of the main reason why Neymar wants to come to Barcelona (they are very good friends and when Neymar will come, they will most probably stay together along next season).

I wish that Dani wil stay next season and that we'll sell him to Paris or Monaco before the world cup and replace him by a guy like Cuadrado or Danilo from FC Porto.

Last edited:

Stric

Yes but if you sell him, we'll need to buy another right back at the top level.
When I'm reading what you guys saying about Montoya, I think that you're overrating him SOOOOOOO much. This lad is a good defender, but he isn't clearly world class. I mean, just have a look at the huge fault he made yesterday who gave the penalty to Valladolid. What was that ?
And don't forget that Alves is one of the main reason why Neymar wants to come to Barcelona (they are very good friends and when Neymar will come, they will most probably stay together along next season).

I wish that Dani wil stay next season and that we'll sell him to Paris or Monaco before the world cup and replace him by a guy like Cuadrado or Danilo from FC Porto.

I disagree.

IMHO, if we sell Alves, we won't have to buy a high-profile right back. Any decent right back would be fine, since Montoya would take over the first spot. It could even end up with Barcelona making money. I don't think Montoya is overrated. If anything, he's been underrated by the staff. Montoya at his current level is almost as good and at times better than Alves has been for the past 2 seasons. If he develops further, he'll be at least as good as an on-form Alves, possibly even better. Who knows? Many other clubs have recognized his talent and are interested in signing him. If he gets his chances and continues to develop, I have no doubt he'll be one of the world's best RBs in a few years' time.

What happened yesterday is an arguable situation. I won't go so far as to say that it was clearly not a penalty, but it was questionable. Many referees wouldn't call that a foul. In fact, it was very close to the absolute perfect tackle in such a situation. Besides, even if he did make a mistake and even if it was his fault, at least he was there to defend, in defense, in the box, tracking back... something that Alves hasn't done in months. I suggest you rewatch the game and keep a close eye on Montoya to see what a huge contribution he makes to all parts of the game. Yesterday he made a huge player like Alves look like a one-trick pony.

I couldn't care less about Neymar having buddies in Barcelona, at the moment. I'd rather he didn't come at all, but it's not up to me. :lol: Using that theory in order to keep an expensive player in the squad while there are many reasons to sell him doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:

JackSparrow

Its very interesting situation with our wingbacks this off season. Everyone except Alba is linked with other clubs. Alves, Adriano with Monaco and PSG and Montoya with Inter. And Abidal not likely to renew. Surely not all of them will go out, but I suspect at least one of them will leave besides Abidal. Wish he stayed tho.

barca7788

Nepali Cule
alves`s been very very poor in defending these days. and as many had already commented we would be better with montoya n alba than alves n alba. we should try to get as much money as we can for alves.

Antimadridista1

I disagree.

IMHO, if we sell Alves, we won't have to buy a high-profile right back. Any decent right back would be fine, since Montoya would take over the first spot. It could even end up with Barcelona making money. I don't think Montoya is overrated. If anything, he's been underrated by the staff. Montoya at his current level is almost as good and at times better than Alves has been for the past 2 seasons. If he develops further, he'll be at least as good as an on-form Alves, possibly even better. Who knows? Many other clubs have recognized his talent and are interested in signing him. If he gets his chances and continues to develop, I have no doubt he'll be one of the world's best RBs in a few years' time.

What happened yesterday is an arguable situation. I won't go so far as to say that it was clearly not a penalty, but it was questionable. Many referees wouldn't call that a foul. In fact, it was very close to the absolute perfect tackle in such a situation. Besides, even if he did make a mistake and even if it was his fault, at least he was there to defend, in defense, in the box, tracking back... something that Alves hasn't done in months. I suggest you rewatch the game and keep a close eye on Montoya to see what a huge contribution he makes to all parts of the game. Yesterday he made a huge player like Alves look like a one-trick pony.

I couldn't care less about Neymar having buddies in Barcelona, at the moment. I'd rather he didn't come at all, but it's not up to me. :lol: Using that theory in order to keep an expensive player in the squad while there are many reasons to sell him doesn't make much sense to me.

Sorry but I disagree too. How can you say that the actual Montoya is at the same level ? He doesn't add anything offensively and that's the main strength of Dani because playing like a right winger and defending very well when he has to (I can just tell you to look at the Clasicos of the last years where Dani didn't let CR7 express himself) .
Actually, Dani is probably in decline but he's still one of the best in the world (with Philip Lahm).

As I said before, Montoya is a good defender but doesn't know how to be dangerous offensively ; Once again, look at yesterday's match : he had the ball many times on the right side and lost it because he didn't know how to dribble and hasn't any relation with our forwards.

Let's be honnest ; if he was so good than what you're actually saying and if he Dani was leaving this summer, I think that Martin would have start a lot of matchs during the second part of the season (he did during the first part because of Dani's injury).

The fact that he didn't progress during this season is probably because of the coaching staff which didn't give him the opportunity to play but he has a loooooot of things to work if he wants to replace our Dani because offensively and defensively there's a world btw them (don't tell me that Martin is better defensively because my argument will be that the young lad doesn't really attack and he doesn't let much spaces behind him).

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans