Daniel Alves

Maria

I think Neymar's arrival will guarantee Alves his position at the club, for now at least.

Why? The club should keep him if they think that he could still help us or if they think that Tito could balance somehow the defence with Alba and Dani being at the same time on the pitch(which I doubt), not because they would make Neymar unhappy. Besides Rosell already brought Edmilson to babby sit our new signing..

That just what he want.He is using relationship with Neymar as a leverage to saty here.The way he played last season I would sell him the moment transfer window opens...:)

Really? For one bad year out of 5 amazing ones you would sell him? If that's how you think then we would have to sell all our players.

Very true, but can you argue that Alves has been very mediocre (to his own standards, he was in my eyes the best RB in the world for a couple of years) last year?

Not as mediocre as Puyol or Pique though..

Mr Hulot

Very true, but can you argue that Alves has been very mediocre (to his own standards, he was in my eyes the best RB in the world for a couple of years) last year?

In my opinion he was again this year very good offensively, but he was a defensive liability. The reason is, that he lost some of his amazing pace. It is not that Alba is a better defender( he is worst in my opinion), but he possesses this amazing pace and he is able to get away with it, like Alves could all this years. He is still, though a very entertaining player, better than Montoya at least for now and he should stay as he has a contract with the club. Last night he was Brazil's playmaker and best passer. Still not bad for a RB!

Maria

In my opinion he was again this year very good offensively, but he was a defensive liability. The reason is, that he lost some of his amazing pace. It is not that Alba is a better defender( he is worst in my opinion), but he possesses this amazing pace and he is able to get away with it, like Alves could all this years. He is still, though a very entertaining player, better than Montoya at least for now and he should stay as he has a contract with the club. Last night he was Brazil's playmaker and best passer. Still not bad for a RB!

Dani has lost some of his pace and he does look worst than 2 years ago, but I don't think that is a coincidence that this also coincided with Abi being replaced at LB by Adriano/Alba.

Mr Hulot

I agree. Abidal had the tactical awareness to balance Dani's forward runs and when facing a counter attack we had at least a 3 man defense and a lot of times a 4 man defense with Busquets dropping to the middle and Pique was acting as a RB until Dani's return. Nowadays there is only Busquets that is dropping back and Pique has lost as well some of his pace, so he is not as effective as he once was vs LW. (Cristiano says hello!)
But the thing is that Alves has so many qualities as a footballer other than his pace. He has very good first touch vision and agility, so I don't think that he is finished at all as a footballer. A lot of players had to redefine their playing style as they grew older and I hope that Alves will be one of them. If he plays with a more conservative approach, without so many forward runs, acting as playmaker by playing narrow almost next to Busi he will be success for years to come!

P

PhilS

Dani has lost some of his pace and he does look worst than 2 years ago, but I don't think that is a coincidence that this also coincided with Abi being replaced at LB by Adriano/Alba.

The LB change last year was huge for the defensive unit. We can't forget that LB provided lots and lots of offense this year, which just was not the case prior to Alba.

Dani is always open on the right side. There is no other fullback in the world who is always open, who is completely dependable for bringing th ball up and participating as a full-time member of the offense. He also beats his man regularly, cutting inside. He was a crucial player this year, I did not see a decline from prior years.

Although all the Barca defenders deserve criticism for the inadequate defense this year against the top teams, I think the defensive system and the coaching were mostly to blame. Tito bet the farm on a three CB rotation, which failed big time when Puyol and Masch got hurt. In retrospect, it was disastrous to not give Bartra playing time earlier in the year, or to not bring in an experienced CB.

Both FBs go all the way forward at the same time. One is tiny, and the other is small. The team fields only one DM. This setup broke the Barca record for goals scored. It is not a design to let in very few goals, it is supposed to outscore the opponents. So, this worked incredibly well this last year against all but the very top clubs. The team is now responding, it is being transformed to score more goals. This is the Barca way.

barcanuck

The LB change last year was huge for the defensive unit. We can't forget that LB provided lots and lots of offense this year, which just was not the case prior to Alba.

Dani is always open on the right side. There is no other fullback in the world who is always open, who is completely dependable for bringing th ball up and participating as a full-time member of the offense. He also beats his man regularly, cutting inside. He was a crucial player this year, I did not see a decline from prior years.

Although all the Barca defenders deserve criticism for the inadequate defense this year against the top teams, I think the defensive system and the coaching were mostly to blame. Tito bet the farm on a three CB rotation, which failed big time when Puyol and Masch got hurt. In retrospect, it was disastrous to not give Bartra playing time earlier in the year, or to not bring in an experienced CB.

Both FBs go all the way forward at the same time. One is tiny, and the other is small. The team fields only one DM. This setup broke the Barca record for goals scored. It is not a design to let in very few goals, it is supposed to outscore the opponents. So, this worked incredibly well this last year against all but the very top clubs. The team is now responding, it is being transformed to score more goals. This is the Barca way.

Well said. Dani is not the problem in the back line, our system has evolved because of Dani and we can't just replace him with a rookie and think it will give us a better balance. Dani is part of the Barca system which scores 100s of goals a year and will continue to be for the next few years at least.

Jadentheman

Misplaced passes and no defending what so ever.:alves:

Get this fool off the Selecao and hopefully he loses playing time to Montoya at Barca

Mr Hulot

No he doesn't. His crosses are off, but he is the main creative force in this team. He surely outpassed Brazil's midfielders.

Home of Barca Fans