Daniel Alves

serghei

Abidal and Maxwell rarely crossed, Alba rarely crosses. Pedro and Alexis, the wide forwards, rarely cross, Villa rarely crossed. Alves is the only one who regularly puts up crosses.

You think Pep or Tata would have let him cross if they tought his crosses were bad? Man, that's some twisted logic I must say. I can name a couple of imortant goals all which had a Dani Alves cross at their core, including decisive ones vs Madrid.

Check Fabregas's goal in Real - Barcelona 1-3, Ibra's goal in Barca - Real 1-0 and so on. Check Messi's chest goal vs Estudiantes. Even Iniesta's shot on Stanford Brdidge came after one of Alves's dangerous crosses into the box. These are key matches in wich Daniel Alves's crosses baled us out, so, how can you ignore that many situations? His crosses are bad? For gods sake, I've heard commentators, famous ones, who are in awe of his crossing technique. He had a bad year during which he missed a lot of them. So what? The fact that Xavi also had a poor year regarding assists DOES NOT make him a poor assister.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
You think Pep or Tata would have let him cross if they tought his crosses were bad? Man, that's some twisted logic I must say. I can name a couple of imortant goals all which had a Dani Alves cross at their core, including decisive ones vs Madrid.

Check Fabregas's goal in Real - Barcelona 1-3, Ibra's goal in Barca - Real 1-0 and so on. Check Messi's chest goal vs Estudiantes. Even Iniesta's shot on Stanford Brdidge came after one of Alves's dangerous crosses into the box. These are key matches in wich Daniel Alves's crosses baled us out, so, how can you ignore that many situations? His crosses are bad? For gods sake, I've heard commentators, famous ones, who are in awe of his crossing technique. He had a bad year during which he missed a lot of them. So what? The fact that Xavi also had a poor year regarding assists DOES NOT make him a poor assister.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day... With the number of attempts he makes he is bound to have some crosses resulting in goals.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
If you scroll down, there's four sections, called "Summary", "Offensive", "Defensive", and "Passing", each showing various statistics. Under passing, it shows how many crosses per game he puts in per game, though unfortunately not their accuracy.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
If you scroll down, there's four sections, called "Summary", "Offensive", "Defensive", and "Passing", each showing various statistics. Under passing, it shows how many crosses per game he puts in per game, though unfortunately not their accuracy.
It shows the number of crosses too... keep your mouse pointer on the number below 'crosses'... It shows that he floundered a total of 29 crosses of the 34 attempts he made in the league

That's really a bad output man... I get it that it would be real difficult for him considering he has midgets to aim his crosses to, but he is repeatedly doing it despite the clear lower probablity of making a successful cross, that, by forgoing his defensive duty!!

Last edited:

Two bad seasons, actually. He's been better this season than last season, but let's not pretend he's still the best RB in the world or anything. He's not. Not anymore.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
It shows the number of crosses too... keep your mouse pointer on the number below 'crosses'... It shows that he floundered a total of 29 crosses of the 34 attempts he made in the league

That's really a bad output man... I get it that it would be real difficult for him considering he has midgets to aim his crosses to, but he is repeatedly doing it despite the clear lower probablity of making a successful cross, that, by forgoing his defensive duty!!

Oh, didn't even notice that. :)

It's not that much worse of an output compared to other fullbacks that like to cross the ball: Baines has 11/55 in the league, Marcelo 3/10, Filipe Luis 2/21...

And his CL output is much better for some reason, 3/8... His statistics certainly aren't good, but I doubt he keeps doing it just because and am sure had Tata not wanted him to do that he wouldn't.

Kind of a fun fact, we have the best defense in football (under defensive) (statistically) this season, with less shots conceded than everyone besides Bayern and Dortmund, and one of the lowest fouls per game as well. Interesting :lol:

oz187

He's got 8/42 crosses "successful". Xavi is 13/47. Messi 1/17. Pedro 1/6. Neymar 3/14. Alba 1/7. This is how it is with crosses, most of them "fail". But even if they mean losing possession, that lost possession is around the opponents penalty box. You also have to take account that even the crosses that fail have value in that they make Barca less predicatable.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Crossing is just one of those aspects of the game where it's easy to learn how to do but very hard to master. Most times the balled just gets cleared away, but when a player gets a cross right, you can tell right away he hit it perfectly.

serghei

Two bad seasons, actually. He's been better this season than last season, but let's not pretend he's still the best RB in the world or anything. He's not. Not anymore.

He's still up there with the best. Maybe not the best, but ONE OF. Let's not pretend he's mediocre or smth, he is a top class player.

BerkeleyBernie

Kind of a fun fact, we have the best defense in football (under defensive) (statistically) this season, with less shots conceded than everyone besides Bayern and Dortmund, and one of the lowest fouls per game as well. Interesting :lol:

It's true. As long as Barça outscores the opposition, our defense is fine. The focus, as always, should be on converting more chances, while maintaining the possession that makes it so difficult for opponents to mount successful attacks.

Stric

I think Barca should offer him contract renewal otherwise it will not send a good message of how barca treats non academy players. Apparently Thiago silva did not come because of how barca treated Abidal case. I don't want another case like that, if it is mutual feeling of not renewing then no problem. If it is not then dani alves will speak about how barca did not offer him new contract and all that BS after leaving.

So it's more important to send a message about how Barca treats NON-academy players, than about how Barca treats their own academy players? We have a promising young upcoming RB, from our own ranks. Alves is 30 and on the decline. There's no reason to offer him a renewal. Unless the plan is to have him as the second choice and with lower wages. But I can't see any coach or Alves himself making that happen.

serghei

promising young upcoming RB, from our own ranks

Who, Montoya? Is there a crescendo in his performances? I think not. He can make one OK game and be our worst player in the next three. Not that promising.

There's no reason to offer him a renewal

He's the best of what he have. If we spend a shit load of money and we buy a brilliant right back, then yes, we can let Alves go. Until then, he's a key player for us, even in his 30's. Check how many games did Alves start so far. I reckon over 90% of them. If Montoya was that good, don't you think he would have played more? The fact is, and Tata seems to agree with me, Montoya is not that big of a prospect for us. He may be a decent backup, but not the solution. Not yet and maybe not ever.

I'm happy with Alves so far this season. He has two goals under his belt - one in the thoughest match we had in the league so far - has made plenty of interceptions, played his usual combinative football and seems to be getting along just fine with Alexis - certainly our biggest revelation after Bartra this season. As for the defense, our problems so far were only with the set pieces. Dani was alright so far, and in a couple of games he was even among our best men on the night.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans