Daniel Alves

lostchild

Those players have different roles, Alves role is to make the playing field larger by forcing the opposing team to track him down. Pedro for all he is he can't dribble, he could never take on the role of Alves as he is not capable of engaging several players at once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgWpBqV708I

The very first goal you se in this video explain why Alves is so important for this team, Look at the picture at 0.11 and then at the picture at 0:14, in 2,5 seconds he takes out 3 players and creates a goal out of nothing.

im sorry but im starting to wonder if u were even watching our last season, and the current one.
our game plan was new and surprising few years ago
however today its getting well known and teams know how to stop it, not to mention counter it

in my opinion, our defenders must be defenders first of all,
we dont have the privilege of having an awful defender as Dani anymore , only because he MAY help on attack. (or just throw cross balls to the corner flag. as he usually does)
not to mention his horrible horrible free kicks.. that for some reason he kept taking last season until someone finally realised he is HORRIBLE at that.

we cant continue playing the same way for 3 damn years
if we do, i believe we'll be able to reach a semi-final, sure, and lose to some lowgrade Chelsea again for the good old bunker&counter.

serghei

You need to watch more football

No, actually, I don't. Watch the third goal vs Valladolid and see what Alves did. I saw it, sky sports commentators saw it too. The hate Alves and Alexis get over here is unbelievable.

Few rightbacks can do this kind of stuff:

Last edited:

Meitux

Oh yeah right serghei, find one excuse, one particular moment to justify everything about Alves. A good moment in a generally bad image and performances that everybody sees is enough to say that people hate Alves :lol: Those excuses like find something that he did in the past and like show one good moment in a video are just ridiculous. When obviously in the most of the games he offered nothing going forward and having no imagination of creating something more than spreading pointless crosses around give the ball and being lazy of come back and defend and be average on defending you'll come out and say that defending is not his main job right? But fullbacks defend. I judge both Alves and Alba on their main playing styles which are attacking and Alves hasn't performed in that role and as already mentioned he offers nothing special going forward whatsoever, Alba was very good last year, he's younger hes faster, so what you do when you have two attacking fullbacks? I don't blame them for not having the best of defensive abilities but having two attacking minded fullbacks can't be right, so judging them always in their styles and obviously as been said countless times but everybody including me, to restore some balance in our defence Alves has to make way because he is the one of the two attacking fullbacks that doesn't perform.

Everybody knows that Alba is an attacking minded player but Alves has this sort of image that ''can'' defend and people have expectactions from him to do that stuff when he clearly can't and actually doesn't have the mentality of doing it. The point is clear, you need to take off one of your attacking minded player to put somebody there with better defensive abilities and that will be the one covering when the other goes forward, Alves can't do that, it hurts our defence but you come out and say that's not his role and this is not what he's important for and all that stuff but this needs to change, when he doesn't for what his style is there are no excuses. We can't continue playing him just because of who he was in the past, i don't think it's hard to see that the best thing to do is doing something similar with Abidal. I already know Montoya is unxperienced and doesn't have stable performances but he should get the most time possible in order to improve and certainly it won't have if we just don't trust him to play and continue everytime with Alves when he still performs on average level, i'm not telling to do it right now but Montoya should get more time and as the time comes to see if the's the right one to play that role of the ''defending'' fullback. To make the whole point without hyperboles, we need one defending minded fullback and only one attacking minded into our line up and that should based on performances so Alves is not the right one staying there..

Icarium

Lifestealer
This season alves is not playing worse than last season. He is scoring goals(2), last season nil and creating same number of chances and did not make any notable defence errors. His tackling is good but his heading duels suck. His crossing and speed are not his level anymore, but he is old can't help it. The fact that someone is always covering him in defence does not show his defence problems, and that is how barca has been working for some time right now. But when alba comes back there may be a problem against strong teams with especially good wingers like bayern or real madrid.

He was one of the best Right backs for his incredible speed and awesome crosses. He is putting crosses now also, we have to remember his awesome assist won us supercup. We can't rely on him in defence or attack, he used to bring dynamic characteristic on right side of the pitch which we used to lack. Now he stops the flow sometimes trying to take on defenders on his own ( previously he does pretty well ) but passes back unable to in doing so. Thankfully Alexis is doing so no complaints.

Alves still has that ability to find the ball and players with ease. His first touch is very good, i mean i like how he takes those long balls from mid-field it is key part of our style after all( at least all attacks on the right start from his forward run and finding players in middle). He acts as transition between our half and other team half, we never put much long balls on left side because alves is better than alba/adriano at those.

But alba and alves is not always good, against weak team they will be feared but against strong teams we will have too many problems and everyone complains about our bad defence, how can 1 player cover our entire defence line as pique most of the time stays up front when the other team counters.

lostchild

im shocked at how Barca's style of play managed to change the definition of DEFENDER for fans.

i give up on this discussion.
i will quietly keep hoping we manage to grow a new young promising attack minded DR who can also DEFEND in the near future.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Either we need to give montoya chances to prove himself or buy a new RB who fits barca style, because alves time is coming to an end. It will be like abidal, he will leave at the end of the contract. He publicly criticised barca for abidal mistreatment, board will not renew his contract as he is not getting any younger also.

Trickykid

Do you think they care? They made up their minds, nothing you say will make them change their opinions.
This discussion is becoming ridiculous. There's too much exaggerating going on. It's not even criticism, it's just bashing.

Welcome to barcaforum.com!

... you're absolutely right, btw.

Icarium

Lifestealer
He is still good, but we need to replace him sooner or later anyway, sooner the better. Montoya or a new signing, barca need to figure out before dani loses it all. I am guessing three more seasons(including this) but if we give frequent rest to him he may long last.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Also, if you check the previous link I posted for Alves and look under "passing", he's averaged a grand total of 0.9 crosses this season. Isn't that funny?

kostasgtc

IMO best years of dani surely has passed yet he remains a top class player who cannot be replaced easily.
if i was in charge i whould keep 2 or 3 years further but i whould start examing the options for the future allready.
he cant be amazing as he used to be though he is still good enough.
as for his defencive abilities i thing he is better than alba for exable and when it comes the time he understands that he cannot running for 90' all the flank up and down he will become an abidal style player.

Home of Barca Fans