Daniel Alves

BerkeleyBernie

Alves... What to say?

The guy makes a terrific play, perfect linkup, nice dribbles and *then crosses to the corner flag*... So, I really can't say he was awful, because he was very active and managed to get into great positions (offensively), but then nothing happens so I can't say he was awesome either...

This is what bothers me about Alves. He is by far the most wasteful part of Barça's attack...maybe that's one reason he is open so often, other teams just aren't that worried about his crosses or shots. He's best when working 1-2 passes with Messi on the right, but since Messi has gone middle, we see less of that.

pEllee

Well, perhaps you should take these things in considerations before going on about his crossing;

1) He's crossing to midgets. Difficult technique since you have to strike it with power and bend it around the defenders. Which is difficult to defend against and easy to score from but the problem is that it's so hard to get those on target.

2) He's usually sprinting up and down the right side, meaning his accuracy of the final ball will be even worse.

A bad crosser of the ball can't produce that in one single game. Do I need to give you links to his assists as well?

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

A bad crosser of the ball can't produce that in one single game.

Apparently, they can; you've just given us proof. :lol: His shooting (like Xavi's and Iniesta's) also sucks, but I'm sure you can find games where they've all shot well.

Well, perhaps you should take these things in considerations before going on about his crossing;

1) He's crossing to midgets. Difficult technique since you have to strike it with power and bend it around the defenders. Which is difficult to defend against and easy to score from but the problem is that it's so hard to get those on target.

2) He's usually sprinting up and down the right side, meaning his accuracy of the final ball will be even worse.

Exactly. It's why Barça takes short corners (at least, they used to). It's a low percentage play. Which is why I'd prefer to see Alves do anything except cross the ball; there are better options (i.e. dribble baseline and cutback pass). When Messi is near him, he will almost always give the ball back to him.

Truthist

His crossing has been been embarrassing for a number of years yet you see the likes of Xavi constantly passing to him even when someone like Neymar is free nearby.

Anyway, I'm more worried about his defending, he's becoming a liability at the back.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The Observer

Alves is a very good crosser. Ibrahimovic winning goal in El Clasico, Messi winning goal against Estudiantes in CWC final, Fabregas goal in El Clasico in 2011, Neymar goal in the Supercopa against Atletico. Surely some more important crosses in big games which I've forgotten. For a team that doesn't play with a fixed focal point upfront, he's an amazing crosser. Last game wasn't his day but neither was it for anyone else. If Iniesta can't control a ball and Busquets gets dispossessed 4 times and Messi gets only 1 shot on taget you know the whole team was off after 5 games in 13 days.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Come on. Alves is arguebly in the top 3 of best RB I have seem play, in his prima so explosive, fast and accurate. Nowadays, not so much anymore. He was great between 2006-2011, but he hasn't been important for us in a long time, slow and steady he is declining. Does anyone have very detailed career statistics for him? Can't find them online... But I am very curious to see his assitsts and goals, something he was known for in his best years but nowasays not so much anymore. 20+ odd assists was normal for him back then, I don't see him reaching that number anymore. Might be wrong, though.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Come on. Alves is arguebly in the top 3 of best RB I have seem play, in his prima so explosive, fast and accurate. Nowadays, not so much anymore. He was great between 2006-2011, but he hasn't been important for us in a long time, slow and steady he is declining. Does anyone have very detailed career statistics for him? Can't find them online... But I am very curious to see his assitsts and goals, something he was known for in his best years but nowasays not so much anymore. 20+ odd assists was normal for him back then, I don't see him reaching that number anymore. Might be wrong, though.
alves.jpg

118 assists since 02/03. Wow.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
alves.jpg

118 assists since 02/03. Wow.

2013-2014: 2
2012-2013: 12
2011-2012: 20
2010-2011: 20
2009-2010: 16
2008-2009: 19
2007-2008: 18
2006-2007: 8
2005-2006: 4
2004-2005: 0
2003-2004: 0
2002-2003: 0

Let's hope that 12 assists last season was an anomaly and he returns to 17-20 a season, but tbh I think he won't reach that level anymore.

Also, I want more detailed stats on his assists. How did they come about? Over the ground for tap-ins or shots from inside the box, or were they crosses? My gut feeling says the former, where he bombed down the right wing, overlapping the opposition's back and then a hard, low ball through the box to find Messi, Pedro, Villa etc. The criticism he gets, also from me, is for his crossing. I believe - but I might be wrong! - that most of his assists weren't from crossing. And in that case, why would he cross as much as he does now? It is wasting possession, instead of crossing he could try a 1-2 or give the ball back to Busquets, Xavi or Messi.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Dani & Tata will be the ones giving interviews tonight ahead of their 1900 training session...I imagine a certain Argentine will be the focal point of questions

Home of Barca Fans