Daniel Alves

JamDav1982

Dani Alves doesn't deserve to start on this team anymore.
Why Tata would play a returning from injury player over a match-fit player is beyond me. Montoya isn't the best and has a lot to improve but Dani isn't any better than him. A lot of blame continues to fall on Pique but look at who he's surrounded by: Alves & Mascherano. How many times have we conceded on counters from Dani's side and he is nowhere to be found on screen? How many times are we hit on the counter and Mascherano attempts a slide tackle leaving Pique alone. Both happened again today, 1 resulting in a goal (the first one) and if it wasn't for Busquets last second tackle probably a 3rd conceded.

We just have to face it that Dani isn't the RB he was from 2008-2012. Our backline isn't as strong as those years either and Dani's downfall is one of those reasons. Jordi Alba is our new attacking fullback so we need a right sided Abidal to compliment him.

Alves is still better than Montoya.

You complain of Alves not being match fit but how do you expect him to get there if you dont play him?

He is the starting right back at the club and a good bit better than Montoya, if he had not started today he would have gone weeks and weeks without first team football by the time the season starts up again in January.

BarçAjax8

Alves is still better than Montoya.

You complain of Alves not being match fit but how do you expect him to get there if you dont play him?

He is the starting right back at the club and a good bit better than Montoya, if he had not started today he would have gone weeks and weeks without first team football by the time the season starts up again in January.

Haven't you seen how managers bring a player back to match fitness? They ease a player back in giving them 15-20 minutes at the end of matches. Throwing a player back in, giving them a full 90 away against a tough side that plays well at home isn't smart. Dani could have continued to train and work on coming back after the break. He didn't contribute anything today that Montoya isn't capable of. At this day & time Dani is a replaceable player.

Cule4life

The Culest
Haven't you seen how managers bring a player back to match fitness? They ease a player back in giving them 15-20 minutes at the end of matches. Throwing a player back in, giving them a full 90 away against a tough side that plays well at home isn't smart. Dani could have continued to train and work on coming back after the break. He didn't contribute anything today that Montoya isn't capable of. At this day & time Dani is a replaceable player.

Mate its pointless arguing with him. He always disagrees with logic. Thats how he rolls

No. He is not just a goddamn right back, he is a player that has many offensive duties. Once you understand that you'll be able to cut him some slack. He makes up for his errors and then some with his offensive vision - check the pass for Sergi Roberto.

You are just making excuses. If he cant track back play him as a winger and Montoya as right back. A right back has to defend first. What if he did that in a big game where the margins are very thin?

Last edited:

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
The only chance that Getafe really had from Alves's side was the goal, after that they were kept quiet. And for the person who said Alves offered nothing that Montoya couldn't have, don't be ridiculous. Alves is infinitely better in dribbling, link-up and decision making, he was a breath of fresh air going forward as he actually looked dangerous.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
His only questionable play was the goal. He made a poor decision. Aside from that he had a good game. Saying he didn't contribute anything Montoya couldn't have is as ridiculous as it gets.

Alves has declined, but he is still better than Montoya. Montoya needs much improvement still.

BarçAjax8

The only chance that Getafe really had from Alves's side was the goal, after that they were kept quiet. And for the person who said Alves offered nothing that Montoya couldn't have, don't be ridiculous. Alves is infinitely better in dribbling, link-up and decision making, he was a breath of fresh air going forward as he actually looked dangerous.

His only questionable play was the goal. He made a poor decision. Aside from that he had a good game. Saying he didn't contribute anything Montoya couldn't have is as ridiculous as it gets.

Alves has declined, but he is still better than Montoya. Montoya needs much improvement still.

You can also argue that this wasn't down to Alves picking things up but rather the team began to take control of the game in midfield and controlled the tempo. Dani was easily beaten a few times from Getafe's left back and crosses were allowed in our box but hey, that happens. Dani is a great dribbler but after that his crosses are useless and his link-up play was limited to playing simple passes to his nearest team mate.

My point isn't really that Dani is bad or that Montoya is better than him. It's that ALBA is so much better than any of our fullbacks. Our backline needs to be balanced out and playing 2 attacking backs (+Mascherano @CB) is why we are so weak defensively. Imagine if Valdes didn't have such a stellar start to the season where we'd be sitting. Alba is great going forward and hustles back to defend, you start him. The right side needs a more defensive minded player who can do what Abidal used to.

Alarcón

He's not "infinitely better" than Montoya at either of the things you mentioned. You act like Dani is a semi god and Montoya some crappy Getafe reject. But I guess that's just the way it is, once you have your mind set on something, it's hard to change it and you immerse yourself in exaggerations and overstatements to prove your point.

Let's just be objective for a moment, he had an ok game, but he was by no means a lot better than Montoya has been in the last couple of games; he could do a lot better so your timing of hailing him and belittling Montoya is strange to say the least. You saying he was a "fresh breath of air and actually dangerous" makes me question your integrity and objectiveness, considering Montoya was often in very dangerous positions and even had an assist in the last game he played.

Cule4life

The Culest
He's not "infinitely better" than Montoya at either of the things you mentioned. You act like Dani is a semi god and Montoya some crappy Getafe reject. But I guess that's just the way it is, once you have your mind set on something, it's hard to change it and you immerse yourself in exaggerations and overstatements to prove your point.

Let's just be objective for a moment, he had an ok game, but he was by no means a lot better than Montoya has been in the last couple of games; he could do a lot better so your timing of hailing him and belittling Montoya is strange to say the least. You saying he was a "fresh breath of air and actually dangerous" makes me question your integrity and objectiveness, considering Montoya was often in very dangerous positions and even had an assist in the last game he played.

+1

fcbdna

Banned

I have watched Montoya this season and I have to say Alves is Eons ahead of him.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Alves is better than Montoya in attack. His final delivery is not great at all, but linkup and movement does help out in opening up the opposition. However he still is prone to straying way too far forward in situations that don't call for it. If he's not involved in the play at all, he should be reserved and waiting for the opportune moment.

fcbdna

Banned
Alves is better than Montoya in attack. His final delivery is not great at all, but linkup and movement does help out in opening up the opposition. However he still is prone to straying way too far forward in situations that don't call for it. If he's not involved in the play at all, he should be reserved and waiting for the opportune moment.

Emm Montoya isn't better at defending either.. . So what am I missing here?

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Emm Montoya isn't better at defending either.. . So what am I missing here?

Montoya usually is better defensively, though he has struggled form-wise this season (same with Alves). Besides, Montoya is still a youngster, improving and learning game by game.

Home of Barca Fans