Daniel Alves

M

Madara Uchiha

Didn't Montoya play more under tata than Tito? Tito hated la masia players and it's partially his fault Thiago left. People are reluctant to criticize Tito since he passed away (RIP) but he was pretty stubborn and didn't play youngsters as much as people thought he would. We haven't had a good coach that had support since Pep. Tata was good but nobody supported him.

+1. I feel bad for Tito, but he wasn't really a good coach. Stubborn, had a hand in Thiago leaving, and looked out of his depth in important matches. Tata was better imo (seems to be better than Lucho so far too) but he wasn't exactly world class either. Pep was the last world class coach we had. Which is to be expected when you have a board that keeps hiring rookie coaches.

Last edited:

Alik

They are far superior to any of us and work closely with the players everyday, so their opinions hold weight and it i relevant none of them fancied Montoya over Alves.

Probably for reasons other than skill... Otherwise Douglas wouldn't be playing over Montoya.

JamDav1982

Probably for reasons other than skill... Otherwise Douglas wouldn't be playing over Montoya.

I agree that Douglas is not a better player than Montoya.

But I think the reason they are playing him is in the false hope that some of his atrributes can lead to him doing a job.

I think they just dont rate Montoya and have accepted he is going.

PhilS

Alves continues to be quite clearly the best Barca RB. Every game, he continues to bring the ball up field very well, he is one of the best fullbacks in the world at that important job.

If you ever get a chance to see Barca play, you may notice that the position that Alves plays is primarily offensive. This is different from the fullback roll with almost all other teams.

OK, Alves is not shooting at all, this is not good. He is not getting anywhere as many assists as he was a couple of years ago. But the team does not have any better options right now.

Any competition for Alves is from Adriano only, but Adriano has not been looking too perky recently. Adriano can play irregularly and rarely play poorly, he plays both sides plus almost every other position, he completely owns the #3 fullback job. Montoya's chance has expired, I don't think we will see him play again for this team, it is time to stop talking about him. The team has not given up on Douglas yet, though that one pass yesterday should keep him out of important games indefinitely unless two fullbacks in front of him go down.

M

Madara Uchiha

Alves continues to be quite clearly the best Barca RB. Every game, he continues to bring the ball up field very well, he is one of the best fullbacks in the world at that important job.

If you ever get a chance to see Barca play, you may notice that the position that Alves plays is primarily offensive. This is different from the fullback roll with almost all other teams.

OK, Alves is not shooting at all, this is not good. He is not getting anywhere as many assists as he was a couple of years ago. But the team does not have any better options right now.

Any competition for Alves is from Adriano only, but Adriano has not been looking too perky recently. Adriano can play irregularly and rarely play poorly, he plays both sides plus almost every other position, he completely owns the #3 fullback job. Montoya's chance has expired, I don't think we will see him play again for this team, it is time to stop talking about him. The team has not given up on Douglas yet, though that one pass yesterday should keep him out of important games indefinitely unless two fullbacks in front of him go down.

It's not hard to be the best RB in a team that has Douglas on it...

Also, Douglas should never play period. If Alves and Adriano get injured I'd rather play Bartra at RB or change the formation.

JamDav1982

It's not hard to be the best RB in a team that has Douglas on it...

Also, Douglas should never play period. If Alves and Adriano get injured I'd rather play Bartra at RB or change the formation.

If push came to shove Douglas may well be the fourth pick for a first team RB.

Nothing so far shows they have much trust in him.

They are more just trying him out. Personally I dont think they see him as 2nd best RB in the squad.

Neymessi

Chances aren't given. Chances are earned, great players force their way into the team. I repeat, it's not Alves fault that, even in his poor form, there's no one better in that spot.

And that is not true.Montoya COULD do better if given the chance.Everybody is being given the chance under lucho.You say montoya is not given a chance because enrique knows he is shit?Then why does he play douglas ahead of montoya.This is proof that lucho is stupid.Montoya deserves a chance ahead of the consistently worst player of barca.Isn't that simple?

Last edited:

JamDav1982

And that is not true.Montoya COULD do better if given the chance.Everybody is being given the chance under lucho.You say montoya is not given a chance because enrique knows he is shit?Then why does he play douglas ahead of montoya.This is proof that lucho is stupid.Montoya deserves a chance ahead of the consistently worst player of barca.Isn't that simple?

Montoya is not better in the final third than Alves even now and that is a big thing for the full back in this system.

Easy to point out all the mistakes Alves has made this season but he has been involved in a lot of the goals and chances created.

Neymessi

Montoya is not better in the final third than Alves even now and that is a big thing for the full back in this system.

Easy to point out all the mistakes Alves has made this season but he has been involved in a lot of the goals and chances created.

In the final third alves crosses 99% of times.I don't know what offensive contribution you are talking about.Saying that montoya is worse in the final third is just vague.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Alves is one of our best signings in last decade and probably the best RB we had in history.

Having acknowledged that, you can't blame it all on him for his current state.
He's simply past it and needed to be replaced instead of watching his Barca legacy being destroyed.
The club didn't handle him well either past few summers where they failed to back him up amid exit rumors. He was loyal and stayed while the board had every opportunity to replace him or stand behind him. They did neither.

Ursegor

World Champion
The funny thing is that the club isn't extending his contract in the hope that the transfer ban will be lifted. They are waiting for the decision of CAS.

I'm just curious. What makes them think Alves will accept their offer when they treat him like this ("you can stay if we can't make signings but otherwise GTFO")? If I was him and the transfer ban remains I would not accept any offer from Barca, negotiate with another club next month, leave Barca with Douglas and Glassiano for next season and screw the club royally.

khaled_a_d

The funny thing is that the club isn't extending his contract in the hope that the transfer ban will be lifted. They are waiting for the decision of CAS.

I'm just curious. What makes them think Alves will accept their offer when they treat him like this ("you can stay if we can't make signings but otherwise GTFO")? If I was him and the transfer ban remains I would not accept any offer from Barca, negotiate with another club next month, leave Barca with Douglas and Glassiano for next season and screw the club royally.

Alves can sign to another club after 26 days and Cas decision will be b4 that but it will give the club a little time to resign him specially with many clubs wanting him

Ursegor

World Champion
He doesn't have to say yes or no to a contract offer straight away. If they offer him a contract next week he can still say: "Chill, I'll check my options in January first." Then he can use it as a tool to squeeze more money out of the club: "€10M contract pls or I'm off to the EPL for free and you can stay with Douglas until 2016."

They should have sold him or extended him long time ago. Right now it will just depend on Alves alone whether he wants to scew the club or not.

Home of Barca Fans