Daniel Alves

Leo_Messi

According to Marca Barto met him alone without his representatives and is willing to pay him 9m per year..

I read it too. Laughable if true. Somebody tell this moronic board that there is a significant jumb from an initial position of 5 million euros a year to 9 million euros a year. It's almost 2 times as much. I would not pay more than 7 million euros annually. Take it or leave it Dani. Provided that this current board or a new one will be able to sign the right, right back in January 2016, we will survive those 4.5 months without Alves.

Somebody should also contact the current board and tell them about RM's combined salary budget. The board is giving our players much bigger wages than what the RM board is giving their players. Not to mention the fact that RM owns 50% of all their players image rights. No wonder that they make more money.

JamDav1982

I read it too. Laughable if true. Somebody tell this moronic board that there is a significant jumb from an initial position of 5 million euros a year to 9 million euros a year. It's almost 2 times as much. I would not pay more than 7 million euros annually. Take it or leave it Dani. Provided that this current board or a new one will be able to sign the right, right back in January 2016, we will survive those 4.5 months without Alves.

Somebody should also contact the current board and tell them about RM's combined salary budget. The board is giving our players much bigger wages than what the RM board is giving their players. Not to mention the fact that RM owns 50% of all their players image rights. No wonder that they make more money.

Not sure where you get this idea that Real pay less on wages.

They have just agreed to pay a 16 year old 80k a week and regularly have made Ronaldo the highest paid player in the world.

Leo_Messi

Not sure where you get this idea that Real pay less on wages.

They have just agreed to pay a 16 year old 80k a week and regularly have made Ronaldo the highest paid player in the world.

I base that on the official numbers in other words the overall wage expenditures of the two teams. Our team has the highest overall salary of ANY sports team on the planet. Take a look at what our players earn and what RM's players earn on average. There is a significant difference. Moreover notice that RM owns 50% of the image rights of each of their players.

I don't recall what Odegaard is earning a week (do you have a link?) but that's an exception.

This is off-topic but take a look at our revenues in the past 2-3 seasons. We have stagnated while other teams have caught up on us and even surpassed us. This during a board that has always claimed that they saved our club from financial ruin which was/is utter bullshit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League

http://www2.deloitte.com/content/da...group/deloitte-football-money-league-2015.PDF

We should not really be ready to give 32 year old players on the downhill such kind of wages. It's quite frankly absurd. Look at the wages that players such as Xavi and Iniesta are on currently. Those wages do no justice to them compared to their actual form. It's more a legacy of their heydays. If we want to strengthen the team further (which we need to like any other top club) then we need to sell/ship of players like Alves or Xavi this summer if our revenues remain unchanged.

JamDav1982

I base that on the official numbers in other words the overall wage expenditures of the two teams. Our team has the highest overall salary of ANY sports team on the planet. Take a look at what our players earn and what RM's players earn on average. There is a significant difference. Moreover notice that RM owns 50% of the image rights of each of their players.

I don't recall what Odegaard is earning a week (do you have a link?) but that's an exception.

This is off-topic but take a look at our revenues in the past 2-3 seasons. We have stagnated while other teams have caught up on us and even surpassed us. This during a board that has always claimed that they saved our club from financial ruin which was/is utter bullshit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League

http://www2.deloitte.com/content/da...group/deloitte-football-money-league-2015.PDF

We should not really be ready to give 32 year old players on the downhill such kind of wages. It's quite frankly absurd. Look at the wages that players such as Xavi and Iniesta are on currently. Those wages do no justice to them compared to their actual form. It's more a legacy of their heydays. If we want to strengthen the team further (which we need to like any other top club) then we need to sell/ship of players like Alves or Xavi this summer if our revenues remain unchanged.

Not sure about 2015 but in 2014 Real were spending more on wages than Barca.

Revenue for Barca is dipping because they have a shirt sponsorship deal and manufacturing deal due to expire soon and will be rectified then. While the club wont go for naming rights on stadium etc that a lot of other clubs are doing.

Leo_Messi

Not sure about 2015 but in 2014 Real were spending more on wages than Barca.

Revenue for Barca is dipping because they have a shirt sponsorship deal and manufacturing deal due to expire soon and will be rectified then. While the club wont go for naming rights on stadium etc that a lot of other clubs are doing.

I don't believe that. All the data that I have been able to find tell me that we spend more money on wages than any other sports team on the planet. Some of our more mediocre players are earning more than the likes of Carvajal, Varane etc. who would be starters in our team.

No, that's not correct. RM's current shirt sponsorship deal is less lucrative than our. The fact is that our revenues have been stagnating for the past 2-3 seasons and part of that problem is to be found when looking at the insane wage bill. Signing a 3 year long contract with a 32 year old Alves and giving him 9 (!) million euros in the process is part of the problem.

JamDav1982

I don't believe that. All the data that I have been able to find tell me that we spend more money on wages than any other sports team on the planet. Some of our more mediocre players are earning more than the likes of Carvajal, Varane etc. who would be starters in our team.

No, that's not correct. RM's current shirt sponsorship deal is less lucrative than our. The fact is that the club's revenues have stagnated for the past 2-3 seasons and part of that problem is our insane wage bill. Signing a 3 year long contract with a 32 year old Alves and giving him 9 (!) million euros in the process is part of the problem.

Real Madrids current deal is not less than Barcas as far as I can see and regardless that is only one team that was ahead of Barcelona already. The teams catching Barca in terms of revenue have benefited from more recent sponsorship deals, stadium naming rights etc.

Can you show me a link that says Barca pay more on wages than Real?

The revenues etc in deloitte have nothing to do with wages paid out. It is all about money the club takes in.

Leo_Messi

Real Madrids current deal is not less than Barcas as far as I can see and regardless that is only one team that was ahead of Barcelona already. The teams catching Barca in terms of revenue have benefited from more recent sponsorship deals, stadium naming rights etc.

Can you show me a link that says Barca pay more on wages than Real?

The revenues etc in deloitte have nothing to do with wages paid out. It is all about money the club takes in.

According to this link both RM and FCB have the same revenues in terms of shirt sponsorship.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11438520/Biggest-shirt-sponsorship-deals-in-football.html

I am not interested in shirt sponsorship deals as they form a tiny percentage of the overall revenues of each team. You missed the overall point as many times before in previous debates. I used Deloitte to show you that our revenues have been stagnating for the past 2-3 seasons. It has nothing to do with the overall wage bill.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/barcelona-player-salaries/

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/real-madrid-players-salaries-2014/

According to those links Alves is earning almost 4 times as much as Carvajal. Have I made my point now?

The main point here is (once again) that we should not be giving 32 year old players on the downhill such kind of absurd high wages. Read post 8480.

JamDav1982

According to this link both RM and FCB have the same revenues in terms of shirt sponsorship.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11438520/Biggest-shirt-sponsorship-deals-in-football.html

I am not interested in shirt sponsorship deals as they form a tiny percentage of the overall revenues of each team. You missed the overall point as many times before in previous debates. I used Deloitte to show you that our revenues have been stagnating for the past 2-3 seasons. It has nothing to do with the overall wage bill.

According to those links Alves is earning almost 4 times as much as Carvajal. Have I made my point now?

The main point here is (once again) that we should not be giving 32 year old players on the downhill such kind of absurd high wages. Read post 8480.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/GSSS-2014-made-for-life.jpg

That link shows Man City and Real Madrid both spend more on wages than Barca at present.

Looking at individual cases means little. Look at how much Real will be paying a 16 year old or an older player like Cassilas.

You did link the revenue and wage bill The fact is that our revenues have been stagnating for the past 2-3 seasons and part of that problem is to be found when looking at the insane wage bill

F

Flavia

It's probably 9m before taxes. Alves won't get a raise, surely.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

Made your point? A Carvajal on his best day couldn't even tie prime Alves shoes. Even today Alves is 10 times the player in attack and not that shabby when defending. We won't be able to sign a RB until January, and even if that player comes in in January (we can of course forget about all the cup tied players) he will probably need a loooooooooong time to adapt. We've had a lot of WC players coming to Barca and struggling the first few months - you think we will buy a prospect RB and just put him in our back line and everything will be fine? That RB position with Montoya until January will suffer a lot, the guy shouldn't even be backup in Villarreal or Malaga - let alone play starting RB for the best team in the world.
We've made boat loads of mistakes in the transfer market: Hleb, Chygrinsky, Keirsson, Caceres, Ibra (money and mental wise) to name a few. Paying Alves 9M instead of 7m when we simply have no choice is not bad in comparison. Maybe some of you guys and girls are to young or just think this is FM. Alves plays more of a RM/RW with some defensive duties than pure RB, a player with superior technique. We should have bought a proper backup last season and loaned/sold Montoya and never bought that Douglas fiasco - now we have to live another 1-2 season with a club legend, poor fu****rs :wave:

Leo_Messi

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/GSSS-2014-made-for-life.jpg

That link shows Man City and Real Madrid both spend more on wages than Barca at present.

Looking at individual cases means little. Look at how much Real will be paying a 16 year old or an older player like Cassilas.

You did link the revenue and wage bill The fact is that our revenues have been stagnating for the past 2-3 seasons and part of that problem is to be found when looking at the insane wage bill

Look at the links I posted. Our wage bill is the biggest of all sports teams. Certainly the biggest in the football world.

Odegaard is exactly an individual case and an exception. I am quite sure that Real Madrid Castilla had a smaller wage bill last season than the wage bill Barça B had last season when both teams were playing in the Segunda División.

My points remain the same though.

Yes, because revenues are closely tied to a team's performances on the football pitch and if you continue to pay insane wages to old players that are way past their best, you are doing your team a great disservice on the short and long run. We are doing that currently with Alves, Iniesta and Xavi.

It's probably 9m before taxes. Alves won't get a raise, surely.

Still too much IMO. Especially as he wants a 3 year long contract.

Made your point? A Carvajal on his best day couldn't even tie prime Alves shoes. Even today Alves is 10 times the player in attack and not that shabby when defending. We won't be able to sign a RB until January, and even if that player comes in in January (we can of course forget about all the cup tied players) he will probably need a loooooooooong time to adapt. We've had a lot of WC players coming to Barca and struggling the first few months - you think we will buy a prospect RB and just put him in our back line and everything will be fine? That RB position with Montoya until January will suffer a lot, the guy shouldn't even be backup in Villarreal or Malaga - let alone play starting RB for the best team in the world.
We've made boat loads of mistakes in the transfer market: Hleb, Chygrinsky, Keirsson, Caceres, Ibra (money and mental wise) to name a few. Paying Alves 9M instead of 7m when we simply have no choice is not bad in comparison. Maybe some of you guys and girls are to young or just think this is FM. Alves plays more of a RM/RW with some defensive duties than pure RB, a player with superior technique. We should have bought a proper backup last season and loaned/sold Montoya and never bought that Douglas fiasco - now we have to live another 1-2 season with a club legend, poor fu****rs :wave:

You are really underrating Carvajal a lot. He is better than Alves when it comes to defending (the main job of a defender) and he is not that bad offensively at all. Rather the contrary. Alves can be replaced but if you expect him to be replaced by a Alves anno 2008 then you are up for a surprise. That won't happen. It all depends on the quality of his substitute.

Mind you I want Alves to stay (read my post number 8164 in this thread) but not for every price.

Replacing the arguably most influential right back/wing-back in the past 10 years will be a hell of a job. It's very easy to underestimate the current declining Alves but people tend to have a short memory when it comes to football. For several seasons in a row Alves was an absolute key element of our team. Similarly at Sevilla. I have never seen a right back that was more suited to our playing style than Alves. His linkup play with Messi was at times out of this world. Just take a look at the enormous amount of assists that he has provided.

Watching him nowadays is indeed a anti-climax compared to his heydays but even today he is undoubtedly among the best right backs out there. That's how good he is.

We should never underestimate his role in the dressing room either. Character's like him don't grow on the trees. They are a very rare trait nowadays.

Give the man his contract extension and then buy his replacement in January next year or the summer of 2016.

If not then there is nothing more to do other than wishing all the best at PSG. I for sure will miss him. A lot.

serghei

Look at the links I posted. Our wage bill is the biggest of all sports teams. Certainly the biggest in the football world.

Odegaard is exactly an individual case and an exception. I am quite sure that Real Madrid Castilla had a smaller wage bill last season than the wage bill Barça B had last season when both teams were playing in the Segunda División.

My points remain the same though.

Yes, because revenues are closely tied to a team's performances on the football pitch and if you continue to pay insane wages to old players that are way past their best, you are doing your team a great disservice on the short and long run. We are doing that currently with Alves, Iniesta and Xavi.

Still too much IMO. Especially as he wants a 3 year long contract.

You are really underrating Carvajal a lot. He is better than Alves when it comes to defending (the main job of a defender) and he is not that bad offensively at all. Rather the contrary. Alves can be replaced but if you expect him to be replaced by a Alves anno 2008 then you are up for a surprise. That won't happen. It all depends on the quality of his substitute.

Mind you I want Alves to stay (read my post number 8164 in this thread) but not for every price.

I agree. Except I don't rate Carvajal as highly on the defensive part.

Home of Barca Fans