Daniel Alves

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Then everyone has the right to be mad about the signing, not sure why anyone should be surprised then.

Agreed here , if it's not for quality then bring in him as a coach.

I think he will still be able to offer something on the pitch and that's why he got signed. I just don't see it with Dest or Mingueza , nor do we have anyone as a RW , and no Dembele isn't an alternative.

Laplacian

Forum De Amigo optimists trying to be positive about a 38 year old diver coming back. This is about an old man Xavi trusts returning to try and teach same things Xavi was used to 10-12 years ago.

Won't make much difference anyway

Just funny to see fans bending over backwards to make excuses like he's a reliable player

The decline of a club starts with its fans. It's normal.

serghei

Our ambition right now is to get to the R16 and get top four in the league, and we're not getting an impact player who would considerably help us achieve those goals in January. We don't have the money or salary cap for it.

I expect Luuk to leave in January.

Exactly.

serghei

I think you are missing the point here, it isn't about what he brings but what he doesn't.

-This squad is terrible, there is no way around that, and we have so many holes that we need to fill just to be able to compete with well oiled machines like Sociedad and Seville for CL spot. A DM, an athletic experienced CB, a quick wingers, a goal scorers and a GK are all areas of immediate need.

-No one is expecting us to address half of those issues in winter, but at least trying to fix couple of those will help massively.

-We have 23 squad players before Alves, all whom under contract and unlikely to accept to be phased out in January. Alves is player 24.

-Alves simply doesn't fix any of this, he isn't quick, he isn't a true winger and unable to play as RB anymore either. More of RWB. He isn't a CB, DM, GK, goal scorer.
-His signings follows the same logic of Luuk, we were only capable of getting a player in last minute of transfer window, we got Luuk for free, only for less than a season, we aren't even paying his full wages. Low risk signing because we are beggars :banghead:

-Unlike Luuk we have time to think about our possibilities in the winter, and we came in with Alves.

-I doubt anyone would have defended Alves if his history was tied to another club, let's say he was playing for a Juve/Milan/Liverpool/Manu side in his prime and had same success, would anyone defend the signing? I honestly doubt it. There is a lot of PR/Nostalgia/nepotism in the deal.

-Alves is not really a leader and was never one of the team captains anywhere he played iirc, a winner maybe but not a leader. There is a distinction here.

The Alves deal simply says our ambitions and planning for this season is on Luuk de Jong level and give us no hope it would improve to Braithwaite one

It seems to me that you're contradicting yourself.

You said the other days something like we have too many young players, and that we should bring in more 24-28 years old mature players that can make a difference (since the ones we have are bums like Coutinho, Lenglet, Umtiti etc.).

But the problem is you need serious cash for that. The only players we can bring in for next to nothing and pay them very low salaries are a) unknown youngsters that may be good or raw as hell (but then you don't like that either since we have too many), b) oldies (you don't like that either), c) trash players like Luuk De Jong (I suppose you don't like that either).

Take your pick. Sounds to me that you haven't fully got used to the fact that the way forward is with youngsters as the main core. It's a tough road, but it's forced on us for 1-2 seasons probably. There's no money in the immediate future for important signings in the 24-28 years old group. I agree we need that, but it can't be done because of the financial situation.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Let me ask some of you this question: Would you be happier if we didn't sign anyone in January instead of signing one player in Dani Alves on a 6 months deal?

I'd love for us to sign someone like Karim Adeyemi in January, or an actual striker that's good to help us achieve our goals for this year, or maybe even a top CB to help out the defence.

It is however not possible. We can spend less than 10m on transfers + salaries in January, and no great player would come less than 10m unless a team does us a huge favour by loaning us a player for free while also paying most of that player's salary.

Bobo32

I think the economic situation is MUCH better than some here believe.
Laporta put many papers on the previous board, and Tebas feels the need to show who is boss, but I believe Barcelona will really spend a lot of money this summer, if not already in the winter if the right opportunity arrives.

Birdy

Let me ask some of you this question: Would you be happier if we didn't sign anyone in January instead of signing one player in Dani Alves on a 6 months deal?

YES!!!

Because it's not something, of even minimal value, over nothing, as most falsely think here.
It's about the damage his presence will inflict.
It's about something not even positive, something negative that is worse compared to just nothing

It's not +>0
It's rather - < 0

And as khaled wrote above,
- IF one is not completely blinded by emotion -
You better be able to see why this transfer is propelled by Nostalgia and Nepotism, rather than any 'market opportunity'

Rory

Don't really see why people are losing their shit over Alves being signed. This isn't a sign Alves and not sign Cancelo scenario or something equally as ridiculous.

Possible positives:

- Dest, Migueza, Roberto could maybe learn a thing or two from arguably the greatest RB of all time.
- If he manages to start ahead of them based on being better then we have a better RB than we did before.
- If he manages to start this should light a fire under their arses to improve more.
- Born winner, gives his all. I can imagine players around him fighting harder for him and with him.

Possible negatives:

- He's a bad influence? Not sure why people think this but I'll put this one here anyway.
- If he's being brought in to strengthen some sort of weird amigo culture then that would be crap.

From those few points, in the positives list at least 1 of those are likely to come true.

edit: I don't think it's a good signing. But it's hardly doomsday stuff.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what to think about it.
I love the trip down the memory lane but will it help the club?

Would rather we played some youngsters and see if can get someone to hold his own long term.

Raki13

Thiago Alcantara up next according to the media , this crackpot wont be in the job long , farcical signings once again.

serghei

I think the economic situation is MUCH better than some here believe.
Laporta put many papers on the previous board, and Tebas feels the need to show who is boss, but I believe Barcelona will really spend a lot of money this summer, if not already in the winter if the right opportunity arrives.

If the situation is much better than some here believe we wouldn't have ended up with Luuk De Jong ffs. The situation is really bad, and only starting to look better as we open up the stadium and such. It will take some time to bring the revenue back up, and I don't think we'll reach pre-covid numbers very soon. We're not an oil state-funded or sugar daddy club.

JamDav1982

At this rate Koeman is going to be only coach in since Pep that had the balls to trust youth and not priortise the old core and short term.

serghei

Thiago could be pretty good on the cheap as well. If we bring in Thiago and get rid of Roberto, I'd say it's a plus. It's all about how much money would be involved in the deal, whether or not Thiago should be looked at or not.

22m from Bayern to Liverpool in late 2020, make it 15-18m and I'd take him. Paid in installments obviously since I doubt we can spend even 15m.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans