David Villa

Indignado

Messi said Villa playing as CF helped him have more space. And Villa came to barça knowing he'd play at LW, and did a very great job doing so. This team's best season was 10-11, although the treble was won on 08-09.

Tbh, we were very unlucky in the Copa final 10/11, otherwise it would have been 6 titles in one year again.

Scottro

Messi said Villa playing as CF helped him have more space. And Villa came to barça knowing he'd play at LW, and did a very great job doing so. This team's best season was 10-11, although the treble was won on 08-09.

"Villa came to barça knowing he'd play at LW, and did a very great job" That is true and he got to play, and play in the most important games and made the difference in some of the biggest games. The problem is not the position he is playing in or communication or anything to do with Villa at all. It is that he is being sat on the bench when he clearly is the best at his position. Going back to the 10-11 season that he "did a very great job" Villa was scoring once every 172 minutes played. He was clearly the best forward outside of Messi by anyones measure. Now, this season he is scoring every 112 minutes played, an improvement of %53 over his best season at Barca and these idiots force one of the hottest forwards in Europe to rot on bench behind Sanchez that could not score if his life depended on it.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Fact still stands that Villa is ineffectual on the wing. He has no pace nor ability to dribble past his marker.
Either play him in the middle or send him packing this summer.

Scottro

Here is a quote from Inesta:

“When things go badly, we should look at ourselves and make changes,” Iniesta said. “For this we have the coaches and we trust in them. I must perform at my best wherever I play, but my natural position is as a playmaking midfielder.”

Inesta is not one to shoot his mouth off or take a swipe at anyone but his carefully chosen words speak loudly regarding the players perspective of the lineups that the staff is choosing. I am reading into this a lot but I think the players especially Inesta are not happy with the starting 11 or even the positions chosen.

With Xavi out they will almost certainly put Inesta back where he belongs at midfield. Despite the obvious move I would not be surprised to see Villa on the bench again. If they bench him yet again they deserve what is coming.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Fact still stands that Villa is ineffectual on the wing. He has no pace nor ability to dribble past his marker.

I'd slightly disagree there. While Villa's position on paper is "left wing" many times he acts as an inside forward or even a central forward. This is because of Messi dropping back into midfield and leaving that CF space open for a teammate to utilize. As a true winger, Villa would not be very good as he doesn't provide width and doesn't have the pace or stamina to play in that role. However as a left forward, he gives us a 2nd outlet in attack other than Messi and keeps the CB's in check as he lingers very close to them ready to make a run. That allows Messi to not be completely neutralized and gives us another goalscorer in the squad.

Meitux

I'd slightly disagree there. While Villa's position on paper is "left wing" many times he acts as an inside forward or even a central forward. This is because of Messi dropping back into midfield and leaving that CF space open for a teammate to utilize. As a true winger, Villa would not be very good as he doesn't provide width and doesn't have the pace or stamina to play in that role. However as a left forward, he gives us a 2nd outlet in attack other than Messi and keeps the CB's in check as he lingers very close to them ready to make a run. That allows Messi to not be completely neutralized and gives us another goalscorer in the squad.
its vital to have scorers in this team.get it or not i Iniesta-Messi-Pedro is not a dangerous attack and it doesnt remind the glory trio with Henry Etoo Messi OR Villa Messi Pedro...

Scottro

Villa has 10 goals this season on minimal playing time. Half of those goals were clearly from the wing position including one where he attacked the end line prior to shooting from a very tight angle. At this level of play nobody could score at that rate without pace and athleticism. Villa is better in the middle, but he is also better than any of the other wings at the wing position by a wide margin. Barca is averaging 70% posession this season so I see little value in playing a faster player with little to no scoring threat. We need a finisher and that is Villa's forte.

Here is a link showing all his goals this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5dKoU1ao9I

Slow and ineffective he is not.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't see how Villa is slow or unable to dribble past his markers then that's your thing. Playing out wide defeats his strengths and is detrimental for our play too. Saying how he is more effective than a midfielder playing wide, Alexis or Pedro, who's been in a slump for some time, proves nothing. He hasn't been more effective than Tello, or they are close statistically, if you're looking to grab onto figures. That would mean Tello is better player than Villa?

Garrus

When i was watching the clasico, I was thinking how villa will be easily lost in the match if he was started, It was obvious in terms of pace and fitness it is a game out of his depth, In terms of playing on the wing of course, But as a CF his 'physical' problems didn't show much, And we can't start him as a CF, It's suicide, Our defense was bad as it is.

ammarfcb

ze special one
PaeT2N.gif

very slow and unable to dribble.
but i'd agree that playing so wide effects his game, when he is closer to the centre he is much more effective and breaks up the RB from the CB which gives that space for through balls we've been missing this season.

Last edited:

caseballs89

PaeT2N.gif

very slow and unable to dribble.
but i'd agree that playing so wide effects his game, when he is closer to the centre he is much more effective and breaks up the RB from the CB which gives that space for through balls we've been missing this season.

In fairness that is from a few years ago. I don't see him doing things like that regularly right now, although I think its a confidence/fitness thing which will eventually subside should he play more.

Scottro

If you don't see how Villa is slow or unable to dribble past his markers then that's your thing. Playing out wide defeats his strengths and is detrimental for our play too. Saying how he is more effective than a midfielder playing wide, Alexis or Pedro who's been in a slump for some time, proves nothing. He hasn't been more effective than Tello, or they are close statistically, if you're looking to grab onto figures. That would mean Tello is better player than Villa?

Villa and Tello are not close statistically at all. Tello has 5 goals on 1013 minutes played and Villa has 12 goals on 1345 minutes played, That works out to roughly giving up a goal every other game played by choosing Tello over Villa. No amount of pace or workrate can overcome that much of a goal differential. We are talking every 112 minutes played for Villa and every 202 minutes played for Tello per goal scored. It takes Tello 80% more time on the field to match Villa's goal numbers.

My point about comparing Villa to the others playing at wing is even more valid if you are acknowledging that Alexis and Pedro are slumping does it not? Isnt it normally the slumping players that sit the bench?

While Inesta is a talented player moving him to wing weakens our midfield and playmaking threat too much and lets face it he is not scoring from wing.

Galning

Why is there nobody yelling that we should've played Villa? Oh wait seems like we didn't create much chances with him on the pitch either.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
As I said, he's not magic wand that will fix the team... However, he deserves a round of applause, he did everything he could and ran like a 20 year old... Massive kudos!

Home of Barca Fans