David Villa

Irish_Cules

Villa was better in his prime. Even when Eto'o was at his best at Barca I thought Villa was the best striker in the world. Villa hasn't played his best football at Barcelona though, that was at Valencia so in terms of who has been better for Barcelona its Eto'o. There where times during Villa's Valencia career it was starting to look like that one of the greatest strikers to ever play the game was never going to get the chance to win trophies, or at least not get a long enough time at a top club to do so. However in the space of 5 years he has won pretty much everything there is to win at the highest level. It all began with Euro 2008 and when he moved to Barca in the summer of 2010 he won the world subsequently went on to club glory with us. He hasn't played his best football at Barcelona, but he has still been excellent and it has been a period of great success for him.

DavidVillano1

Villa was better in his prime. Even when Eto'o was at his best at Barca I thought Villa was the best striker in the world. Villa hasn't played his best football at Barcelona though, that was at Valencia so in terms of who has been better for Barcelona its Eto'o. There where times during Villa's Valencia career it was starting to look like that one of the greatest strikers to ever play the game was never going to get the chance to win trophies, or at least not get a long enough time at a top club to do so. However in the space of 5 years he has won pretty much everything there is to win at the highest level. It all began with Euro 2008 and when he moved to Barca in the summer of 2010 he won the world subsequently went on to club glory with us. He hasn't played his best football at Barcelona, but he has still been excellent and it has been a period of great success for him.
Practically agree with this.

For Barcelona Eto'o, overall Villa.

Massive fan of both players, funnily enough both are a bit underrated around the world. I've seen many comments saying neither come close to the likes of Henry, RVP is better than Villa etc. Villa consistently showed world class form playing at lesser clubs and was still a consistent goalscorer. Often seen polls of the best striker of the last x amount of years and both were hardly featured.

Villa scored 20+ goals for ten consecutive seasons, that would have increased if not for his leg break last season. Can't think of another striker in one of the top leagues doing the same. Villa's all round game is better than Eto'o's for me. Carried Spain during the 2010 World cup from a left forward position and still all you hear about is Iniesta final performance.

Not shown his 'top' form at Barcelona, but then again he was coming to a club focused around Messi and played out of position on the left. Can only wonder how many more goals Villa would have had if he played centrally and never had a bad injury.

45 goals and about 10 assists in 82 starts from a left wide position is still a very good return. Henry's return were practically the same in a period that the team wasn't solely about Messi and he had much experience in a left wide position. Maybe I'm biased but I think Villa is harshly treated on his performances/goal returns for Barcelona. Probably because of his return for Valencia, but you must take into account his role for Barcelona and I would argue he's done a very good job. Remember reading an article last year from Cryuff who spoke about Villa and how important he was to the team, people didn't understand the width he provided which helped the team on the whole and sacrificed his own scoring ambitions. Was a great read and spot on.

Irish_Cules

villa_dos_gols_gespa_champions.v1363175473.jpg

ShandyFFM

Never will doubt zubi or tito again when they said villa will be important to the team later this season ..they were soooo right

Last edited:

Papabeef

Villa delivers indeed!! I just hope the management stops treating him like a 38 year old who can never complete a 90 minutes ffs...

Home of Barca Fans