David Villa

Irish_Cules

Let's be honest, Villa played his best football at Valencia. We never saw the best of David Villa at Barcelona. He was very good for us in his first season although he did have that 12 game drought or something towards the end of the season that was ended with that goal in Wembley, the finest moment of his club football career. He was also pretty good until he got injured but lets not pretend that we are talking about the David Villa of Valencia who was the best striker in the world. He will definitely leave this summer. He needs to be guaranteed first time football next season before the World Cup and he can't get that at Barca anymore. He is in decline now but wherever he goes he will score goals. His time at Barcelona was a success as he came and won trophies while playing at a high level. He was better when he was at Valencia though, no doubt. He should have left there a season or two before he did but they were determined to hold onto him. He's one of my favorite players of all time and I'm so happy that he played for us but his time at Barcelona is over.

Stric

Changing clubs at that age, a year before the tournament, isn't really the best way to fight for a spot. I'm not saying he's not leaving (especially not because of that), I'm just saying that I disagree with the logic to some extent. He's lucky that Spain don't have that many good options for the striker role, yet unlucky if they continue to insist on the false #9 strategy and use him on the wing. They have other good options there.

hellsangel1

Let's be honest, Villa played his best football at Valencia. We never saw the best of David Villa at Barcelona. He was very good for us in his first season although he did have that 12 game drought or something towards the end of the season that was ended with that goal in Wembley, the finest moment of his club football career. He was also pretty good until he got injured but lets not pretend that we are talking about the David Villa of Valencia who was the best striker in the world. He will definitely leave this summer. He needs to be guaranteed first time football next season before the World Cup and he can't get that at Barca anymore. He is in decline now but wherever he goes he will score goals. His time at Barcelona was a success as he came and won trophies while playing at a high level. He was better when he was at Valencia though, no doubt. He should have left there a season or two before he did but they were determined to hold onto him. He's one of my favorite players of all time and I'm so happy that he played for us but his time at Barcelona is over.

Agreed. I still think that he's a great finisher but his dribbling, movement and pace are all down. He can finish a chance though if some one can provide it for him.....

Antimadridista1

Seriously this guy is done.. We need a forward like Cavani, Van Persie, Lewandowski => This kind of forward. Villa isn't anymore as good as he was before his injury , we have to say the truth.

He will probably leave this summer and it will be good for both teams and player.

Irish_Cules

Changing clubs at that age, a year before the tournament, isn't really the best way to fight for a spot. I'm not saying he's not leaving (especially not because of that), I'm just saying that I disagree with the logic to some extent. He's lucky that Spain don't have that many good options for the striker role, yet unlucky if they continue to insist on the false #9 strategy and use him on the wing. They have other good options there.

Playing regular football is the best way to get into the team. Simple as. I'm sure Barca would happily keep him on but with the arrival of Neymar and considering the limited playing time he has had this season, he wont get that regular playing time. Wherever he goes, he'll score goals if he plays regularly. Somewhere like Arsenal would be perfect from him. A club that is a step down but is still at a high level.

Stric

Honestly, I'd like to see him play on the right wing. That's our weakest spot, Pedro and Sanchez have both been useless there lately, and Villa could pull it off. His left foot is almost as deadly as his right and we've had opportunities to see that. His goal against Milan in the home game is exactly what I have in mind when I think about him on the right. I doubt it would happen, but Neymar-Messi-Villa or Villa-Messi-Neymar (if Neymar can play on the right) looks good to me. I don't really want Neymar, but it's apparently a done deal, so I'm including him in my fantasies. :lol:

Armando929

I still think he's good. He didn't even look bad today. Probably should have finished that header, but the midfield did fuck all and didn't provide any of our attackers with a good opportunity to finish.

But looking at whats probably going to happen, its for the best that he moves to a club where he's treated like an important player and not just someone the team turns to because others are playing bad or because there's an injury.

Plus he does need regular playing time to get good form for the World Cup, which is probably gonna be the last hurrah for a lot of the Spanish players in the team.

DavidVillano1

Did you expect him to be better at Barcelona than Valencia when he was moved out of position?

Villa didn't have a great game last night, but I don't think he was bad, was close with the header and was the only one doing anything in the Bayern half. What do you expect when a player has two defenders around him all the time(sometimes three with Martinez) and little support from Cesc and Pedro. Villa was isolated and couldn't do much as he's not Messi(he has been marked out of big games as well) Could see his frustration on the park when he was trying to play quick one-two's and the likes of Cesc were not on the same wave length.

Hopefully he leaves in the summer and shows why he's one of the best strikers in world football.

FiReFTW

He will be 32 next season, he also had a bad injury, can't expect much from him, best to just sell him now and get decent money for him.

abual3bed1

He almost converted the only real chance we had all game, only to hit the bar. Those are the signs of a great striker. Give him the chances and goals will come from him.

of all the strikers we have (except for Leo of course) he's the one to stay.

Scottro

Villa's goals per minute played were as high this season as in any season of his career including Valencia. He just has not gotten the minutes. He has 2,040 minutes this season and 14 goals. When you compare a typical top striker getting 3,700 minutes per season and them being the focus of the offense Villa's numbers are fantastic. In fact it works out to 25 goals this season if he had seen normal playing time and he is not even the focal point of the offense. I would also point his scoring percentage on shots taken was the highest in LaLiga this season. His future will be bright IMO

Villa's goals per minute played were as high this season as in any season of his career including Valencia. He just has not gotten the minutes. He has 2,040 minutes this season and 14 goals. When you compare a typical top striker getting 3,700 minutes per season and them being the focus of the offense Villa's numbers are fantastic. In fact it works out to 25 goals this season if he had seen normal playing time and he is not even the focal point of the offense. I would also point his scoring percentage on shots taken was the highest in LaLiga this season. His future will be bright IMO

Yeah, he's been really good this season considering his age and the injury.

I wouldn't mind replacing him with Suarez or Aguero, but let's not act like he's completely past it.

PaulFCB

Banned
You do realize that number 7 and that position on the field already has reservations?

Of course, we could always sell those rights for 30-40, right?

Scottro

Yeah, he's been really good this season considering his age and the injury.

I wouldn't mind replacing him with Suarez or Aguero, but let's not act like he's completely past it.

Aguero is a close friend of Messi. I really see him coming as a surprise signing this summer. Falco is the guy on my wish list but it does not seem likely we can sign him. I hope Neymar doesnot come. I dont see Neymar getting back to cover the oppositions outside backs and doing the grunt work needed at times as a winger. Hummels or Kompany with Pique is needed more than replacing Villa IMO.

Home of Barca Fans