David Villa

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
For all I care Villa can stay on the bench if Barca is to keep on racking these results.

He is undoubtedly better player than Pedro, or any other wing-forward for that matter. But is he better for our system?
Messi will be Messi. Who will work harder than Pedro? And now that Thiago is back and Cesc is fit and in form, Tito needs to fit them and thus plays Iniesta far left.
Hard days for Villa. And it won't get better once Alexis and Cuenca get back.

J

jtmx12

However... then you look at the rest of the team. Fabregas is arguably our 2nd best performer this season next to Messi. In terms of productivity and creativity at least. Also tied for 2nd most goals with 5, and he has the most assists on the team by a decent margin with 9, with Iniesta trailing with 6. It's a tough argument to claim that he shouldn't start... he's been very valuable.

David Villa: Goals 8 + 2 Assists (+10) playing 679 minutes (coming back from a bad injury, with like 15 shoots on target, getting subbed every time the opposite team is tired, getting completely ignored in some games, and barely getting enough assists or minutes to increase these stats)
Cesc: Goals 7 + 9 Assists (+16) playing 1414 minutes in liga+copa+champions (plus like 60 minutes from the Spanish Supercup)

The only reason why Cesc has "+6" more (goals | assists) in productivity (which isn't twice what Villa has) is because he has MORE than twice minutes played than Villa. You will notice by the time Villa gets those extra 795 minutes Cesc has right now, he will have better stats than Cesc, with like +20 at least.

So in therms of "productivity", Cesc isn't really doing any better than Villa. As I said before, the stats lie, because he also played twice the minutes Villa did [(679*2) = 1358].

Where I agree with you is that Iniesta should start every single time, and everyone knows that. However the reason why Villa was benched today wasn't because of Iniesta, it was Cesc.

The second reason was Pedro, even tho I love the guy, it seems impossible to bench him this season. He also has like 1500 minutes, with 2 goals + 7 assists (+9), worse stats than Villa, and playing twice as Villa.

Last edited:

Vapor

David Villa: Goals 8 + 2 Assists (+10) playing 679 minutes (with like 15 shoots on target, getting completely ignored in some games, and barely getting assists or minutes to increase these stats)
Cesc: Goals 7 + 9 Assists (+16) playing 1414 minutes in liga+copa+champions (plus like 60 minutes from the Spanish Supercup)

The only reason why Cesc has "6" more (goals | assists) in productivity is because he has MORE than twiceminutes played than Villa. We could easily tell looking at those minutes that Villa would easily get those 6 goals if he had those 795 minutes Cesc had. You will notice that when he gets those minutes, he will get better stats than Cesc, I'm pretty sure.

So in therms of "productivity", Cesc isn't really doing any better than Villa.

Where I agree with you is that Iniesta should start every single time, and everyone knows that.
That's true, but I'm not speaking just statistically here. Cesc has been playing on great form and with quality. He is still pretty much the 2nd most creative player on the squad next to Messi right now. My point still stands that given the fact that he is the most prolific assist provider (by a decent margin) on the team right now (on top of being 2nd top scorer), he has high starting priority. If he was playing like shit, then Xavi and Iniesta and Villa would start no problem. But he's playing so well lately that we are much better off when he is playing.

Your stats are somewhat misleading too... for one, I'm speaking of only with Barcelona this season, not including Spain. Barcelona stats are all that's relevant when speaking about Barcelona. So Villa doesn't have 8 goals, he has 5, and Cesc has 6. But besides that... you can't assume that based off of the numbers Villa has put up in his few minutes, he would consistently be putting up those numbers given more minutes. Surely, given he keeps up good form, he could well be putting up good numbers, but you can't say well since his goal per min ratio is so-n-so now, given more minutes he'd score so-n-so goals. Too many factors. Though I do get your point that he has been very efficient and lethal, and I do agree.

My point still stands though. Although Villa has been lethal and very productive in the time given, Fabregas is still very crucial and overall the more productive/important player for us, thus why he's been starting over Villa. So is Iniesta. It's a hard case to argue that either of them need to make room for Villa, they are 2/3 of our best attacking force we have right now. Villa is the other 1/4 of our best attackers, but Cesc and Iniesta play a more varied role than he does, so they have the advantage there.

I agree with you wholeheartedly in that I wish Villa would get a lot more playing time. I'm just saying that it's a really tough situation for him to be in when taking into account how the whole squad is playing without him, like Bojan said. We kind of have an if it ain't broke don't fix it scenario.

Again, I really do think he'll see a lot more time as the season progression, so this is probably much ado about nothing in the big picture anyways. Villa has strong character, I think he'll stick it out. I'm not too worried about it, but we'll see.

Last edited:
J

jtmx12

Villa doesn't have 8 goals?

So Villa doesn't have 5 goals scored in La Liga and 3 goals scored in la Copa Del rey? because if I did actually add the goals Villa scored with Spain, it would be 10, sir.

Last edited:

ammarfcb

ze special one
c-c-c-c-combobreaker.

tumblr_mef6ad9m4D1qe8s6wo1_250.gif

tumblr_mef6ad9m4D1qe8s6wo2_250.gif

:lol:

oz187

if villa as u guys say needs
not to be over played, and if Tito believes in him, then clearly
the way i see it, is u got rest him in the meaningless games
and play him in the important games!!!!

No you play him in the meaningless games, because there is less chance of injury and yet he can continue to work his way to full match fitness. At the same time you play Iniesta and Cesc who are 100% match fit in the important games, the result being 3-0 away to Spartak, 4-0 away to Levante and 5-1 at home to Bilbao. 3 tough games yet Barca play their best football of the season, qualify for the 2nd round of UCL with one game left, and have the best start to a La Liga season ever.

Clockwise

Buccaneer
Happy birthday Big dave! here's hoping to u retiring at barca and scoring tons of goals for us *HUG* :hbd:

tumblr_m3ja3yafbz1rquq93o4_400.gif

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans