Defender for next season?

PacoBJuarez

Speaking of Masch, am I the only one who thinks he was probably the best defender on the field for the last half of the season? I can't even begin to remember all of the times I was watching a match and thought, "Wow. There's another great tackle by Mascherano. He's playing out of his mind." I don't see why he isn't being given more serious consideration for increased playing time. Sergio doesn't rest that often, so having Masch fresh to spell him doesn't seem like much of a concern to me. Am I missing something?

King Leo

Banned
Speaking of Masch, am I the only one who thinks he was probably the best defender on the field for the last half of the season? I can't even begin to remember all of the times I was watching a match and thought, "Wow. There's another great tackle by Mascherano. He's playing out of his mind." I don't see why he isn't being given more serious consideration for increased playing time. Sergio doesn't rest that often, so having Masch fresh to spell him doesn't seem like much of a concern to me. Am I missing something?

No you were not the only one to say "here's another great tackle". I had faith in him since his first game when he got a card just after stepping in. Didn't think Pep was gonna play him as defender but look how that turned out. We still need a hardcore defender. We suffered last season mainly because of the injuries and if it wasn't for the magic of Leo who knows how things could have ended up (the more reason why Messi is the best player in the world) but Mascherano had a number of fatal errors and those very few errors killed us.

Last edited:

Trickykid

Probably not the only one, no.
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/9344-Player-of-the-season-(Excluding-Messi)

X

xaviniesta

attachment.php

You decide..

:D

that looks pretty damn nice to be honest.

PacoBJuarez

Awesome, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't seen that. I guess my main question would be... why in the world don't I hear more about him when people are talking about how we need to improve our back line? I mean, we have Dani at RB. That's set in stone, obviously. Our LB spot is up in the air, although it's looking more and more like Jordi Alba is going to be signed and that position will be solid, I'm assuming Adriano spelling him there and Montoya spelling Alves. But in all this talk about how we desperately need another central defender because Pique is playing poorly (true) and Puyol is getting old and can't play every match (also true), I hardly hear anyone mention that oh yeah, we already have an amazing central defender who I believe was better than either of those two last season. The rotation of those three, with the youngsters coming up... eventually we'll need a replacement for Puyol, and someone's got to get Pique's head on straight, but do you just blow up the back line? Masch has more than earned his share of playing time.

M

mitkoa7x

With Alba's transfer costing 14 mil we're left with only 26 for Hummels, dont think Borusia would part with him for such a puny sum

Ender

With Alba's transfer costing 14 mil we're left with only 26 for Hummels, dont think Borusia would part with him for such a puny sum
We're only paying 7m this year (and another 7m next year). So technically we have 33m for Hummels. Even if the club perceives the 14m as a sunk cost, there's always the option of selling a player for 4m+ (Afellay, Adriano, etc.).

Home of Barca Fans