Defender for next season?

SeloBarca

A leader, someone that can give Pique a smack when needed..unfortunally theres only 1 defender that can do that..and he already plays in Barcelona

khaled_a_d

We already have Mascherano, Pique, Alba, Alves, Abidal (if he could make it), Montoya, Adriano and Muniesa at the back.
We are in the market for a CB. The ideal signing for me would be Thiago Silva because he likes and wants to come to Barça, Milan are a stumbling block indeed.

Our chances of succumbing to counter attacks are now lesser as we have signed Alba but defending set pieces though have become a head ache. The solution to this CB problem is not straight forward, but signing somebody who is not world class or who is slow (Hummels) or someone less than 1.80m is a no-no. These are the guidelines to find a CB who should fit our bill. So, if we don't find a better CB than Mascherano, I dont think we should buy anybody at all. If we buy, we buy quality and not someone because they are big and fast (that is the typical English mentality). I say we play the back four of Alves-Pique-Masch-Alba. Rotating Adriano, Montoya and Puyol who can play the odd games. Who knows Fontas may improve and show us something we haven't seen before.

That is a disaster waiting to happen , we can't play a full season in 3 different competitions with just 3 players who can b reliable to play CB
people forget that there is something called injuries, we have been very lucky with th health of our team with Pep in the first 3 years, but with our players playing such a big amount of games in all competitions and the fact that most if not all of them plays with their national teams in the summer in the last few years ,add to that the fact that the tiki-taka style of play make other teams physical ,It would be wise to expect things getting worse with injuries from the last season not the opposite
The lack of depth in the defense is scary ,and I can't understand why anyone thinks that not signing a CB is a possibility
do you guys remember that Real Madrid have just won the Liga and right now ,we are the team who needs reinforcements to catch them? do you think that Alba will be enough to make us back ?

pawanme10

That is a disaster waiting to happen , we can't play a full season in 3 different competitions with just 3 players who can b reliable to play CB
people forget that there is something called injuries, we have been very lucky with th health of our team with Pep in the first 3 years, but with our players playing such a big amount of games in all competitions and the fact that most if not all of them plays with their national teams in the summer in the last few years ,add to that the fact that the tiki-taka style of play make other teams physical ,It would be wise to expect things getting worse with injuries from the last season not the opposite
The lack of depth in the defense is scary ,and I can't understand why anyone thinks that not signing a CB is a possibility
do you guys remember that Real Madrid have just won the Liga and right now ,we are the team who needs reinforcements to catch them? do you think that Alba will be enough to make us back ?

I said if we don't find a better CB than Masch, we should play that back four.
I do not think it will be okay just to sign someone for the sake of filling up the spot available.

Superfly

Banned

Of course ;).

Alba :worthy:

IMO we need to find a long term replacement for Puyol, but if we can't find someone this season then we should be patient. The main issue is that Pique hasn't been performing and Puyol has become more injury prone and is loosing his form as age catches up with him. Ideally we find a quality CB to partner Pique, who would have rediscovered his form by then while using Puyol more as the backup or when one of the XI CB is sidelined//not performing. But until we find that player there's no point in spending our money on a temporary fix when we already have players who can play the CB position more or less adequately when needed.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
We're not getting Thiago Silva, who would be my first choice as well. It's just not going to happen.

If Keita does indeed go, I really hope Barca makes a push for Javi Martinez. He was a stud for Bielsa in that CB role and could supplement Busquets as well. I think he's a perfect fit for our system.

Our summer moves should be:
Jordi Alba
Javi Martinez
veteran striker to bring off the bench, someone like Nilmar

Last edited:

psychotsek

We're not getting Thiago Silva, who would be my first choice as well. It's just not going to happen.

If Keita does indeed go, I really hope Barca makes a push for Javi Martinez. He was a stud for Bielsa in that CB role and could supplement Busquets as well. I think he's a perfect fit for our system.

Our summer moves should be:
Jordi Alba
Javi Martinez
veteran striker to bring off the bench, someone like Nilmar

We already have one :villa:

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
We already have one :villa:

David Villa is not coming off the bench, he's in our Starting XI. But we need some insurance just in case he doesn't come back the same player he was from the serious injury he had.

I would be perfectly happy if we just signed Javi Martinez to go w/ Jordi Alba for the summer and let the team be, too.

I would be ecstatic if we were to sign Javi Martinez and Adrian from Atletico Madrid, though.

psychotsek

David Villa is not coming off the bench, he's in our Starting XI. But we need some insurance just in case he doesn't come back the same player he was from the serious injury he had.

I would be perfectly happy if we just signed Javi Martinez to go w/ Jordi Alba for the summer and let the team be, too.

I would be ecstatic if we were to sign Javi Martinez and Adrian from Atletico Madrid, though.

Well time will only tell but i think Villa will play less minutes than his first season given the options Tito now has (Alexis,Tello,Quenca,Cesc,Ibi).I like Adrian but if we are to sign him Ibi and someone else has to go.
Martinez is a great player but won't come cheap and spending over 30m for a defender just to rotate him is bad business imo..

Meitux

Well time will only tell but i think Villa will play less minutes than his first season given the options Tito now has (Alexis,Tello,Quenca,Cesc,Ibi).I like Adrian but if we are to sign him Ibi and someone else has to go.
Martinez is a great player but won't come cheap and spending over 30m for a defender just to rotate him is bad business imo..
i dont think tello and cuenca could get ahaid of villa and if he is in good form they dont have many chances

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA

Tello is a good player but he doesn't fit our system. I wouldn't be mad if Tello and Afellay were sold to make room for Adrian.

As for Martinez, he's still relatively pretty young and he could potentially be one of our CBs for the next decade or so.

khaled_a_d

I said if we don't find a better CB than Masch, we should play that back four.
I do not think it will be okay just to sign someone for the sake of filling up the spot available.
It is still a better solution than letting this spot empty
and NO ,We need someone better that Fontas ,our 4th CB ,a guy we can trust to play w/o giving us a heart attack ,he doesn't need to be better than Masch b/c Masch isn't going anywhere
I actually respect th ltest reports that if we felt that Hummels and Silva is out of our price range we will go for either Lovren or Tasci .at least it isn't all or known for Rossel

pawanme10

It is still a better solution than letting this spot empty
and NO ,We need someone better that Fontas ,our 4th CB ,a guy we can trust to play w/o giving us a heart attack ,he doesn't need to be better than Masch b/c Masch isn't going anywhere
I actually respect th ltest reports that if we felt that Hummels and Silva is out of our price range we will go for either Lovren or Tasci .at least it isn't all or known for Rossel

I have seen them both play. They play in a similar way as Fontas does. >_<
Tasci is a magnet for injuries, not pacy.. Though he is tall (1.86m) and will help us with our set pieces.
Lovren is currently injured. He isn't pacy either, but tall (1.88m) and will help us with our set pieces.
Please dont tell me we are going to spend 10m on either of these guys.
If we do not get Silva in this window, then we can negotiate for Martinez in the winter.. (he wont be cup tied for the UCL)
Just buying someone because he is big and strong will not do.

I have seen them both play. They play in a similar way as Fontas does. >_<
Tasci is a magnet for injuries, not pacy.. Though he is tall (1.86m) and will help us with our set pieces.
Lovren is currently injured. He isn't pacy either, but tall (1.88m) and will help us with our set pieces.
Please dont tell me we are going to spend 10m on either of these guys.
If we do not get Silva in this window, then we can negotiate for Martinez in the winter.. (he wont be cup tied for the UCL)
Just buying someone because he is big and strong will not do.
Second that. We need to consider the fact that Puyol will probably not be in part XI for the 2013-14 season. Even now, I don't think that he can sustain playing the whole season without any problem. So if we go for a temporary fix this season, we will still be in the same situation the season after it. So it's just a waste a money, especially since we won't get anyone better that what we already have unless we pay a lot.

khaled_a_d

Second that. We need to consider the fact that Puyol will probably not be in part XI for the 2013-14 season. Even now, I don't think that he can sustain playing the whole season without any problem. So if we go for a temporary fix this season, we will still be in the same situation the season after it. So it's just a waste a money, especially since we won't get anyone better that what we already have unless we pay a lot.
Next season the whole budget is probably going for Neymar,and there is no grantee there will be better options in the market .specially when you guys consider a guy like Hummels as a bad option .we might wait forever to get the defender with the level you want (honestly I think in the U-26 generation aren't good at the back line in comparison to the other generation )

Home of Barca Fans