Defender for next season?

i_bleed_blaugrana

A number of you seem to keep forgetting that Hummels signed a contract extension until 2017 this summer so the likelihood of him leaving after signing a contract like that is pretty much 0%. Which leaves Javi Martinez, who apparently, will go for about 40 mil. I personally think that number is a bit much, I would put him in the 28-30 range. He would be nice bc Masch and him could rotate in for Puyol, making it an easier transition for him personally since he won't be expected to perform to our level of play every single game of the season (unlike Masch when he came in). If he starts 15-20 matches this season and comes off the bench when we need to make a defensive change, he should have an easier year transitioning from DM to CB with not a lot of pressure on him from the git-go but plenty of chances to get his feet wet. They value him at 40 mil, I think 28 + Keita would do the trick.

He checks all the boxes for what we need in a CB: Tall, young, reads the game intelligently, good passer on the ball, good technique and a great tackler. Plus i think he would be coming into a perfect time to join. Although Puyol is getting old and he is slowly waning, he still has a good year or two left and can still perform for the big games. Whatever games he doesn't play, Masch will still get the nod over Martinez in high pressure, important games but Martinez could take the rest, which should still be plenty. As long as we ease him into this role over the course of the year and simultaneously boost his confidence and his experience as a CB, he could be an absolute force in the near future.

Last edited:

Trickykid

Awesome, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't seen that. I guess my main question would be... why in the world don't I hear more about him when people are talking about how we need to improve our back line? I mean, we have Dani at RB. That's set in stone, obviously. Our LB spot is up in the air, although it's looking more and more like Jordi Alba is going to be signed and that position will be solid, I'm assuming Adriano spelling him there and Montoya spelling Alves. But in all this talk about how we desperately need another central defender because Pique is playing poorly (true) and Puyol is getting old and can't play every match (also true), I hardly hear anyone mention that oh yeah, we already have an amazing central defender who I believe was better than either of those two last season. The rotation of those three, with the youngsters coming up... eventually we'll need a replacement for Puyol, and someone's got to get Pique's head on straight, but do you just blow up the back line? Masch has more than earned his share of playing time.

I agree with you. I don't think a cb is vital in any way at the moment. Masch, Piqué and Puyol as the three starter options look more than good too me, and I do believe Bartra has what it takes. Unlike you though, I'm not really worried about Piqué. I think, during the end of the season, that he looked to be back at his best, and he's had a really solid Euros too, so he should be a definite starter alongside either Masc or Puyol, when he regains complete fitness.

Even though Hummels does indeed look tasty, I just don't see it happen. If Dortmund decides to sell, we'll be in for a serious bidding war with probably just about every single of the heavy hitters out there. Coupled with our, in comparison, pretty limited budget and the fact that we're not exactly in dire need of a cb at the moment, I can't see it happen this summer. To me it seems way more likely that we're at the moment, and probably for the next few momths, laying the groundwork for a 13/14 transfer instead (if we're in the market for him at all - not much has suggested that we are, to be honest). That way Dortmund can spend plenty time looking for a replacement, Puyol will be one year closer to retirement (not that I wan't that to happen, ever, but I guess it's inevitable) and Hummels himself will be groomed with one more year of CL action under his belt.

I'm actually kinda interested in knowing just what you guys, who're hoping for a big name cb transfer this summer, expect to happen when we have Piqué, Masch, Puyol and X vying for a starting spot? Surely the likes of Hummels and Martinez won't be contend with being relegated to 3rd or even 4th option? Or is it because you don't completely have faith in either Masch, Piqué or Puyol for next season?

F

Flavia

The extension could be just to increase his fee. But we don't even know if Zubi and Tito are really considering Hummels.

And md is now saying Barça is looking for someone good and not that expensive. They are now saying names like Dejan Lovren or Serdar Tasci.

AzaR

Can't see Puyol staying fit throughout the season, lack of cbs has caused us problems over the last two seasons. In last 2 seasons we have had Abidal to cover the cb position which we will no longer have , would much prefer we buy a cb so we have that position sorted.

Would love to see a big tall and strong cb to partner Pique at the back.

M

Messi+Eto

Wow!!! Hummels was err. . . . How do I put this nicely ? . . . Absolute SHOIT tonight!

Just goes to prove what I said about finding someone who is relatively "unknown" and much more cheaper than Hummels. . .

Andrea Barzagli :pep: maybe. . .

Last edited:

PacoBJuarez

Can't see Puyol staying fit throughout the season, lack of cbs has caused us problems over the last two seasons. In last 2 seasons we have had Abidal to cover the cb position which we will no longer have , would much prefer we buy a cb so we have that position sorted.

That is reasoning I can agree with, depth has been a concern. But if it's depth they need to address, getting a big signing wouldn't seem to make sense unless you can find time on the pitch for all four, which seems impossible. A smaller signing would seem more appropriate.

khaled_a_d

A number of you seem to keep forgetting that Hummels signed a contract extension until 2017 this summer so the likelihood of him leaving after signing a contract like that is pretty much 0%. Which leaves Javi Martinez, who apparently, will go for about 40 mil. I personally think that number is a bit much, I would put him in the 28-30 range. He would be nice bc Masch and him could rotate in for Puyol, making it an easier transition for him personally since he won't be expected to perform to our level of play every single game of the season (unlike Masch when he came in). If he starts 15-20 matches this season and comes off the bench when we need to make a defensive change, he should have an easier year transitioning from DM to CB with not a lot of pressure on him from the git-go but plenty of chances to get his feet wet. They value him at 40 mil, I think 28 + Keita would do the trick.

He checks all the boxes for what we need in a CB: Tall, young, reads the game intelligently, good passer on the ball, good technique and a great tackler. Plus i think he would be coming into a perfect time to join. Although Puyol is getting old and he is slowly waning, he still has a good year or two left and can still perform for the big games. Whatever games he doesn't play, Masch will still get the nod over Martinez in high pressure, important games but Martinez could take the rest, which should still be plenty. As long as we ease him into this role over the course of the year and simultaneously boost his confidence and his experience as a CB, he could be an absolute force in the near future.

He is extremely overrated at the CB position,he is below average CB at best ,I don't know why anyone should even consider him as an option for CB

i_bleed_blaugrana

Would love to see a big tall and strong cb to partner Pique at the back.

See, I have heard rumors that Abidal may be able to come back to football after all. If he did, we wouldn't even need to buy another CB bc we could convert him into a CB since we have Jordi Alba as our LB now. That way, we keep the money and try to develop our young guys like Barta and Fontas.

PacoBJuarez

See, I have heard rumors that Abidal may be able to come back to football after all. If he did, we wouldn't even need to buy another CB bc we could convert him into a CB since we have Jordi Alba as our LB now. That way, we keep the money and try to develop our young guys like Barta and Fontas.

I thought it was pretty much done that Abidal was going to China?

pawanme10

We already have Mascherano, Pique, Alba, Alves, Abidal (if he could make it), Montoya, Adriano and Muniesa at the back.
We are in the market for a CB. The ideal signing for me would be Thiago Silva because he likes and wants to come to Barça, Milan are a stumbling block indeed.

Our chances of succumbing to counter attacks are now lesser as we have signed Alba but defending set pieces though have become a head ache. The solution to this CB problem is not straight forward, but signing somebody who is not world class or who is slow (Hummels) or someone less than 1.80m is a no-no. These are the guidelines to find a CB who should fit our bill. So, if we don't find a better CB than Mascherano, I dont think we should buy anybody at all. If we buy, we buy quality and not someone because they are big and fast (that is the typical English mentality). I say we play the back four of Alves-Pique-Masch-Alba. Rotating Adriano, Montoya and Puyol who can play the odd games. Who knows Fontas may improve and show us something we haven't seen before.

Home of Barca Fans