Defender for next season?

Next season the whole budget is probably going for Neymar,and there is no grantee there will be better options in the market .specially when you guys consider a guy like Hummels as a bad option .we might wait forever to get the defender with the level you want (honestly I think in the U-26 generation aren't good at the back line in comparison to the other generation )
I don't see your point here. If we don't spend the money this season, we only get to save for the next. So even if we went for Neymar (which would be a mistake IMO), we still would have enough to buy our CB. As for Hummels, he's simply too similar to Pique. Now a Xavi-Xavi or Iniesta-Iniesta midfield would still be a great one, but a Xavi-Iniesta is a better option than both; so finding CB that can complement Pique is better than getting someone similar to him. That said, if we can't find someone complimentary then we should just go with what is available and this is Hummels. But I think it's too early to make that judgement call, and it doesn't seem that Hummels will be leaving.

Which would be a good point if we only played ONE CB, but as we play two, then a good tackler/header/passer/reader of the game WILL always compliment someone the same! It wont matter if Pique and Hummels are the same player
You haven't really said anything different from what I said. My point was that Pique & Hummels are too similar, so playing them would be like having a midfield with 2 Xavis or 2 Iniestas; which is great. But what's even better, by analogy, would be a Xavi-Iniesta partnership. So the best option for us would be to find a quality CB who can complement Pique. If we can't find someone with this quality, then our second best option would be to get a quality CB like Hummels.

khaled_a_d

I don't see your point here. If we don't spend the money this season, we only get to save for the next. So even if we went for Neymar (which would be a mistake IMO), we still would have enough to buy our CB. As for Hummels, he's simply too similar to Pique. Now a Xavi-Xavi or Iniesta-Iniesta midfield would still be a great one, but a Xavi-Iniesta is a better option than both; so finding CB that can complement Pique is better than getting someone similar to him. That said, if we can't find someone complimentary then we should just go with what is available and this is Hummels. But I think it's too early to make that judgement call, and it doesn't seem that Hummels will be leaving.
My point is,if there isn't a good CB this season,what makes you their will be a better one next year?

SamperFCB

I don't think he was a real target, but Vertonghen (Ajax) won't be our new CB.

FC Barcelona won't sign Jan Vertonghen (Ajax) as new centreback. He signed at Tottenham Hotspur for €12M.

My point is,if there isn't a good CB this season,what makes you their will be a better one next year?
Perhaps we will find no one better next year. But every new season is different, new talents are discovered, others flop, players that were thought to be unavailable became available, etc… so if the management can't find someone from the pool of players currently on the market, they loose nothing if next season these players are no longer available. The point being that unless we know we've found a suitable replacement for Puyol to partner Pique then we need to be patient.

AvocadoCake

The more i think about it the more i realise: Puyol, Pique, Masch - 3 great defenders. Any new defender would not be first choice.
This + the fact that the rumors seem to have died down somewhat makes me think we are scouting Dede (previously linked with him, not a huge name, not expecting huge salary/fee/role) or someone of the sort. I'd say Lovren but he's not playing atm, so nothing to scout... Names like Javi Martinez and Hummels would be amazing, but look at the fee per importance in the team?

PacoBJuarez

The more i think about it the more i realise: Puyol, Pique, Masch - 3 great defenders. Any new defender would not be first choice.
This + the fact that the rumors seem to have died down somewhat makes me think we are scouting Dede (previously linked with him, not a huge name, not expecting huge salary/fee/role) or someone of the sort. I'd say Lovren but he's not playing atm, so nothing to scout... Names like Javi Martinez and Hummels would be amazing, but look at the fee per importance in the team?

That's what I was trying to say before. Basically, if you make another big signing at CB, you're counting on injuries. I know Puyol won't be playing as often as he used to, but that's what Masch is there for. I've got to think that any signing ends up as the 4th option at the moment... which means 30-40 million is far too high a price to pay for that spot on the team. There's some argument to be made about being "the successor to Puyol" philosophically, but I'm not sure one exists.

Darko

there are many actual defenders available for a much lower price than 40M,but id rather pay 40M for Martinez than us not buying a CB-that would be a disaster!

i_bleed_blaugrana

Javi. Martinez.

Him and Alba are all we need, with them and an in-form and well rested David Villa along with the momentum we will have after half of our starting XI has won the Euro (interesting fact: everytime Spain has won a major international tournament, Barca have gone on to win the Champions League the following season), I see us taking back Spain and Europe in emphatic fashion. With Javi Martinez, we get a player who can play as both a DM and a CB, he is tall yet he is not a mere copy of Pique (like Hummels, and like others have said, we need a player who complements Pique yet isn't too similar). With him and Alba, our defense would be a lot deeper and we could save Puyol for the big games while Masche and Martinez take the leftovers (which will be quite a few).

I would be happy personally if those were our only buys this summer bc we don't need to change a lot. We are still head and shoulders above every other team in Europe, the only way teams are able to get by us is if they park the bus and hope they get a scrappy, lucky goal.

The only other players I would like to see us buy are young kids. I would buy back Romeu from Chelsea since we lost Keita, he has a bright future and if we give him some playing time, he could be another player for our future midfield, like Thiago. The other young kid I wouldn't mind seeing is Nelson Oliveria. I was pleasantly surprised with the skills he showed in the Euro whenever he got a little playing time, and I think he has a lot of potential. I would rather us get him than Adrian, since he will be cheaper and not be expecting to play a lot.

F

Flavia

Javi. Martinez.

Him and Alba are all we need, with them and an in-form and well rested David Villa along with the momentum we will have after half of our starting XI has won the Euro (interesting fact: everytime Spain has won a major international tournament, Barca have gone on to win the Champions League the following season), I see us taking back Spain and Europe in emphatic fashion. With Javi Martinez, we get a player who can play as both a DM and a CB, he is tall yet he is not a mere copy of Pique (like Hummels, and like others have said, we need a player who complements Pique yet isn't too similar). With him and Alba, our defense would be a lot deeper and we could save Puyol for the big games while Masche and Martinez take the leftovers (which will be quite a few).
Martinez could be great and all, but not for 40mi euros.

khaled_a_d

If we sign a big name CB he will be the 3rd choice over Masch ,Masch is too short specially with Alves&Alba height
With Kieta leaving and reports says that our top priority is still CB ,I think that Masch will be option 2 in DM and 4th in CB
but to think we are ready to enter the season with just 4 players for 3 positions(2CB and DM) ? no way

Home of Barca Fans