Defender for next season?

hellsangel1

So maybe the all the deluded fanboys here get to see what i've been saying for quite some time here that if we didn't add a good central defender we would be in big trouble this season

Jadentheman

Thiago Silva was an opportunity. Should have never given up that fight because he eventually left Milan anyway. We had a chance for Hummels too but I don't think Barca was urgent on that.

hellsangel1

I don't have great faith in the defensive qualities of our backline particularly the CB's especially when it comes to the really tough games against quality attacking opposition.

Couple that with our reliance on Messi to score goals particularly in the important matches and we're basically at the same position as we were last year.

0n0mat0p0eia

I hate to say it, but i told you so. Mascherano is no defender; we NEEDED to buy a CB! And VV makes too many high profile errors!
If VV hadnt been a dick in the first leg, and IF Mascherano had been of a decent height where he could have stepped up and headed the punt forward back where it came from, we would have silverware already!
Both RM goals were route 1 football, a big punt up the middle; Mascherano made the first mistake and Pique the second.
Now, i ve never played CB to any high standard, but even i mighta made a better job of cutting out the second goal.
We need to look at the goalkeeper situation, we need to get Pique's head outa his celeb-loving ass, and we need a PROPER CB, not a converted DM midget!!

Meitux

I hate to say it, but i told you so. Mascherano is no defender; we NEEDED to buy a CB! And VV makes too many high profile errors!
If VV hadnt been a dick in the first leg, and IF Mascherano had been of a decent height where he could have stepped up and headed the punt forward back where it came from, we would have silverware already!
Both RM goals were route 1 football, a big punt up the middle; Mascherano made the first mistake and Pique the second.
Now, i ve never played CB to any high standard, but even i mighta made a better job of cutting out the second goal.
We need to look at the goalkeeper situation, we need to get Pique's head outa his celeb-loving ass, and we need a PROPER CB, not a converted DM midget!!
i agree we need someone more than 1.90 and its hummels who comes in my mind at the moment or agger,fabio cannavaro was short too but he was very powerfull and good in the air we cant compare masche to world class defenders

Arachnid

Yeah, well... Tito liked the idea of two new midfielders (and don't delude yourselves, Alba is in the midfield area 99% of the game and Song is no defender at all) better than signing actually defensive players. That's Barcelona for you.

And now there really is no money left to buy anybody. Get used to the Mascherano - Piqué pairing because with Puyi out and his age showing that¡s all we have.

F

Flavia

Yeah, well... Tito liked the idea of two new midfielders (and don't delude yourselves, Alba is in the midfield area 99% of the game and Song is no defender at all) better than signing actually defensive players. That's Barcelona for you.

And now there really is no money left to buy anybody. Get used to the Mascherano - Piqué pairing because with Puyi out and his age showing that¡s all we have.
There's Bartra too. I hope he does well and becomes a world class player.

Arachnid

There's Bartra too. I hope he does well and becomes a world class player.

He can. Won't be now, at his age and in his first season in the First Division. Not even young Puyol was more than a promising lad back when he was 20.

0n0mat0p0eia

Tito liked the idea of 2 midfielders...there's logic for you. It was obvious last year that we needed CBs. The problem we had was teams parking the bus, and getting a breakaway goal or a headed goal from a corner; and if Messi is not scoring we struggle. Our away form was abysmal.
If you are looking at Barca team, we are fantastic from the midfield up - Xavi, Ini, messi, pedro, villa etc. It is from the back that we struggle. We NEEDED 2 CBs (one of which could play LB), we didnt need Alex Song!!
What we'll have to get used to is not winning any trophies!! Against the better teams Mascherano aint a CB, and Pique has distractions elsewhere...case closed.

3 goals we lost over the 2 legs due to errors. VV, Masch, and Pique. You cannot make mistakes against the better teams and get away with them!!

0n0mat0p0eia

I dont know if it's that Brazil circa 1970 mentality - you score 3 goals we'll score 4. What i do know is that if you look to build anything, you need a solid stable foundation. Our foundation GK/ CBs is not what it should be for a world class team!
We put pressure on our front players to always perform/be scoring, because our defence will always give away silly goals.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Oh how we need a WC CB and defensive LB or RB. I have nothing against the Song signing, I think he will be great for us - but he's no defender. I also like Alba, but when we bought him we should have at least sold Adriano and bought a proper CB that could cover LB. For the RB spot I'm more confident, Montoya will do a great job IMO.

SeloBarca

I dont get why we got Song this season either, we should have spent our time looking for a good CB instead. Hummels would have been great, we need a tall player like him.

Another problem is that without Puyol we have noone that controls the defence and tells the players where to go.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans