Defender for next season?

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Not really. If you want a big guy who can bully opposition you can get Song to do that. We require some ability with the ball.

I know that's the knock on Botía but he actually defends, there's nothing pretty about it but there's nothing pretty about Mascherano giving up goals left and right either.

He had good form in the Olympics too.

Cheap option and he'll fit right back in with the system. There's no learning curve.

There is no money to spend on Agger anyways w/o selling someone, so I'm thinking realistically.

Arachnid

I know that's the knock on Botía but he actually defends, there's nothing pretty about it but there's nothing pretty about Mascherano giving up goals left and right either.

He had good form in the Olympics too.

Cheap option and he'll fit right back in with the system. There's no learning curve.

There is no money to spend on Agger anyways w/o selling someone, so I'm thinking realistically.

But he gets admonished quite a lot. In a more defensive side he gets people around him to pick some of the slack... in the isolated spot of a Barça defender he would be red carded every single match,

Arachnid

Everyone who's seen him play regularly has said that Botía was poor last season

He was. He looked good against Madrid because the ref was allowing rough play. Most other refs won't let him get away with that stuff. Clearly not a tiki taka defender.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Everyone who's seen him play regularly has said that Botía was poor last season

Hard to play well on a team that was as terrible as Sporting Gijon.

I really am judging him based off his form with Sevilla and how he played for La Rojita over the summer.

Arachnid

Hard to play well on a team that was as terrible as Sporting Gijon.

I really am judging him based off his form with Sevilla and how he played for La Rojita over the summer.

You mean the disaster that was Spain in the Olympics? Couldn't make it out of group stages.

Barca8

Hey guys I just joined the forum. Don't know if my original post went though but anyway...

Why didn't we buy Jan Vertonghen from Ajax? Ajax/Barca have the same football philosophy. Vertonghen is very versatile and can play any position Alex Song can except he is an ACTUAL centerback. He can pass, shoot, dribble, and would have been a lot cheaper than Song. Any opinions?
Thanks

Arachnid

Hey guys I just joined the forum. Don't know if my original post went though but anyway...

Why didn't we buy Jan Vertonghen from Ajax? Ajax/Barca have the same football philosophy. Vertonghen is very versatile and can play any position Alex Song can except he is an ACTUAL centerback. He can pass, shoot, dribble, and would have been a lot cheaper than Song. Any opinions?
Thanks

Everybody in here is as puzzled as you are.

BigBarcaBoy

Thanks
100% right - the chickens have come home to roost.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
I would have liked to see Vertonghen come to Barca. But since that train has passed, let's talk about others.

Hummels is still someone I would love to see here, but 40M is just too much. How about Papadopoulos from Schalke? Young and in my opinion very talented. Pro can be that he is a lot cheaper than Hummels or any other high profile defender(Thiago Silva, anyone?)...

Home of Barca Fans