Defender for next season?

M

Messi+Eto

He's got more body weight than Adriano. My 14 year old sister has got more body weight than Adriano. My cat has got more body weight than Adriano.

Having it is one thing, using it is another. . . . Adriano is a rugged tackler, Muniesa is a rugged tackler, Batra? . . . . . Is too damn soft. He can be a lot more rugged than he is.

khaled_a_d

Why don't we just trust our youth team defenders

Munisia injured,Fontas is a player we were trying to get rid of ,Hopefully you aren't talking about Barca B defenders who aren't good enough to play in second division
That left us with Bartra , I won't argue about how good he is because I've only watched him once,that said w had a tough schedule in past month ,playing against Valencia/Sevilla/RM and 2 CL games,It isn't good for a young CB to start his career with such tough games ,1 mistake that cause a game could kill his confidence ,Bartra will get the time with more games to be played but not as difficult

Nicolas Nkolou > > > DEDE
I didn't watch any of them ,but Nkolou played in Euro League ,not sure what is the rule there ,can he play in CL?
Also If Cameroon qualified to ACN ,that means we will lose him till February ,and It isn't like Marseille well let him go easily

M

mikecraig

The sad thing about watching the clasico these days is that you know our lack of dominance is not so much that Madrid has improved but Barca's self inflicted weakening. Either by constantly selling off or refusing to play anybody who has the audersity to score a lot of goals or refusing to replace ageing or sold defenders while buying midfielders for non-existent spots. Does anybody think(after some 200 mil) spent) this team can hold a touch to our 0910 team

P

PhilS

I don't know why there is all this talk about needing another CB. Barca has tons of CB depth, it just looks a little funny because it is Barca style. A lot of the central defender depth is still being kept in reserve.

Pique will be back for the next game. Puyol will be back in December.

Masch
Pique
Puyol
Adriano
Song
Alba
Bartra
Fontas

8 should be enough.

F

Flavia

I don't know why there is all this talk about needing another CB. Barca has tons of CB depth, it just looks a little funny because it is Barca style. A lot of the central defender depth is still being kept in reserve.

Masch
Pique
Puyol
Adriano
Song
Alba
Bartra
Fontas

8 should be enough.
Take fontas out of that list, he's not going to get playing time with Tito. Bartra will probably just play on cdr. Also, Alba a cb? Are you nuts? Don't forget Adriano played there in an emergency, as Tito knew Song wouldn't do well, but he's not a cb either. Neither is Song.

There's only 2 wc cbs at Barça: Pique and Puyol. Masch is not wc yet. It's not enough. There's no depth, and it showed last game, as it has been showing in all games. I think there's only 2 clean sheets so far.

Chainsaw

Killahead
The last thing Barca has in this squad is depth in CB! Not getting another CB in this summer is nothing but a show of arrogance from the club who think they can cope with playing with no defender at all. Thinking of how the club went into the season with 2 actual CBs in Pique and Puyol (two who have been dealing with many injuries as well last season) was just ridiculous! Take out Barta and Fontas from the list. It's about the CBs who the coaching staff actually trust to use in important matches, which exclude Barta and Fontas.

Barca needs a world class CB. Period

snasa

Masch
Pique
Puyol
Adriano
Song
Alba
Bartra
Fontas

8 should be enough.

Are you kidding me? Alba, Adriano aren't CB, Barta has potential but it seem Tito doesnt trust him and throwing him in big games is crap, Puyol and Pique will be back, but for how long?
There are just Masch and Fontas. But Fontas sucks bad.
So we need at least one fucking CB.

X

xaviniesta

there're just 3 WC CB in that list and one of them is (unfortunately) constantly injured. though i like bartra too personally, lets see if tito gives him a chance.

zanela

I feel Pep would 've brought along Bartra nicely, seeing it was he who gave the youngster his debut at the Vicente Calderón, and then his subsequent starts. Pep was a believer of his talent, Tito isn't (atleast thats the msg he has sent out so far). Tito doesn't strike me as a risk taker with the youth, as opposed to Pep who was quite visionary and big promoter of La Masia, and wasn't afraid to throw them in to the thick of action, experience or not. The former did/does play Montoya and Tello, but them both had already featured under Pep for the first team in some toughies. I doubt Tito would just take a youth defender and debut him at a hostile ground like Pep did. Though he could prove me wrong in the future.

The sane thing to do would be to do away with Fontas, JDS, Bartra by next summer. And then go for a CB of Tito's choice, preferably summer, as it will be hard to find quality due to the dynamics of the winter transfer window. I hate how young talent(world class or not) is wasted on the bench, when they should be playing to rectify and fine tune their game at this juncture of their career.

89Norcal

There may be speculation on getting Nemanja Vidic but I think Sakho would be a great choice for Barca, and it's possible he could leave PSG on the cheap as well.

P

PhilS

Some of the young talent has been getting its chance. I'm sure Thiago would be playing if he was healthy. Tello has been on the field quite a bit this year, Montoya has gotten some play. We'll see with Cuenca when he gets back. Barta has gotten to the bench, so Tito regards him as part of the team.

I would not be surprised to see JDS, Fontas, and either Villa or Cuenca leave this winter. Either Tito will begin to give Bartra some playing time, or some solid veteran CB will be added. Not a huge star, a squad player to be #4 CB until Tito goes to Bartra.

Ursegor

World Champion
I feel Pep would 've brought along Bartra nicely, seeing it was he who gave the youngster his debut at the Vicente Calderón, and then his subsequent starts. Pep was a believer of his talent, Tito isn't (atleast thats the msg he has sent out so far). Tito doesn't strike me as a risk taker with the youth, as opposed to Pep who was quite visionary and big promoter of La Masia, and wasn't afraid to throw them in to the thick of action, experience or not. The former did/does play Montoya and Tello, but them both had already featured under Pep for the first team in some toughies. I doubt Tito would just take a youth defender and debut him at a hostile ground like Pep did. Though he could prove me wrong in the future.

The sane thing to do would be to do away with Fontas, JDS, Bartra by next summer. And then go for a CB of Tito's choice, preferably summer, as it will be hard to find quality due to the dynamics of the winter transfer window. I hate how young talent(world class or not) is wasted on the bench, when they should be playing to rectify and fine tune their game at this juncture of their career.

Bartra is definitely in Tito's plans. Other than Fontas and dos Santos, Bartra actually makes it into the squad lists. JDS for example doesn't even make it into the squad ahead of Sergi Roberto who is still with the B team, so it's clear he isn't in Tito's plans at all.

Vilanova: "Bartra will have playing time but this wasn't a game to test him."

I'm confident after getting the Clasico out of the way now, Bartra will get play time.

Also you say "Montoya and Tello had already featured under Pep" but remember what Pep and Tito said? They did everything together. We have absolutely no idea if throwing Tello against Real Madrid wasn't actually Tito's idea. Seeing how often Tito plays Tello this season, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Just relax. We'll see plenty of Bartra and Villa soon enough. It's still October.

Barca8

I agree we need to see more of David Villa & Bartra. Puyol is our leader and captain. His tenacity and pride for this great club is irreplaceable. But as time goes on we need to fill the spots. Depending on how well Muniesa recovers; him and Bartra are our homegrown CBs for the future. We've seen very little of them but they are both very young and training with Puyol/Pique is a great learning experience. With that said we still don't have any depth at the position.

We need to sell Afellay & Fontas and bring in a few CBs and a CF.
For CBs Hummels & Vertonghen are the first choices. Versatile defenders who are also great in starting the attack. But both have 5 year deals at their clubs. In this scenario I can see Vertonghen moving first being that who are Spurs compared to Barca & Germans are loyal to their clubs and country. Dortmund are building a dynasty and Hummels is part of their future. Ideally I'd like to see both at Barca. What's likely is Dede from Vasco who is solid. If we are to go for cheaper "untried" choices maybe Yanga-Mbiwa of Montpellier or Bruno Martins-Indi of Feyenoord.

We also only have one CF and with Villa out we really suffered. With our style of play we need a versatile striker in the Villa, Eto'o, Henry mold. I'd like to see Pato of Milan. He's had problems with injuries recently but he's a player who'd fit right into our system.

Arachnid

A question which bothers me the most. When Abi will be back?

I'm sure that guy can play on LB and LCB as well.

According to Xavi, November. December at the most.

According to what I've read about liver transplants, maybe he'll play half an hour on an exhibition match a couple of years from now.

Home of Barca Fans