Defender for next season?

Arachnid

Fair enough. I just think your're being way too harsh on Song, and it seems you refuse to give any form of credit where it's due.
Oh, and please refrain from putting words in my mouth. I've never said he was a great tackler, but he's nowhere near as bad as you claim him to be.

He's not good enough in a purely defensive role, not just for a big side, for most first division sides. As a MF he's great, but he'll be a disaster in the Clasico. Nothing against him, really, but for all he adds to our attack, our defense is ridiculously weak, and that's been proven over and over for the last couple of weeks. No exaggerating.

big_man

He's not good enough in a purely defensive role, not just for a big side, for most first division sides. As a MF he's great, but he'll be a disaster in the Clasico. Nothing against him, really, but for all he adds to our attack, our defense is ridiculously weak, and that's been proven over and over for the last couple of weeks. No exaggerating.

I can counter this argument by saying he will have considerably less work to do in a team like Barcelona seeing as they concede far less possession and chances than most teams in Europe. Also, at the moment his biggest issue is positioning. He is not the fastest but is faster than Pique(in short distances at least), an intelligent player, good in the air and much stronger than both Pique and Puyol, positioning can be improved with time, and if he does, has all the attributes to be an excellent ball playing defender, give the guy a chance.
It seemed like absolute madness putting Mascherano at CB too, with time though he is showing he is more than good enough in that position. Tito obviously sees something in him to trust him at CB, afterall that's the position he (Song) started is career at.

Last edited:

Arachnid

I can counter this argument by saying he will have considerably less work to do in a team like Barcelona seeing as they concede far less possession and chances than most teams in Europe. Also, at the moment his biggest issue is positioning. He is not the fastest but is faster than Pique(in short distances at least), an intelligent player, good in the air and much stronger than both Pique and Puyol, positioning can be improved with time, and if he does, has all the attributes to be an excellent ball playing defender, give the guy a chance.
It seemed like absolute madness putting Mascherano at CB too, with time though he is showing he is more than good enough in that position. Tito obviously sees something in him to trust him at CB, afterall that's the position he (Song) started is career at.

Indeed, but while Mascherano was a purely defensive midfielder, Song became a relevant player only because of his passing and forward movement. That's a fact.

It's not even about Song, we are Barcelona, we defend and attack with 11 midfielders. Without at least a true CB, we are severely lacking on defensive movement, and you only need to watch the last few games to admit that's a big problem.

Wouterinho

About Song; I'm not going to join the general discussion, I'm starting to form my opinion but I want to see him play more, a few games aren't enough to judge.

About the general topic: Does anyone have any news about Yanga Mbiwa? Because IF we buy a defender, he would be a cheap option and seems to have potential (don't know him that good tbh, but what I've read about him is very positive).

Arachnid

About Song; I'm not going to join the general discussion, I'm starting to form my opinion but I want to see him play more, a few games aren't enough to judge.

About the general topic: Does anyone have any news about Yanga Mbiwa? Because IF we buy a defender, he would be a cheap option and seems to have potential (don't know him that good tbh, but what I've read about him is very positive).

Apparently he's pretty much a Milan player... Montpelier's owner just got butthurt about him wanting to leave so he won't send him to Italy until January.

khaled_a_d

Honestly ,if we didn't but next summer I think we should spend big to get a CB ,I mean go for a guy like Hummels for example
I mean our mid-field is set ,same with the front line ,and ith Deulofeu,Rafa/Segi coming from the Barca B ,we don't need a new player at those lines ,same can be said bout the full backs ,Neymar is probably exception as he is considered a special talent ,but we may go for him in 2014
so if this is the case,our summer transfer targets will be a CB and a back up GK ,and with our transfer budget being arund 40M,I don't see why we would need to go for the cheaper players than the quality ones
In the past decade we always had pair of quality starting CB with Puyol/Marquez then Puyol/Pique ,we have been lucky to either have those coming from the youth ranking or through a good bargain , but that can't continue forever if we don't spend

DennyCrane

Don't know if he was already mentioned, but we could go for Elsam "Milo" Ramadan. Young, shapeable and very versatile: He can play any position in the backline AND he'll probably be reasonably priced. Go for him before Wenger does.

Arachnid

Don't know if he was already mentioned, but we could go for Elsam "Milo" Ramadan. Young, shapeable and very versatile: He can play any position in the backline AND he'll probably be reasonably priced. Go for him before Wenger does.

Or, you know, Tito could give a chance to Bartra or even Fontàs, you know, the ones who have been literally the starting pair in the Spanish NT's youth sides for years.

DennyCrane

Or, you know, Tito could give a chance to Bartra or even Fontàs, you know, the ones who have been literally the starting pair in the Spanish NT's youth sides for years.

If he wanted to do so he would have already done it. But he didn't and probably won't. I don't know his reasons for that but he obviously doesn't trust them. Although I'd like to see both in the first team - actually playing that is - I dont think it will happen. In the medium term they will probably leave or be made to. Case closed.

khaled_a_d

LOL that one gave me a good laugh
I am Egyptian ,and trust me I would like nothing more than seeing Egyptian playing with my favorite team ,but the kid isn't that good at least yet
yes he has potential but he is 2-3 years away from being good enough to play for European Elite ,right now he is very mistake Vulnerable
And his primary position is LB anyway

kostasgtc

The cb has been a problem since Abidal got sick, and Puyol started having constant injuries.
AND pique stopped to be who he used to be.

khaled_a_d

Is it even possible to actually get a CB before winter transfer?, I also don't know of any decent freelance CBs being available
We have 25 players in the squad , I remember that years ago (back in 2004) when Motta was injured that there is exception for teams in case of a long injury (like Musinsia),not sure if the rule still esists because that was 8 years ago ,but having 25 players won't allow us to use it
We will need to off-load JDS and Fontas in the winter ,they are just died weight for this team tbh

Meitux

We have 25 players in the squad , I remember that years ago (back in 2004) when Motta was injured that there is exception for teams in case of a long injury (like Musinsia),not sure if the rule still esists because that was 8 years ago ,but having 25 players won't allow us to use it
We will need to off-load JDS and Fontas in the winter ,they are just died weight for this team tbh
yeah i agree Fontas and Dos Santos dont have a place in this team they should immediately go

Home of Barca Fans