Defender for next season?

FiReFTW

why not botia (about 3 million euros)?

seriously, why buy a world class defender when we have 3 ??

last year rosell was talking about reducing our debt.. iirc..

What 3 "world class" defenders are you talking about, lol.

Barcilliant

The obsession with Thiago Silva is hard to understand. He is used to the Italian style of play. It will take him at least 1-2 seasons to figure out the Barca style. Also in Spain the pace of the game is quicker. In Italy its slower and more tactics based. He's either at his peak or past it. He's too expensive also.

Alba-just NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Please, we have enough attacking midgets in the team. Just save money and play Adriano.

Barcilliant

We had 4 world class defenders -Alves, Puyol, Pique and Abidal. We now only have an inconsistent Pique and Alves. Masch has done very well but to call him a world class cb is stretching it. Puyol is past it, sadly I think Abidal is finished too.

We badly need to replce those 2 or we will ALWAYS end up short in the big matches against the big teams.

SeloBarca

Agree, even if we take up Montoya, hes not experianced enough yet.
Abidal, unfortunally, probably wont come back. Pique is unconsistant, but i want to keep him becouse hes really good at his best. Puyol is such a beast and warms your heart everytime hes on the field, but we have to realize even a beast like Puyol gets older.
Alves noone really knows whats going around him right now, but hes our best defender, and hes not even a pure defender.

Alves, Pique, Hummels, Alaba. Very unrealistic, but that would be win.

Viscabarca

for me defensive lineup wud be...
Pique Puyol
subs: Fontas subs: Masherano
Dani Alves Bartra G. Bale
subs:Montoya subs:Abidal
Sell adriano..... and here we hace a solid defence line and fiercing attack from wings....

psychotsek

Abidal, unfortunally, probably wont come back.Pique is unconsistant, but i want to keep him becouse hes really good at his best. Puyol is such a beast and warms your heart everytime hes on the field, but we have to realize even a beast like Puyol gets older.
Alves noone really knows whats going around him right now, but hes our best defender, and hes not even a pure defender.

Pique had 3 consecutive excellent seasons and in the first one he has some problems he becomes incosistent??He is still young hasn't had any serious injury and remains one of our clubs best defenders.
We have 3 world class CBs Pique,Masch and Puyol.We should buy a good young player that can help but also wouldn't mind beeing used as a sub at least for his first season.

Last edited:

0n0mat0p0eia

Defensive problems solved in a word...Vertonghen! He can play LB, CB, DM. He is tall (1.89m), is left footed, gets involved in attacks and had a good shot. He is Ajax captain so has leadership qualities. He is only 25 years old.
If you play 3 at the back, you can go Vertonghen..Puyol/Masch....Pique. Play 4 at the back, then it can be Vertonghen...Puyol/Mash...Pique...Alves.

I personally would love to see us buy Bale as well, and to play:

Valdez
Pique PUYOL/Masch Vertonghen
Alves Xavi/Cesc Busquets Bale
Sanchez Iniesta
Messi

A 3-4-3 with Alves and Bale alternatively motoring up the wings. If Alves is caught upfield the backs can move along to cover with Bale sitting in at LB; if Bale is forward backs move and Alves goes to RB. All the while Biscuit protects the back 3 or 4 as need be.

Buying Vertonghen and Bale gives 1 CB, 2 LBs, 1 DM and 1 LW in 2 players...versatility. It gives height in defence, and attack. It gives youth, power and pace aplenty.

Just a thought.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Unfortunately you've just wasted the last few minutes writing that. Vertonghen is bound for the Premiership with Tottenham being his likely destination.

0n0mat0p0eia

Unfortunately you've just wasted the last few minutes writing that. Vertonghen is bound for the Premiership with Tottenham being his likely destination.

Next time ure at a Spurs board meeting can you get me tickets. Do you know if you will give Harry Redknap a new contract?
Until it happens it hasnt happened. I think that this is the difference between the present and the future. Einstein hypothesised that until we can move fatser than the speed of light, then time travel is impossible.
What are the lottery numbers NEXT weekend.

Wouterinho

Next time ure at a Spurs board meeting can you get me tickets. Do you know if you will give Harry Redknap a new contract?
Until it happens it hasnt happened. I think that this is the difference between the present and the future. Einstein hypothesised that until we can move fatser than the speed of light, then time travel is impossible.
What are the lottery numbers NEXT weekend.
Yet I'm quite sure 'Fourteen' is right

Barcilliant

Abidal, unfortunally, probably wont come back. Pique is unconsistant, but i want to keep him becouse hes really good at his best. Puyol is such a beast and warms your heart everytime hes on the field, but we have to realize even a beast like Puyol gets older.

Would love that back line. Love Alaba & Hummels!

Barcilliant

Puyol is old-people need to get over him. His loss of pace exposes him and the team. He has been an icon for the club but he is no longer first team material. His injuries alone will keep him out of matches. Then when he does get to play he has to gain match fitness, form etc.

Since we dont seem enthusiastic about promoting any of the Masia boys we HAVE to go into the market and get 2 defenders.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Puyol is old-people need to get over him. His loss of pace exposes him and the team. He has been an icon for the club but he is no longer first team material. His injuries alone will keep him out of matches. Then when he does get to play he has to gain match fitness, form etc.

Since we dont seem enthusiastic about promoting any of the Masia boys we HAVE to go into the market and get 2 defenders.

Pepe Silvia

Some people seem to not understand the art of defending and think that pace is somehow equivalent to skill. Sure Puyol has lost pace, but what he lacks in pace he more than makes up for in pure defending. The ability to time a play and stick out a leg at precisely the right time, to not stick out a leg and risk getting faked out.

The art of taking on a world class forward 1 v 1 and making them wish they had stayed at home.

People need to understand that Puyol is an irreplaceable player. Had Puyol (most definitely a slower specimen to years past) not been available for all those clasicos, they would have been much much closer affairs with CR scoring a boatload of goals, had it not been for the wisdom and sheer defensive power of Puyol.

He is still world class, and has many years left in the tank, believe, we just have to accommodate him in our back line (mainly by Pique not acting like a lazy bastard anymore, he's off to a great start mind you) and play to his strengths, because the minute Puyol gets exposed (which can only be for speed to be sure), we'll have Cules saying he is no longer first team material.

It's a high profile position, and when he looks bad he looks bad. Let's not pretend that he is past it though, because when he looks good, he looks GOOD.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Vertonghen to Tottenham is not a done deal yet. He's currently vacationing in Barcelona.

Him or Javi Martinez would be a great fit.

Home of Barca Fans