Denis Suarez

opjeoff

He's not a finished product of course he goes missing in games when he plays with likes of Iniesta. He has already showed he can do it here and has the skill set needed it's just a question of him being consistently at that level.

BBZ8800

He's not a finished product of course he goes missing in games when he plays with likes of Iniesta. He has already showed he can do it here and has the skill set needed it's just a question of him being consistently at that level.

A guy played 353 official minutes in his Barca's career, or 6 matches.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/106525
2 super cup matches and 4 La liga matches.
Never played full 90 minutes in a match, plus he was poor/meh in last 3 matches (Bilbao, Alaves, Leganes).

This is not a post about whether some player will make it here or not, I just don't get the logic of a lot of posts here, which says: "A player XX has already shown that he is good for us" and similar.

How can a player prove that he is good enough for us after 2-3 matches or after 100-200 good minutes?
We need a much larger sample of matches (or even seasons) to see whether a player is good/not good enough for our level.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
A guy played 353 official minutes in his Barca's career, or 6 matches.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/106525
2 super cup matches and 4 La liga matches.
Never played full 90 minutes in a match, plus he was poor/meh in last 3 matches (Bilbao, Alaves, Leganes).

This is not a post about whether some player will make it here or not, I just don't get the logic of a lot of posts here, which says: "A player XX has already shown that he is good for us" and similar.

How can a player prove that he is good enough for us after 2-3 matches or after 100-200 good minutes?
We need a much larger sample of matches (or even seasons) to see whether a player is good/not good enough for our level.

I think you're taking the is good enough part a not literally. It simply means that he has the skill set, mentality and technique to be a Barca player if we go by his games thus far for us. I mean you can clearly see yourself if some player is simply put out of his depth, but that's not the case for Denis

BBZ8800

I think you're taking the is good enough part a not literally. It simply means that he has the skill set, mentality and technique to be a Barca player if we go by his games thus far for us. I mean you can clearly see yourself if some player is simply put out of his depth, but that's not the case for Denis

I don't agree.
About Denis, for now, he showed:

Good things:
+ he has some nice technical skills
+ he can link up well with attackers
+ he can produce some magical passes
+ he is not dumb

Bad things:
- he disappears during matches in some periods
- he is not imposing himself as he should as a Barca's midfielder
- he is not covering as much space as Rakitic or Gomes
- he isn't good at recovering loose balls
- he is poor in defending
- he is slightly all over the place like Rafinha in positional sense

Again, it is way too early since he can surely improve a lot in all areas and we will need 1-2 seasons to see whether he is Barca's material.
When you say or other posters that he has a skillset needed for Barca, imo, you are again mostly looking only at attacking skillset, passes, technique and dribbles.
Denis has that, but that is not the only area of game for Barca's midfielder.

Analogy would be Halilovic, Adama or similar players.
Adama has awesome attacking skillset, but he lacks in IQ, defending, and lots of other areas.
Has he proved then that he is good enough for Barca?
Well, in attacking part he is good enough.
But overall, on all areas=he is not good enough.

Halilovic=world class in some areas, like dribbling, technique and similar.
But lacks in other areas.
Has he convinced that he is good enough for Barca?
Well, in attacking sense he is good enough.
Overall, not yet.

So, let's go back to Denis or any other player:
1. not only that he played only 300 minutes in Barca which is too early to say whether he is good enough or not (not to mention crazy comparisons like: he is our player for the next decade or he is the next Iniesta)
2. plus, in these 300 minutes, he showed some good things and some bad things

So, again, if a player is good in one area of a game, it is hard to say: he is good enough for Barca.
Look, Alex Vidal is good enough for Barca if we look only at crossing and attacking actions.
When we look his overall skillset in lots of areas needed for his position, he is not good enough then.

It simply means that he has the skill set, mentality and technique to be a Barca player

So, about this part above: he showed ONLY that he has technique to be Barca's player.
We are yet to analyze more his overall skillset, like defending, workrate, linkingup, stamina etc.
Plus, we haven't seen too much of his mentality or mental strength yet to analyze him better.

Last edited:

gasgas

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]
word there

I also get a bit mad when i see "next Iniesta" talk

People think of Iniesta as only gliding past players and producing nice passes

They forget the crucial aspects that Iniesta possesses
-defensive workrate
-keeping possession
-controlling the tempo of the game
-link up

BBZ8800

I have a feeling that a current pecking order of our CMs is:
1. Iniesta/Rakitic
2. Arda
3. Gomes
4. Rafinha
5. Denis

Denis seemed to be infornt of Gomes and Rafinha a few weeks ago.
Gomes is playing more than him lately.
Now it seems that Rafinha is infront of Denis also in this moment.

(This is based on minutes played in a last 3-4 matches, compared to minutes played in supercup and first 2-3 matches)
** If Rafinha will be a midfielder today

Last edited:

gasgas

1. Iniesta/Rakitic
2. Arda
3. Gomes
4. Rafinha
5. Denis

(This is based on minutes played in a last 3-4 matches, compared to minutes played in supercup and first 2-3 matches)
Arda is not in the CM peckinv order
He's been played LW and RW so far

Icarium

Lifestealer
1. Iniesta/Rakitic
2. Arda
3. Gomes
4. Rafinha
5. Denis

Rafinha is not a midfielder. At least not better than Denis. Denis and Gomes are the future. They should be given more chances. Rafinha as winger backup is a good option. Arda is a big roadblock for all three kids. Hope that is not the case. Only when all three failed to impact arda needs to be called.

serghei

I can't help but notice he's a lot better when he comes from the bench, then when he starts. He's still very inconsistent during the course of a full game. But I liked it that he made a very nice through ball for 5-0, while also having a contribution for the Arda goal. Good solution coming from the bench, especially in games in which we have control but lack a good rythm in passing.

Last edited:

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Rafinha is not a midfielder. At least not better than Denis. Denis and Gomes are the future. They should be given more chances. Rafinha as winger backup is a good option. Arda is a big roadblock for all three kids. Hope that is not the case. Only when all three failed to impact arda needs to be called.

How is Arda a roadblock? If they are good enough to outplay Turan, they will play instead of him. Right now Arda is better then them and thus plays more, this is Barca not FC Youth

Vilarrubi

How is Arda a roadblock? If they are good enough to outplay Turan, they will play instead of him. Right now Arda is better then them and thus plays more, this is Barca not FC Youth

Yeah exactly, our priority is the present not the future. If Arda is performing better than Denis/Gomes he will play more, simple as that.

Home of Barca Fans