Douglas Pereira dos Santos

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
It wasn't really the best game to start him in, but I think that he will become a decent player once he gets rid of his nerves.

Stric

Horrible judgement by Enrique to throw him into the fire like that. Kind of like what Mourinho did to Lukaku with that final penalty some time ago. If it works, it's great, but if it doesn't, which is likely, it's really bad. Douglas has been under too much pressure and criticism just for being signed, you don't start him away against Malaga.

Alarcón

Have you played for FCB after tremendous scrutiny by fans and press?

I'm not saying he was great or that we have to give him time to blossom into the best RB there's ever been, just that nerves do play a part on the pitch... I agree he's not at the level required, but come on, it's understandable he was nervous...

No I have not but it's simple psychology and physiology, in these situations your focus switches on performing and your body shuts off other, unnecessary things, like who criticised you before the match or what the media said. I'm not even blaming him, just stating that I think what he did on the pitch had little to do with his being nervous and more with the fact that he's not good enough.

Stric

No I have not but it's simple psychology and physiology, in these situations your focus switches on performing and your body shuts off other, unnecessary things, like who criticised you before the match or what the media said. I'm not even blaming him, just stating that I think what he did on the pitch had little to do with his being nervous and more with the fact that he's not good enough.

Do you have scientific proof of this? Because if you don't, then it's just you making an assumption. Just like I am currently making an assumption that every person has a different personality and character, and they all deal differently with situations like this. Unless you can claim with scientific certainty that somehow your brains shuts off all thought about being under pressure, which you can't, then your argument means nothing. Do you really think that Torres wasn't thinking about what incredible criticism he's receiving for not scoring every time he was on the pitch?

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I thought he looked scare out of his mind of making mistakes. You can't play like that and hope to succeed. His supposed strong side, offense, was weaker than his supposed weak side, defense. All due to being scared to mess up.

I think he can be better than he showed, but he needs to loosen himself up. That was not great out there.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yes, it looked like he wanted to attack, but then in fear of not messing up kept playing backpasses. Hope he does better whenever he plays now.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Do you have scientific proof of this? Because if you don't, then it's just you making an assumption. Just like I am currently making an assumption that every person has a different personality and character, and they all deal differently with situations like this. Unless you can claim with scientific certainty that somehow your brains shuts off all thought about being under pressure, which you can't, then your argument means nothing. Do you really think that Torres wasn't thinking about what incredible criticism he's receiving for not scoring every time he was on the pitch?

You might think about it subconsciously and it affects you. That's why form exists in football and life.

Henry_IB

Banned
I don't believe in that "nervous" stuff. I've played football for countless years and no matter how nervous you are, once the game starts, you move and you get involved, the nervosity falls off, you don't even think of it anymore. He is just not at the level required.

Well of course, because you work and respond to stress in this manner, it must mean it is the objective truth for every person on earth. Thanks for sharing this scientifically proven theory with us and proving that you are the image by which god created mankind.

And in case you don't get it, that was sarcasm. Embarrassing post.

On a serious note, bad debut, but I don't think people expected anything else.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Douglas starts, barca gets first draw of the season :worthy:

Lord for a reason...

Seriously though he played like shit. No more starts for him hopefully, just give him salary and keep him happy but please never start him.

Alarcón

Do you really think that Torres wasn't thinking about what incredible criticism he's receiving for not scoring every time he was on the pitch?

Torres was poor because he lost confidence in his ability which is directly related to what he did on the pitch and has nothing to do with the criticism he received, otherwise he wouldn't have been so bad in the several games before people started making fun of him. It's something similar with Alexis 2 years ago, I can't remember the media criticising him all that much and still he didn't score for 19 games, again that is all related to his performance on the pitch and has nothing to do with what people say about him.

Well of course, because you work and respond to stress in this manner, it must mean it is the objective truth for every person on earth. Thanks for sharing this scientifically proven theory with us and proving that you are the image by which god created mankind.

And in case you don't get it, that was sarcasm. Embarrassing post.

On a serious note, bad debut, but I don't think people expected anything else.

What should I do, google every study on the subject and post it here? I thought this was common sense and I apologise for assuming you know the least bit about that subject. If you're so interested in it, look it up yourself. I learned that stuff in school for god's sake.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

One thing about Douglas, while he was playing for sao paulo, is that he would lose confidence during a game. He is like that mentally. If he made a mistake, he'd get affected and then his game would go downhill.

Henry_IB

Banned
What should I do, google every study on the subject and post it here? I thought this was common sense and I apologise for assuming you know the least bit about that subject. If you're so interested in it, look it up yourself. I learned that stuff in school for god's sake.

I like how in your first reply you say don't believe in this "nervous" stuff and your evidence for it is a personal story about yourself and now all of a sudden it is a fact, even common sense that you learned in school.

Secondly, I am sure basically the whole field of psychology has it all wrong with their studies which clearly show that stress can very heavily influence performance. I mean after all, you learned the opposite in school so they must be wrong. If only all different sports organizations across the world had gone to your school, they could have saved a lot of money by not hiring sport psychologists for their teams.

While you're at, could you link me one of all those studies that explicitly state that stress doesn't affect performance?

Last edited:

Alarcón

I like how in your first reply you say don't believe in this "nervous" stuff and your evidence for it is a personal story about yourself and now all of a sudden it is a fact, even a common sense even that you learned in school.

Secondly, I am sure basically the whole field of psychology has it all wrong with their studies which clearly show that stress can very heavily influence performance. I mean after all, you learned the opposite in school so they must be wrong. If only all different sports organizations across the world had gone to your school, they could have saved a lot of money by not hiring sport psychologists for their teams.

While you're at, could you link me one of all those studies that explicitly state that stress doesn't affect a performance?

Please tell me exactly where I said this. Judging from your ridiculous comments it seems to be in your nature not to differentiate between 2 terms that are wildly different or "nervosity" wouldn't have become "stress" all of a sudden.

Normally I'd reply by showing you exactly the nonsensical things you said but in your case it would really take too long and most likely wouldn't have any effect. The fact that you can't set apart 2 simple terms is enough evidence for me that you don't understand a word I'm saying.

Henry_IB

Banned
Please tell me exactly where I said this. Judging from your ridiculous comments it seems to be in your nature not to differentiate between 2 terms that are wildly different or "nervosity" wouldn't have become "stress" all of a sudden.

Normally I'd reply by showing you exactly the nonsensical things you said but in your case it would really take too long and most likely wouldn't have any effect. The fact that you can't set apart 2 simple terms is enough evidence for me that you don't understand a word I'm saying.

Nervous and stress are basically the same thing in this context. Even if I were to rewrite my previous post and replace all the times I wrote "stress" with "nervosity", my argument will still hold and be valid.

The fact that despite reading the whole argument, the best you could do was pretend to be upset that I swapped a word for a similar one and use it as a deflection to not answer properly goes to show what a joke you are. You keep embarrassing yourself on so many levels.

Home of Barca Fans