Dusan Vlahović

True. Too bad the tension is still high in Bosnia and of course in Ukraine. If Russia conquers the whole Balkan/Eastern area and forms a new Soviet Union, they might become a power nation in the footballing world!

"Yugoslavia" has nothing with Ukraine and like born Serb, I can tell you there are not so called "tensions" between ex YU countries except maybe politicians, but normal people are still normal people. But that has nothing with football. Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia are small countries and if you make statistic, we produce a lot of football talents in compare to some larger countries. It's like mentality "kill or be killed". Thats why I've compared Vlahovic with Ibrahimovic, not because of his style of play, it's his morale and I can say "
"attitude".
I would like to see him in Barca, but I know it's never going to happen just like Dusan Tadic didn't happen and he still makes wonders at Ajax.

topt

True. Too bad the tension is still high in Bosnia and of course in Ukraine. If Russia conquers the whole Balkan/Eastern area and forms a new Soviet Union, they might become a power nation in the footballing world!

Well, US tried that and they still suck

slicknick

If they do, there won't be much football to be played, as that would inevitably result in a global conflict (not to mention the fact that the clear majority of the Balkan/Eastern European countries are NATO members by now)

delancey

If they do, there won't be much football to be played, as that would inevitably result in a global conflict (not to mention the fact that the clear majority of the Balkan/Eastern European countries are NATO members by now)

If Russia invades Ukraine, NATO will sit by and watch until the conflict is over. Russia will be hit with sanctions as punishment until Germany needs cheap gas again. The end.

Blackened

If Russia invades Ukraine, NATO will sit by and watch until the conflict is over. Russia will be hit with sanctions as punishment until Germany needs cheap gas again. The end.

Putin would love to reunite Soviet Union. That would mean Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Bosnia, Croatia, Ukraine, Jugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, etc... Training camps held in Siberia. They would produce some quality talent!

delancey

Putin would love to reunite Soviet Union. That would mean Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Bosnia, Croatia, Ukraine, Jugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, etc... Training camps held in Siberia. They would produce some quality talent!

Deja vu! It worked for the USSR with hockey too! Their best players were playing hockey all day long in the military. Haha

Gnidrologist

Yugoslavia wasn't ever part of Soviet, not even Warsav pact, even though it was loyal ally and used similar regime.
Deja vu! It worked for the USSR with hockey too! Their best players were playing hockey all day long in the military. Haha
That's true. They even conned the olympic committee that their players are "amateurs" despite hockey being their only trade they honed all they long and nothing else, while other countries were forced to send their u20 teams against them. :lol: Propaganda that is efficient enough works even on your enemies and competitors.

delancey

Yugoslavia wasn't ever part of Soviet, not even Warsav pact, even though it was loyal ally and used similar regime.

That's true. They even conned the olympic committee that their players are "amateurs" despite hockey being their only trade they honed all they long and nothing else, while other countries were forced to send their u20 teams against them. :lol: Propaganda that is efficient enough works even on your enemies and competitors.
Sure! Have you ever seen the movie Miracle? The film dives into the topic of just how dominant the USSR was in hockey due to what you mentioned above.

Gnidrologist

Never watched it, but heard what's it about. Those american kids really did miracle, because their youth basically defeated creme de la creme of Soviet professionals, who were at incredibly high level at the time. I know that without seeing a movie, but will probably watch it some time, when i'm old and even more bored than now. I mostly dislike overly dramatic pompous films that rely on emotional effect. Maybe when i'm old retired man.

It was very well known to the soviet people that their players were top tier professionals despite the propaganda media telling how they were just simple guys, who did their duties and played hockey in the mean time against the "lauded NHL professionals".
They had heavy advantage in the international tournaments as they always got their best players participate unlike other countries. This is not to diminish Soviet hockey school. It was great and lot of genius players were nurtured there. I hate Soviet, but love the style they played. Soviet hockey school was basically tiki-taka of ice hockey. Very relying on high technical ability and quick passing.

Never the less, every live match was infused with this deceitful propaganda that soviets were some kind of underdogs. When the Summit Series and their sequels went on they repeatedly told "our simple boys against NHL professionals" and most people believed. Just like people believe in propaganda bullshit now. :lol:

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans