El Clasico 10/11: FC Barcelona - Real Madrid 5-0 Manita!

veryfatchocobo

Valdez
Alves Pique Puyol Abidal
Busquets
Xavi Iniesta
Pedro Messi Villa

Pep is going to play the strongest formation, simple. Why should he change it to a more defesnive formation when playing at home when he has the players to win it. If there is a change it is going to be a direct change in players and in the stretegy, not in the formation. Changing the formation because of Mourinho will be giving him way too much respect and that is not going to go well in the Camp Nou.

You will not see Abidal run up more than 5 times the whole game. Barcelona can easily do what Madrid do, defend in 10 and attack in six.

When Barca are on the run its going to be like this:

Valdes
Pique Busquets, Puyol Abidal

Xavi
Iniesta
Pedro Messi Villa
Barcelona will pressure from the top, that is where Villa and Pedro will come in and the back four are more than experienced to face Real Madrid's attack specially against Christiano.
So, I guess Dani Alves will get an early red? <_< Also, based on the 2nd Clasico, I don't think Pep'll play our best 11.

I'm concerned of a couple things from RM's gameplan. The first is the counter obviously. Mourinho has perfected their main way of scoring by forcing his players to attack at the correct positions at the right time. The second is Oezil (and not CR9). Once the ball goes to him, he can pinpoint anybody in a scoring position. The midfield must prevent Xabi Alonso from giving the ball to Oezil in critical positions of the field. Alternatively, Busquets or Mascherano has to force Oezil out of his central position. This will force CR9 to the center, and this is all Pique from here.

We can play Mascherano over Busquets since there's no aerial threat from RM. Mascherano is better with the ground game IMO. However, Busquets has successfully marked Oezil, so I'm thinking he'll start. Also, I'm actually willing to think he'll play Busquets-Mascherano, or play Keita with Busquets (Keita-Busquets won't be a double pivot). I'm fairly sure he'll play Iniesta on the wing, too, dropping either Villa or Pedro. Based on form, the attacking trident will probably be Pedro-Messi-Iniesta

One thing that worked in the 2nd Clasico last year is Pep's formation and tactics vs. Pellegrini's lopsided formation. Zonal Marking explains how we won that game (that guy is amazing). Those tactics definitely will not work this time as Mourinho will use a more balanced formation. However, Mourinho will probably instruct Khedira to mark a forward running Dani Alves. If Mourinho is stupid, this will give Xavi his space to distribute. However, when they attack, he's going to exploit Dani Alves's and Abidal's advanced positions, just as he did in the Semis of the CL with Inter.

There's been a simple strategy that has completely shut us down these past games. Although Pep has sometimes out-played this strategy down (like yesterday), it still works to great effect. That is the shutting of passing zones on top of the center of the 18 yard box. Copenhagen gave us trouble because of this. Same with Inter. RM's players are perfectly capable of doing this, too, especially since the only two people that won't defend behind Xavi will be CR9 and Higuain, who will prevent the ball from going to Pique and Puyol. When there's pressure on our CBs, that ball will not go to Xavi as much. One thing to do is make Xavi and Messi make runs to give Iniesta space. I don't think he'll be marked as heavily as those two, as it is hard to mark more than 2 people on the pitch. However, that is a negative tactic, and I think Pep has a couple trump cards in his hand to make sure they will be used effectively like the 2nd Clasico.

What RM has to be worried about is how they react when they get the ball. Obviously, Barcelona will have 65-80% of the ball. They can't score if they don't have the ball. However, they've been perfectly capable of winning with 3+ goals without dominating possession. But from what I've seen, once they lose Oezil, they lose the majority of their attacking threat. That doesn't mean that Xabi Alonso's effectiveness will die though. He still has CR9 to give the ball to, and CR9 is always RM's main scoring threat.

Given Villa's ineffectiveness when teams park the bus in front of the box since this is what Mourinho will make RM do, I'm willing to think that this will be Pep's paper formation:

---------Valdes-------------
A--Pique--Puyol--Abidal
L--------Busquets-----------
V-----Xavi------Keita-------
E--Iniesta---Messi-----------
S---------------------Pedro-

On attack, Busquets will drop to the back to give the midfield more roaming space. Keita will be the late running midfielder. Xavi and Messi will be the orchestrators. Iniesta will be the free roamer. Alves will play wing when Iniesta moves around. Pedro will be the main forward runner. Messi will be the man to make the scoring runs. I still think if the park is successful, we should drop a player back to give more space on the pitch (like how the CL Semi game against Chelsea). We can't outnumber a team in attack if they defend with 10 players. The effectiveness of RM's attack will depend on Keita, since I'd think he'd know where to drop back when they get the ball.

Watch how this will expose my stupidity and how wrong my pre-analysis for this game is. <_<

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Watch how this will expose my stupidity and how wrong my pre-analysis for this game is. <_<
That's alright man, it's the fate of everyone. There are only a few in the world what is going to happen (players + coach) so all the rest you read, is pure fantasy. It goes from 5-0 till 0-5 with everything in between also possible.

As for that second clasico: Pep has done it twice in the bernabeu. Play something you didn't do before. Messi in the middle in the first year, and last year something wholly different with Alves high up i believe.

Beast

The Observer
Game will be won and lost from the wings..

Marcelo vs Messi supported by Xabi or Caravalho (more logical choice ) while Khedira slot in to cover
Ramos vs Pedro or Iniesta .

We will try to pressure from the front to stop the flow.. Alves will stay @ the back this time he is playing a different Cristiano with more offensive power around him .
Ozil will have a quiet game me thinks unless Mascherano starts as he had him in his pocket few month ago .. it's down to Di Maria exploiting the left side of Barca.
Pepe has handled Villa well before i hope he do the same .

anyhow it's just a game, a much anticipated game that holds lots of promise .. i hope for a draw 2-2

J

Jordzibob

Another vote for 2-2, as I just posted in the prediction thread, that seems to be the most common one going round. Is that your hope Gio or is that what you think the scoreline will be?

J

Jordzibob

I think Mourinho will find a way to neutralise Villa, probably just stop him cutting inside on his left, and Casillas is good enough to deal with any of the shots across goal he tries to make. Across goal? Dont know how to describe it, he never goes direct with his shots.

zanela

So, I guess Dani Alves will get an early red? <_< Also, based on the 2nd Clasico, I don't think Pep'll play our best 11.

I'm concerned of a couple things from RM's gameplan. The first is the counter obviously. Mourinho has perfected their main way of scoring by forcing his players to attack at the correct positions at the right time. The second is Oezil (and not CR9). Once the ball goes to him, he can pinpoint anybody in a scoring position. The midfield must prevent Xabi Alonso from giving the ball to Oezil in critical positions of the field. Alternatively, Busquets or Mascherano has to force Oezil out of his central position. This will force CR9 to the center, and this is all Pique from here.

We can play Mascherano over Busquets since there's no aerial threat from RM. <_<

You saved my time with the highlighted part.

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
nah i would rather play ant eater over badger cause he knows the team way better than badger atm plus ant eater is a much better passer

J

Jordzibob

Biscuits is a better short passer, Mascherano is good with long balls and his short passes are always really accurate, it might add something different to put him in there.

J

Jordzibob

I think a freekick, and then a quick counter in the 89th minute or something. And Ronaldo is a huge aerial threat.

C

Carefree

Guardiola would be wise to ignore Ronaldo and focus more on Ozil - he's the dangerman, been at the hub of pretty much everything Ronaldo's done this season. That's why there's a big difference between Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. If Real Madrid try to take Xavi out the game, Messi is capable of dropping deeper and causing havoc from the middle, and carrying it into the final third.

One things for sure though, this game should be an absolute corker. I just hope Mourinho doesn't try to contain Barcelona for 90 minutes, imperative Barcelona score an early goal first to get an open game for the neutral.

Tomchin

Ozil will have a quiet game me thinks unless Mascherano starts as he had him in his pocket few month ago
I suppose you're talking about the WC-game between Argentina and Germany? Well, to be fair to Mascherano, he had to run the midfield all on his own back then; the attacking quartet (Higuain, Messi, Tevez, Di Maria) and Maxi Rodriguez didn't help out in midfield (and in defence) at all. So not really a good example imho.

Home of Barca Fans