England

Maradona37

Well, they play again on Saturday.

What do we think, are they gonna get their act together? I feel if they don't Switzerland clearly have more tools to punish them with than Slovakia did (and Slovakia almost sent them out).

If they turn up it could be a really good game, but the question is...will they? I feel Southgate needs to mix up his front six. Foden out on the left hand side clearly isn't working. It will also be interesting to see who replaces the suspended Guehi. I am thinking Konsa as he seems to be coming on before Gomez.

Andresito

Staff member
I think there's a good chance we match them up in a back three, with Saka and TAA as wingbacks.
You think Southgate would make that big of a change? Especially with Guehi out. Walker plays RCB?

Had a quick look and last time Southgate played a back 3 was in 2022.

Jenks

You think Southgate would make that big of a change? Especially with Guehi out. Walker plays RCB?

Had a quick look and last time Southgate played a back 3 was in 2022.
They shifted to a back three against Slovakia for a bit. I think it's a possibility, but maybe not in his make-up to make such a drastic change at this point. It would solve a lot of his issues though, like getting both Walker and TAA into the team.

Kane
Foden Palmer
Saka Rice Bellingham TAA
Konsa Stones Walker
Pickford
The question is would Southgate actually move Bellingham back, or do the more Southgate-ish thing of sticking Gallagher next to Rice as a runner and moving Bellingham into a front three. If anything Wharton would be perfect to put next to Rice in that system, but he's not getting a look-in for some reason.

Last edited:

Maradona37

The main thing he should do I think is drop one of Bellingham or Foden. I would also drop Saka for Palmer.

Playing Saka at LB or LWB is just another example of playing people out of position to get all the best players (on paper) into the team. As would be a 3 at the back, I think. In saying that they don't have any natural LBs anyway given sicknote Shaw and Gareth's bright idea of not selecting someone like Mitchell who would be a natural LB. I think he should stick with four at the back but select players in their proper positions - even if that mean dropping big names.

Trying to fit all the names into the team has been England's problem since forever.

Maradona37

Palmer has to start preferably as 10 so Foden can play right.

Drop Rice and play Ham and Mainoo behind front four.
Could do that. However, I don't really think Bellingham is a deeper-lying player. I am sure he could do a job there, but in my view it is a compromise. Better just to drop him entirely and play Rice and Mainoo/Wharton. Not that it will ever happen.

Temptation

Rice can't be dropped. It's that simple. A team without a proper DM never works.

Rice is one of England's main players.

Suggesting that Rice can or should be dropped is ridiculous.

Defensively none of the England midfielders are anywhere close to Declan. Won't even talk about positional sense, stability and leadership. No manager in the world would look at this England squad and have Rice out of the playing 11. Arguably the first name on the team sheet.

Jenks

Rice can't be dropped. It's that simple. A team without a proper DM never works.

Rice is one of England's main players.

Suggesting that Rice can or should be dropped is ridiculous.

Defensively none of the England midfielders are anywhere close to Declan. Won't even talk about positional sense, stability and leadership. No manager in the world would look at this England squad and have Rice out of the playing 11. Arguably the first name on the team sheet.
I would say Wharton is the purest #6 in the squad, and the closest thing we have to a Rodri.

Maradona37

I would say Wharton is the purest #6 in the squad, and the closest thing we have to a Rodri.
Good point. Wharton looks good and he sits deeper, plays more line-breaking passes than Rice, seems more of a playmaker.

But for experience, Rice has to start imo too.

Givenchy

Looks like a pussy for a manager trying to shoehorn big names into the team because he doesn't want to make a decision.

--------Kane
--Gordon-Jude-Saka
-----Rice-Mainoo
Trip-Konsa-Stones-Walker

gives us the most balance imo. If you wanna go more defensive, swap Mainoo with Wharton

Maradona37

Looks like a pussy for a manager trying to shoehorn big names into the team because he doesn't want to make a decision.

--------Kane
--Gordon-Jude-Saka
-----Rice-Mainoo
Trip-Konsa-Stones-Walker

gives us the most balance imo. If you wanna go more defensive, swap Mainoo with Wharton
That's what I keep saying. Balance > names.

Gordon is obviously a much worse player than Bellingham or Foden, but he offers the balance on the left they desperately need.

Jenks

--------Kane
--Gordon-Jude-Saka
-----Rice-Mainoo
Trip-Konsa-Stones-Walker

The pace of Gordon in behind helps, but you still have the problem is a LB with no left foot.

Home of Barca Fans