soul24rage

Depending on how Shaw is, this will be my preferred England starting XI

------------------------------Kane
Bellingham-------------------------------------------Saka
-----------------Mainoo--------------Wharton
-----------------------------Rice
Shaw---------Guehi------------------Stones------------Walker
------------------------------Pickford

Shaw to bombard up the left wing that allows Bellingham to cut in and attack the box. Mainoo and Wharton to help Rice to dominate the midfield. Walker to tulk in inside as a RCB. Foden to come in as a supersub.

Maradona37

Shaw to bombard up the left wing that allows Bellingham to cut in and attack the box. Mainoo and Wharton to help Rice to dominate the midfield. Walker to tulk in inside as a RCB. Foden to come in as a supersub.
Much more balanced than anything Southgate has picked, but still has some issues in my respectful opinion. I just don't think of Bellingham as an inverted winger, though no doubt he could do a job there. The midfield three is too defensive I think, though Mainoo (while overhyped) has more attacking ability than people think. I think my best team would be to play one of Wharton or Mainoo with Rice, put Bellingham or Foden in front of them, and then bring balance to the left by starting a natural player there (my pick would be Grealish even though I despise him, but Southgate didn't select him in the squad). I'd likely go with Gordon as he's the best at running in behind - with Kane's ability to drop deep and playing beautiful passes in for the players running beyond, Gordon makes sense.

I'd also be tempted to play Alexander-Arnold over Walker. Trent lacks the short passing and press resistance to play midfield, it's been a disaster. He's a right-back and that's the only position he should be used in - RB or RWB. Walker is a non-entity these days going forward, and Rice and Wharton can cover well for Trent. Saka is also quite good defensively. I am not a fan of Shaw really, but left-back is a problem area for England and they'd be better playing a natural on there (when he's fit) rather than trying to shoehorn Trippier in.

I tend to think you play players in their best positions, rather than trying to get all your best players (on paper) in your team. I don't think Bellingham should be moved deeper to play with Rice, so I think Southgate should decide on one of he and Foden and drop the other.

In saying all of this, with five subs these days (too many for my liking, but necessary with the silly football authorities continually adding more games, it should be quality over quantity) many players will get a chance, so if they're left out the starting lineup they can still impact the game. England can bring on fresh legs to change the shape and the makeup of the game, and the likes of Palmer and Eze would be good wildcards.

Last edited:

Temptation

I would play Bellingham as a number 10 and go with a fast direct Left Winger, Gordon who brings something different(getting in behind). That'll add much more balance to the team and an extra offensive dimension. Also, Kane excels at playing those balls in behind the defense(remember the famous Kane-Son dynamic).

None of your front 3 threatens the opponents by running in behind. Too many players who prefer the ball to feet.

I'll drop Wharton(or Mainoo) and play Gordon on the left. For stronger opponents I'd use Gallagher and his energy in the middle.

Jenks

Wharton is more of a #6 than Rice.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Bro you cant let Foden on bench, he has been City's best/second best player 😳

Maradona37

I choose the players that I want for my line up :valverde:
I agree with your general premise - play the players in their right positions, rather than the best players on paper. That's been England's undoing for many years, shoehorning players in cos they are the best players. Foden and Bellingham are obviously better than Gordon by a mile, but the balance and tactics of the team suits dropping one of them, playing Mainoo or Wharton, and playing Gordon or Eze wide left.

Home of Barca Fans