England

Birdy

He did? I'm surprised given his views on Catalan independence.

Yup.
Unfortunately it will be hard to locate the clip.
It was in his early City days, and he takled explicitly about wanting to coach national team, with the journalist joking that he would want to coach 'Cataluna', and Pep replying 'no, Spain'

jamrock

Yup.
It was in his early City days, and he takled explicitly about wanting to coach national team, with the journalist joking that he would want to coach 'Cataluna', and Pep replying 'no, Spain'

If pep takes over this team and they find a striker, it's over for international football, everyone would play Spain with 15 men behind the ball

Messigician

Yup.
Pep says alot of shit don’t buy it for a second lol

Maradona37

Get Sean Dyche in. Get them playing troglodyte centre-backs, no midfield, two grafting wingers, a big lump as a centre-forward. Pickford is already there for him so he has a base to build from. Get them back to the old days of getting stuck in, getting in about Johnny Foreigner and playing physical football, that's what we wanna see from the England National Team.

You know it makes sense.

Birdy

Get Sean Dyche in. Get them playing troglodyte centre-backs, no midfield, two grafting wingers, a big lump as a centre-forward. Pickford is already there for him so he has a base to build from. Get them back to the old days of getting stuck in, getting in about Johnny Foreigner and playing physical football, that's what we wanna see from the England National Team.

You know it makes sense.

TBF if they want to represent what is the traditional English style of play, they should go for Sean

Tyler

We were shocking in this Euros. Southgate outstayed his welcome years ago. So many mistakes were made. Not taking Grealish and Rashford were huge mistakes, regardless of club form. Palmer and Gordon were criminally under used. And the player England were crying out for in midfield all tournament long, Adam Wharton, didn't get a kick.

There's no shame in making a final and losing to a very good and in form Spain team. But it felt like England played at no more than 60% of what they should be capable of all tournament. Basically a Ferrari being driven by My Bean.

Maradona37

We were shocking in this Euros. Southgate outstayed his welcome years ago. So many mistakes were made. Not taking Grealish and Rashford were huge mistakes, regardless of club form. Palmer and Gordon were criminally under used. And the player England were crying out for in midfield all tournament long, Adam Wharton, didn't get a kick.

There's no shame in making a final and losing to a very good and in form Spain team. But it felt like England played at no more than 60% of what they should be capable of all tournament. Basically a Ferrari being driven by My Bean.
I dunno you know. I think you're overrating the players. They're not a 'ferrari' at all, that's flattering them - most of them get overrated beyond their abilities. Even if Pep was manager and Southgate wasn't, the English players could never play pass and move the way Spain do. You can tell by watching them they don't have the technique or football IQ.

With all due respect, you've fallen into the 'we have such amazing players' PL hype myth imo. I really don't think Foden, Saka, Bellingham (great goalscorer but average midfielder) etc are as good as claimed. They're definitely not better than their counterparts at other teams.

Southgate is pretty clueless but to his credit he didn't fall for the incessant hype around these players and knew they weren't good enough to live up to what the media said they could.

I said before the tournament they'd be underwhelming and I was right. They're very hyped up.

Also, not taking Rashford will never be a mistake. The guy is one of the most overrated players I have seen in 40 years of following football and had a terrible season to boot. he's shite. The mistake would be taking him and watching him be invisible against the first good team he played against. I agree that Grealish should have gone though, and played. Also agree in Wharton who I think is better than Mainoo.

This Southgate thing is overplayed. Managers make a big difference but they aren't magicians - they won't make really top players look as bad as the English players did. The players have to take some responsibility too.

England fans such as yourself have been blaming the manager for decades. At some point the penny has to drop that you all overrate the players.

Last edited:

Tyler

I dunno you know. I think you're overrating the players. They're not a 'ferrari' at all, that's flattering them - most of them get overrated beyond their abilities. Even if Pep was manager and Southgate wasn't, the English players could never play pass and move the way Spain do. You can tell by watching them they don't have the technique or football IQ.

With all due respect, you've fallen into the 'we have such amazing players' PL hype myth imo. I really don't think Foden, Saka, Bellingham (great goalscorer but average midfielder) etc are as good as claimed. They're definitely not better than their counterparts at other teams.

Southgate is pretty clueless but to his credit he didn't fall for the incessant hype around these players and knew they weren't good enough to live up to what the media said they could.

I said before the tournament they'd be underwhelming and I was right. They're very hyped up.

Also, not taking Rashford will never be a mistake. The guy is one of the most overrated players I have seen in 40 years of following football and had a terrible season to boot. he's shite. The mistake would be taking him and watching him be invisible against the first good team he played against. I agree that Grealish should have gone though, and played. Also agree in Wharton who I think is better than Mainoo.

This Southgate thing is overplayed. Managers make a big difference but they aren't magicians - they won't make really top players look as bad as the English players did. The players have to take some responsibility too.

England fans such as yourself have been blaming the manager for decades. At some point the penny has to drop that you all overrate the players.

It doesn't matter if some of them are over-rated to an extent. England still have one of the strongest squads in Europe, especially in attack. A lot of Nations aren't what they were at this moment in time. Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Croatia... All pale shadows of many of the teams they've had in the past. Even this Spain team is nowhere near as strong as it was 10 years ago.

Southgate is a Championship (at best) level manager. We've made finals and semi-finals despite of him, not because of. Of course people will point a finger at him, he's a manager that was bad enough to get relegated with Middlesbrough before being given the England job. He has absolutely no idea how to handle the likes of Foden and Bellingham, these players are way too big for him. They go from the genius of Guardiola and Ancelotti every week to Gareth Southgate.

I also couldn't care less if England couldn't play the way Spain do. It's not the only way to win football games. But it was actually the first game in the tournament where England didn't have more possession than the opposition. Southgate also takes some of the blame for that by not selecting the right players in the final. Wharton and Palmer would have certainly helped us keep the ball better, as would Grealish who was sat at home.

Mind you, weren't you also on the Scholes/Gerrard/Lampard thread saying all of them were completely over-rated? Perhaps I'm wrong, but you seem to have some sort of weird agenda with English players from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans