Eric Abidal

Chainsaw

Killahead
[size=+1]Barça reaches amicable agreement with Abidal[/size]

1369237761_extras_noticia_foton_7_0.jpg

Barcelona and Abidal have reached an amicable agreement to settle the player's immediate future after a meeting held on Tuesday. Josep María Bartomeu, the vice-president, Andoni Zubizarreta, the director of football, David Venditelli, the player's agent, and Abidal held a meeting during which the club stated its intentions and the player expressed his desire to keep playing.

The two parties have agreed to hold a joint press conference next week to explain the outcome, but it looks highly likely that Abidal will not form part of the first team next season.

Barcelona had previously offered him the possibility of taking on an ambassadorial role at the club. However, Abidal has made it clear that he wants to remain on the field of play for as long as his health permits. If the defender decides to leave, he will go on a free transfer, given that his contract expires in June.

JamDav1982

Shame he is leaving but can completely understand the decision not to give him a playing contract.

The classiest defender I have ever seen live he was utter class.

barcaboy15

Haven't posted here for so long but had to after seeing this! WTF is wrong with Barcelona nowadays? Not offering Abidal a new contract is shameful - especially after all that shit about how they stuck by him etc etc, then he has a miraculous return (and is actually our best defender for the games he played!) and the club doesn't have the respect to offer him another year or so!?

Mes Que Un Club indeed...

JamDav1982

Haven't posted here for so long but had to after seeing this! WTF is wrong with Barcelona nowadays? Not offering Abidal a new contract is shameful - especially after all that shit about how they stuck by him etc etc, then he has a miraculous return (and is actually our best defender for the games he played!) and the club doesn't have the respect to offer him another year or so!?

Mes Que Un Club indeed...

In his last game he had to come off at half time.

The idea that he could maintain his previous level was obviously not held by the club. They have treated Abidal fantastically well and gave him a new contract after he was diagnosed with cancer.

The club have nothing at all to feel bad about on this.

archimidis

Why people claim that it is a shame he leaves? Barca stood by his side all the time he had problems with his health and the surgeries he did. Furthermore, the doctors of the club have stated that it is best for his health to quit football. On the other hand, and what is unfortunate is that this decision of us may also have to do with Abidal's wages.. Nevertheless, it is his decision to continue playing football, when the doctors have the opposite opinion. I personally would like for him to continue being in our team, whatever the post, and I hope that he will be back the moment he retires as our ambassador.

XaviMessiGirl

When this rumor first popped up I was enraged just like most other people here, but what if it's partly his idea? I think it's pretty clear that even if he stayed here, he wouldn't get a whole lot of playing time. We have Alba now & Adriano just renewed his contract too. Maybe he wants to go somewhere that he could play more, who knows.

I hate a lot of what Rosell has done to this club but a lot of times we tend to jump to conclusions that something is all his fault.

When this rumor first popped up I was enraged just like most other people here, but what if it's partly his idea? I think it's pretty clear that even if he stayed here, he wouldn't get a whole lot of playing time. We have Alba now & Adriano just renewed his contract too. Maybe he wants to go somewhere that he could play more, who knows.

I hate a lot of what Rosell has done to this club but a lot of times we tend to jump to conclusions that something is all his fault.

Yup. I can see why we're probably letting Abidal go.

F

Flavia

Yes. Abi wouldn't have much playing time in Barça, anyway. I just hope he comes back after retiring.

Home of Barca Fans