Erling Haaland

Morten

I always saw Haaland as the complete striker package, and a better, more all around option of the two. Scores for fun, and can work against any kind of opponent. Someone you can really build your attack and even team around. Plus his big and strong appearance makes him the perfect face of a new, up and coming project for any team. While Mbappe tends to get pretty exposed in a non counter attacking team, because speed is still his biggest asset. By that logic he's exactly someone we should steer clear of, especially under Xavi, where players will be bought to suit the system, not the other way around.

I realize Haaland isn't exactly tailor made for us either, but like I said, I see him thrive against, but even more importantly IN any kind of team right now, as he's just a scoring machine! His speed and long legs make him lethal on the counter, while against a deep block he can punish you in the air, if nothing else works. He can transform any attack and give it that extra danger, so opponents really won't know what hit them when they come up against an attack with him and two speedy/tricky wingers in it.

Interesting take, cause i think most will say that Mbappe is the better all around player of the two.

Haaland is a better finisher, but it gets somewhat overlooked that Mbappe is very good at setting up goals, not just scoring them.
Of course he is better with space to operate in, but that much is true for almost everyone.

Haaland could become more versatile if he improves in the air though, like you've said, and he probably will.

Last edited:

fergus90

Interesting take, cause i think most will say that Mbappe is the better all around player of the two.

Haaland is a better finisher, but it gets somewhat overlooked that Mbappe is very good at setting up goals, not just scoring them.
Of course he is better with space to operate in, but that much is true for almost everyone.

Haaland could become more versatile if he improves in the air though, like you've said, and he probably will.

To be fair Haaland has improved immensely in the air this season. Already got a fair few headed goals.

slicknick

Agreed, and yes Haaland already is showing marked improvement in the sir so far this season...

I also think they are very close, though I also think Mbappe somehow has a higher ceiling/room for improvement than Haaland, but hey, we wouldn't know now, right? Let's all wait and see, but with the current evidence, they both have what it takes to dominate the sport over the next decade or so

JamDav1982

Will never want to play with a team based on geriatrics.

Imagine playing for Barca where players have to amend their roles to players that cant run. Pique protects himself at CB, Busi hides/dives and slows game down to his pace rather than break and team sits deep asking the GK to be the quarter back as players defer to him.

A back four and DM that of 4/5th got dicked in CL 9 years ago is in place and dictating too much of tactics.

Cant see him anywhere near Barca when watching these games even if could afford him.

Blackened

Haaland would be such a good fit for Liverpool. Having him as a centre-forward and Salah and Mane on the wings... With his pace, strength and energy, he would be such a fit to Klopps gegenpressing.

JamDav1982

Liverpool would have to change the way their front three play completely.

They wouldnt sign Haaland to play in way Firmino/Jota do to be foil for the wide players being main attacking threat.

Zidane82

Ah so Haaland maybe possibly after all !!

The striker has a reported transfer release clause in his contract of 68million that becomes active in this summer.

Dortmund will be powerless to stop him leaving if, and when, a team decides to meet that figure.

Barcilliant

I'd like him here but he would be so frustrated having to play with dinosaurs like Pique and Busquets.
If you buy Haaland you have to build the team around him.

Home of Barca Fans