Ernesto Valverde - V1

JamDav1982

Good lord it gets worse.

Barca defence is better this season. Simple.

Completely ignoring the GK Barca are facing less shots on target and less from inside area.

That and Ter Stegen improving and hey presto... improved goals against.

Joan

It's possible that either MAtS suddenly became hundred times better at keeping or that it has something to do with the lines in front of him.

He has improved but it's not that huge a change.

I don't understand what's your point, MessiCam. You think our defense has not improved and that's it's all due to MAtS?

M

MessiCam

It's possible that either MAtS suddenly became hundred times better at keeping or that it has something to do with the lines in front of him.

He has improved but it's not that huge a change.

I don't understand what's your point, MessiCam. You think our defense has not improved and that's it's all due to MAtS?

My point is that Valverde has improved the defense in certain aspects while weakening others. In my opinion defense can’t only be considered goals conceded and blocks because it completely ignores goalkeeper performance... That Valverde’s Barça concedes more shots and that these shots carry a higher probability of being scored is a defensive weakness in its own right.

And yes MAtS has been in God mode this season and it’s not just the high quality saves of which there have been plenty. It’s the interceptions and clearances too. He is making twice the amount of clearances than he did last year. His level has gone up significantly and I’d now place him in the top echelon of goalkeepers currently playing.

He thinks xGA tells you which team concede the most clear cut chances.
No I don’t. I’m well aware of what the xG’s are. It’s the quality of the chances conceded or fashioned and not most clear cut.

None of it is ignorance.

Yes it is. Because you’re dismissive of a particular parameter due to insufficient knowledge thereof.

Ignorance is using a stat to prove yourself correct, then realising that stat proves the opposite and then going on to chase any other stat that fits.
No. That’s making a mistake which I’ve accepted and apologised for. Time to move on.

You cant answer any questions on what xGA actually shows and just go looking for next stat that fits.
Yes I can. I won’t stink up the thread by posting 31 games worth of illustrations though. And I’m not chasing stats they’re there for everyone to see. I was responding to [MENTION=17987]LeeRomeno[/MENTION]’s post about this supposed defensive behemoth.

The fact you think that Pep style football this year at City and with Bayern provides the strongest defence due to xGA is about as ignorant as it gets.
Nope! Here you go making shit up AGAIN... You can’t help yourself can you? The reason why I think they’re better defensively is because they see way more of the ball and use their attacking prowess as a defensive tool while still conceding very few goals.

xGA says Peps Bayern had best defence going.
And it would be correct because they actually conceded a similar amount of goals in that specific league. And yes, xG’s are adjusted for the quality of leagues and competitions. It’s a quantitative model that gives additional insight beyond just shots. Not all shots are created equal.

xGA says Barca last season had best defence in top three leagues.
No it does not. Stop lying! Put up the numbers or shut up...

xGA says that Arsenal have had one of best two defences in EPL in two of three previous seasons to this.
And it would be correct because they conceded similar to their xGA. 2nd least conceded in both those seasons. So what’s your point?

JamDav1982

Haha ffs not it would not be correct in claiming Peps Bayern had best defence in europe in his time there. Think that was fairly obvious from the CL.

No it would not be correct in saying Arsenal were one of top defences either.

The fact you follow it so blindly says it all.

You pick and choose stats as proven by following stats to make a point and then moving on to others when you were wrong.

xGA is a massively flawed stat.

Just you keep telling yourself that Pep has the best defensive system for Bayern and now City..

Claim that Barca are conceding around half the number of goals of last season because TS is saving 5% more shots.

Nothing to do with fact he is having to make around 27% less saves is it?

Adjust his goals last season for an improved 5% of saves and see what number you get.

You dont understand how teams defend clearly.

My point is that Valverde has improved the defense in certain aspects while weakening others. In my opinion defense can’t only be considered goals conceded and blocks because it completely ignores goalkeeper performance... That Valverde’s Barça concedes more shots and that these shots carry a higher probability of being scored is a defensive weakness in its own right.

And yes MAtS has been in God mode this season and it’s not just the high quality saves of which there have been plenty. It’s the interceptions and clearances too. He is making twice the amount of clearances than he did last year. His level has gone up significantly and I’d now place him in the top echelon of goalkeepers currently playing.

Ter Stegen is making around 27% less saves and has improved his % of saves to by under 5% going by your numbers.

It is clear as day what the biggest factor in the improved defensive stats are.

Then again you hold up Peps Bayern and City as models of 'best defence in world' based on the xGA....

Last edited:

serghei

Yea, defense is better even if it seems like we're just hanging in there a lot of times. Looks chaotic at times, true, but I bet Valverde has set some pretty clear rules and has the defense more organized than it might seem for moments in a game.

M

MessiCam

Haha ffs not it would not be correct in claiming Peps Bayern had best defence in europe in his time there. Think that was fairly obvious from the CL.

No it would not be correct in saying Arsenal were one of top defences either.

The fact you follow it so blindly says it all.

You pick and choose stats as proven by following stats to make a point and then moving on to others when you were wrong.
The Champions League carries a different xG weight you can’t mix and match as you see fit. So put up the numbers or shut up like I said.

And I don’t follow it blindly. I’m just not dismissive of things that don’t assist my point. If you have a model that better quantifies chance quality other than “looks exposed” I’d be more than happy to listen to you. I’m not immune to being wrong and I can accept that but when it comes to something as subjective as defense you’re going to have to put up an argument that convinces me otherwise and not just jibber jabber. That’s why I quite liked what [MENTION=17987]LeeRomeno[/MENTION] had to say because he laid out his thought process in a legible manner.

JamDav1982

The Champions League carries a different xG weight you can’t mix and match as you see fit. So put up the numbers or shut up like I said.

And I don’t follow it blindly. I’m just not dismissive of things that don’t assist my point. If you have a model that better quantifies chance quality other than “looks exposed” I’d be more than happy to listen to you. I’m not immune to being wrong and I can accept that but when it comes to something as subjective as defense you’re going to have to put up an argument that convinces me otherwise and not just jibber jabber. That’s why I quite liked what [MENTION=17987]LeeRomeno[/MENTION] had to say because he laid out his thought process in a legible manner.

Haha the question asked was who had the best defence in Europe and you based it on domestic xGA... so shut up.

Peps Bayern and City was your claim.....CL says maybe not.

Your stats say TS is saving under 5% more shots but Barca have decreased number of goals conceded by not far off half in the league..doesnt add up.

The defence however is meaning TS is making around 27% less saves than last season.

Easy peasy to see why defensive record has improved.

Easily give you a model to see if a defence has improved.... shots on target against and goals conceded.

Devils

Getting proper mangled by Roma this guy.

Wtf was he smoking today? Never seen a team look so unprepared in a CL QF.

Home of Barca Fans