Ernesto Valverde - V1

serghei

Pep and Klopp are several levels above Valverde as managers.

So I don't think we even should expect fireworks.

There are others who are better too. I wouldn't even say Valverde is a better manager than Marcelino for example.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
There are others who are better too. I wouldn't even say Valverde is a better manager than Marcelino for example.

The problem we face is that there are no proven managers available. I don't think Valverde will renew his contract, regardless of what happens this season. The club would be dumb to even entertain that thought unless we see a major improvement in our play and in the CL.

serghei

The problem we face is that there are no proven managers available. I don't think Valverde will renew his contract, regardless of what happens this season. The club would be dumb to even entertain that thought unless we see a major improvement in our play and in the CL.

We won't see any improvement man. The tactics are too generic and bad at a very deep level. He'd have to be a completely different person to change anything at this point. The only good part is that we can maybe grind out wins in La Liga and win it again and have a pretty good season while playing like crap mostly.

One thing I'd give Valverde, he's pretty good at clinching points from crap games. Too bad this shit doesn't stick in CL. If we didn't have a team that is capable of playing so much better under a great manager, I wouldn't blame Valverde for being such a pussy.

I mean, it's totally fine to play like that at most teams, but it's such a waste to do it at Barcelona with probably the most expensive and talented squad in the world - up there with City's probably.

Last edited:

DonAK

We won't see any improvement man. The tactics are too generic and bad at a very deep level. He'd have to be a completely different person to change anything at this point. The only good part is that we can maybe grind out wins in La Liga and win it again and have a pretty good season while playing like crap mostly.

One thing I'd give Valverde, he's pretty good at clinching points from crap games. Too bad this shit doesn't stick in CL.

We're not favorites for the CL anyway. Far from it. We were very, very lucky at Stamford Bridge last season and the game at Stadio Olimpico exposed this team and Valverde. Some of the blame you gotta give the players, but the manager plays a big, a very big part in such things too.

As long as Liverpool and Man City don't suffer major injuries or meet each other those two teams are primed to make it to the CL final. I also believe Atletico are going to be a handful this season with a better first XI + depth.

For me watching their teams play and previous history I would put the top three favorites as Liverpool, Atletico and Man City.

FC B

Team was looking more fluid in the first half. The pitch was a disaster.

The guy really should stop trying to defend leads like this though, especially so early as in the 70th minute. You'd rather have that pace and those attacking players there to threaten the opposition instead of trying to grind out the win which history have shown isn't too kind to this current team.

Exactly but he is too much of a coward and a small club coach to think and act like that at Barcelona.

serghei

We're not favorites for the CL anyway. Far from it. We were very, very lucky at Stamford Bridge last season and the game at Stadio Olimpico exposed this team and Valverde. Some of the blame you gotta give the players, but the manager plays a big, a very big part in such things too.

As long as Liverpool and Man City don't suffer major injuries or meet each other those two teams are primed to make it to the CL final. I also believe Atletico are going to be a handful this season with a better first XI + depth.

For me watching their teams play and previous history I would put the top three favorites as Liverpool, Atletico and Man City.

We've been very very lucky in both games vs Chelsea, or else Valverde would've been exposed even sooner. Conte schooled him as well, which is no surprise as Conte is yet another manager who is a level above Valverde.

DonAK

We've been very very lucky in both games vs Chelsea, or else Valverde would've been exposed even sooner.

Let's even entertain the thought of the players playing with intensity in the CL this season.

How much will it work? At the end of the day the superior tactical game plan will still beat you out unless the players are shitting bricks in front of goal.

I actually hope we get a strong group stage draw this season. Not because I want Barca's road to get to the R16 difficult or for them to drop out, but because this team and manager need a fucking wake up call so something can be changed before it's too late.

DonAK

Also while we're talking about Quique Setien then sure he plays good football and all that, but we also need someone with authority and as cliché as it might be, an alpha in the dressing room.

A manager that is not scared of any player and would drop players that are't performing. Valverde definitely isn't that and I doubt Setien is that too.

Stoichkov1

Pep and Klopp are several levels above Valverde as managers.

So I don't think we even should expect fireworks. This is probably Valverde's first and last big job anyway. He's going to back to his Athletic Bilbaos or Olympiacos once he's finished here.

If he wins the league this year and Barca will get knocked out by teams like Juve or Bayern or City or Madrid his tenure will be considered successful and plenty of clubs will call him.

serghei

If he wins the league this year and Barca will get knocked out by teams like Juve or Bayern or City or Madrid his tenure will be considered successful and plenty of clubs will call him.

Yea, not too sure about that. How many clubs have 800m. worth of players? Pretty sure those that do don't need Ernie.

He'll probably be as sought after as Pellegrini is right now. And Pellegrini is a better manager btw.

God Serena

Let's even entertain the thought of the players playing with intensity in the CL this season.

How much will it work? At the end of the day the superior tactical game plan will still beat you out unless the players are shitting bricks in front of goal.

I actually hope we get a strong group stage draw this season. Not because I want Barca's road to get to the R16 difficult or for them to drop out, but because this team and manager need a fucking wake up call so something can be changed before it's too late.

Would it be too much to dream for Valverde to get exposed so badly in the group stages that the board sacks him before we drop out?

Real Madrid dropped their manager when he was out of his depth and they went from a joke to winning the CL in half a season. We could easily do that, too, but not if we're barely scraping by wins against bottom tier opponents while desperately defending the lead.

DonAK

Like which clubs? None of the top teams will call him.

Lucho said he wanted to coach in England and ended up with Spanish NT job instead when neither Chelsea or Arsenal came calling. And he wouldn't even have gotten that one had Lopetegui not fucked up.

Unai Emery has a better resumé than EV if we remove last season and people make fun of him around here, and he's managing the 6th best club in England.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Also while we're talking about Quique Setien then sure he plays good football and all that, but we also need someone with authority and as cliché as it might be, an alpha in the dressing room.

A manager that is not scared of any player and would drop players that are't performing. Valverde definitely isn't that and I doubt Setien is that too.

Look no further than your avatar :D

Home of Barca Fans