Ernesto Valverde - V1

Laplacian

Are we done with the 4-3-3, clearly Messi is not interested in being played as RW and Suarez won’t be dropped for Coutinho/Dembele - Messi - Malcom attacking trio. So, what is it?

A disjointed 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1?

Also ffs stop subbing out Demeble, he was out there making things happen and gave us speed on the counter, nope, he subbed him out for Vidal in order to plug close the right wing but that didn’t do shit, doesn’t change the fact that when Roberto is pressed he gets exposed for being a lilability in defense and no Vidal can change that.

the thing that annoys me about that is "wow messi can't play there cause he doesnt have his pace anymore", then he starts sprinting and taking on defenders and I'm instantly reminded the guy still has it. So it's not a lack of physical ability, he just wants to play as a midfield playmaker as opposed to a forward now.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Messi's positioning in the first half was fine. He played as a RW and did cut in. It was a narrow forward line.

Playing as a RW doesn't mean he's going to hug the touchline. That works with FBs that tuck in, but both Roberto and Alba play out wide.

Icarium

Lifestealer
I would like to add more points in what went wrong. But my eyes are closing more often than I want them to. It is 4:00 am here. All in all I am content with the 3 points. Valverde did what I expected him to. He is not cut out for this. That much is clear.

serghei

Messi's positioning in the first half was fine. He played as a RW and did cut in. It was a narrow forward line.

Problem was that Rakitic played very wide. So did Coutinho very often. There is no midfield trio. Both midfielders are detached wide where most balls are directed simply because it's where the opponents leave more space.

So, we basically face a team that blocks the central areas, at the expense of leaving more space wide. Most great managers who build great attacking teams would use pressing, and movement as to cause breaks inside that seemingly solid central defensive blocks. Most simple, uninspiring, bland managers, take the offered wide space and use their skilled players to try to work something out.

Needless to say which managers generate space and play where they want to play, and which managers take what is offered to them.

Today, we played how Valladolid wanted us to play, but we still beat them, with luck. But when a competent team will offer us routes to attack them wide, you better be sure they will know how to stop us.

We will lose in CL. No doubt in my mind.

Last edited:

DonAK

Problem was that Rakitic played very wide. So did Coutinho very often. There is no midfield trio. Both midfielders are detached wide where most balls are directed simply because it's where the opponents leave more space.

We play wide way too soon. Almost in a robotic way.

That's up to the coach and his tactics.

Messi has showed the first two games he's willing to play as a RW, how to make that + the midfield work is up to the manager.

I don't think Valverde is the man for positional play. He likes the players' individualism to create space and plays.

viper76

Without a doubt he is the worst manager ever in barca history.
The man is just clueless and have no plan no tactics and plays the same lineup and make the same charges and never learn from his mistakes.

We have no chance winning the CL or even dream of it as long as this mid table manager is in charge.

FC B

Should have acted in the heat of the moment and sacked him post Roma. We had few things to lose. Title was in the bag. We had enough time to start serious talks with more ambitious managers for the summer. Guys like Sarri, Tuchel etc.

Farto is the second biggest coward in the club, after Fraudverde, ofc.

Devils

Hard pressing, aggressive and physical team in the CL.

Will bump this post after that match occurs later on in the season.

Givenchy

the club have fucked up with our signings...

Coutinho - 140mil, we want him to play in midfield but its obvious from his time at Barca hes best at LW (LW although Fraudverde likes him at RW)
Dembele - 120mil, another winger, young and needs time to adjust (preferebly RW)
Messi has to play ofcourse but so also does Suarez, both are undroppable meaning we are either forced to drop one of Coutinho/Dembele and play Messi at RW (many are against this) or move to a shit fucking 442 EV special.

on the surface and on paper the team looks amazing but functionality is a problem and i haven't even mentioned Malcom and where the hell he fits in here. it seems the board and EV have no idea what were actually doing, buying big names and trying to shoehorn them into a lineup. if they still chase Rabiot.. i have no words left

serghei

Coutinho in that type of midfield is an enormous waste. Coutinho in a De Bruyne role in a midfield like City's for example, or even at Liverpool where he played AM very well under Klopp (Coutinho was playing behind Mane - Firmino - Salah) is a beast.

I guess it's time to realise that playing as a midfielder for the likes of Pep, Klopp, Sarri, and playing in midfield for the likes of Valverde are the different things.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Coutinho in that type of midfield is an enormous waste. Coutinho in a De Bruyne role in a midfield like City's for example, or even at Liverpool where he played AM very well under Klopp is a beast.

He just looked confused to me especially in the second half. Its like he had no instructions on what to do. At this rate , might as well play him LW and let him work his magic from there. Because Coutinho is the type of talent that can imo easily adapt to that CAM role especially with proper instructions.

wisconsincule

It’s obvious what’s going to happen. We’ll challenge for the league, Copa Del Rey and get bounced in the champions league again in the quarters. It’s such a damn shame too because we have a team that could seriously push for the semis or further this year.

DonAK

Coutinho in that type of midfield is an enormous waste. Coutinho in a De Bruyne role in a midfield like City's for example, or even at Liverpool where he played AM very well under Klopp (Coutinho was playing behind Mane - Firmino - Salah) is a beast.

I guess it's time to realise that playing as a midfielder for the likes of Pep, Klopp, Sarri, and playing in midfield for the likes of Valverde are the different things.

Pep and Klopp are several levels above Valverde as managers.

So I don't think we even should expect fireworks. This is probably Valverde's first and last big job anyway. He's going to back to his Athletic Bilbaos or Olympiacos once he's finished here.

Home of Barca Fans