Ernesto Valverde

jamrock

Yep 2019 should have been a cake walk to the final, but valverde stupid tactics fucked us.

Unforgivable, he was way too negative

In both years.

Then the freaking midfield he started at anfield when he saw what Liverpool were doing to us down the wings in the first leg.

I'm not saying the players are blame less, but he fucked up big time

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

The toxicity he had to face from the fan base was utterly shameful. He is well known to be one of the nicest guys in football. Maybe too nice for his own good.

I will remember him for when he put his own neck on the line when he had a go at the Camp Nou for booing Andre Gomes. He also left plenty of his money on the table when he left the club despite all the abuse he took.

Top top fella who I will always wish the best.

JamDav1982

EV wasnt negative in either tie.

Same shite that has been claimed for years but not true.... Look at team he picked and name one more attacking player he could have played v Liverpoool.. watch what he was telling them before game and HT to try and get forward and score goals.

Nice narrative but a load of nonsense.

If anything were too open as he pushed for away goals and defence made too many errors and attacking players failed to produce.

As if starting Arthur ahead of Rakitic or Coutinho is some kind of more attacking move.. Arthur could barely pass ball forward.

soul24rage

You must know Soul dude its always easy to say those things after the match, for example in el clasico Xavi changed and we criticised him for that. At ht the score was 0-1, still very good in Anfield considering we had also a few good chances in first half...
I agree that it is easy to say those things after the match, but it doesn't take much to know what Liverpool were gonna do in the 2nd half with the way Klopp plays, especially in Anfield.

soul24rage

Yep 2019 should have been a cake walk to the final, but valverde stupid tactics fucked us.

Unforgivable, he was way too negative

In both years.

Then the freaking midfield he started at anfield when he saw what Liverpool were doing to us down the wings in the first leg.

I'm not saying the players are blame less, but he fucked up big time
He wasn't negative in both matches, he just couldn't read the 2 games correctly.

The Roma game, we couldn't get out of Roma's press with the front 2 of Suarez and Messi not providing pace at all and EV had the brilliant idea of subbing in Gomes instead of someone like Dembele. This is the biggest screw up that really affected the player's mentality vs Liverpool.

JohnN

we were one of the top teams at the time. but, we were surely not better than Liverpool.
The 3-0 was absolutely due to messi and suarez.
all ev and the team needed to do is play at their best and don't conced 4 goals in the return leg. way lesser teams with way lesser players did it against a full squad Liverpool.
A good tactician would pull that off with a way worse squad than ours. fault for me mostly on EV for that game. Of course the players sucked balls too.

delancey

His brand of football was extremely boring to watch, and I even avoided watching league football under him for that very reason. Funny how ppl forget! But we were also organized and looked like a team that could threaten anyone. Compared to Xavi, Valverde is a GOAT manager. It’s all relative! 🤷‍♂️

Messigician

we were one of the top teams at the time. but, we were surely not better than Liverpool.
all ev and the team needed to do is play at their best and don't conced 4 goals in the return leg. way lesser teams with way lesser players did it against a full squad Liverpool.
A good tactician would pull that off with a way worse squad than ours. fault for me mostly on EV for that game. Of course the players sucked balls too.
Bro even Messi came out and said it was the players who messed up not the coach

He’s never done that for any coach not even Pep

Maybe Messi knows a thing or two about football just saying…

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Werent alba and raki were clowns for the first two goals? You dont win those matches with mental weak players. Even City lost several times against small teams in cl and that with the legendary bald Pep!

Morten

His brand of football was extremely boring to watch, and I even avoided watching league football under him for that very reason. Funny how ppl forget! But we were also organized and looked like a team that could threaten anyone. Compared to Xavi, Valverde is a GOAT manager. It’s all relative! 🤷‍♂️

How was it "boring", when you lead all the scoring and chance statistics(probably) for the 2,5 seasons he was there?

Now sure, goals scored and chances created doesn't say everything, but you for sure can't disregard it either.

delancey

How was it "boring", when you lead all the scoring and chance statistics(probably) for the 2,5 seasons he was there?

Now sure, goals scored and chances created doesn't say everything, but you for sure can't disregard it either.
I wouldn’t say that there necessarily is a correlation between chances created and playing entertaining football. Both can exist independent of one another; sometimes they overlap. In other words, correlation without causation, perhaps?

One must also remember that we had Messi and Suarez back then. If we had excluded them from the squad, what would the statistics have illustrated?

I think he is a very good manager. I just didn’t enjoy watching his brand of football (relative to that from other top managers). But a good manager he is, for sure. So is Mourinho!

bismp

It is also a fact that EV had the most favorable La Liga environment in more than a decade.

Don’t start about 2017/18 Real Madrid etc, they obviously did not give a damn about La Liga at that point.

The truth is that in both his full seasons, the second best team finished with less than 80 points, while in 2010-2017 the runner-up typically had around 90 points.

I am not even sure if the 2017/18 Barca would reach 93 points if they had a focused Real on their trail, maybe they would choke in La Liga too.

In any case, basing success on points won without taking into account the football played and the type of opposition makes no sense, otherwise 2012/13 Barca would be the GOAT La Liga team.

vegitot

Messi obviously carried the team and played god level. But EV did build the team around Messi, in order to help Messi the best.

EV should have done better in Rome and Anfield. Though Anfield it is more players fault than him. Most of the team collapsed because of Anfield (bar Messi and Vidal). The team had like 3-4 chances to finish Liverpool but could not.

EV is a good coach overall.

Move on.

serghei

True.

We were not better than Liverpool, but in the return leg, that was not full-strenght Liverpool. It was a Liverpool with Origi and Shaqiri starting in the attack. Without their best player Salah, and their strarting 9 Firmino. To lose 0-4 to that side the way we did...

Home of Barca Fans