Euro 2024

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maradona37

ah ok, Italy would be very tough
Maybe not on paper as this Italy isn't the Italy of old in player quality (though I like Barella and a few others), but Italy sometimes find a way in tournaments.

Tonight we will find out who get Switzerland in the round of 16 though. It will be one of Croatia, Italy or Albania. If Italy get a draw it's definitely them. If Croatia defeat Italy it's Croatia. If Croatia and Albania both win (unlikely) it's likely Albania on goal difference.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Yeah, confusing stuff with a lot of permutations

Depending on the standings on the 3rd place team and depending on which group they come in. My head hurts just looking at the table.

what a stupid table but yeah looks like Italy/Croatia has a high chance to become Portugal's opponent in R16, then i cant hope for Crotia today...

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Maybe not on paper as this Italy isn't the Italy of old in player quality (though I like Barella and a few others), but Italy sometimes find a way in tournaments.

Tonight we will find out who get Switzerland in the round of 16 though. It will be one of Croatia, Italy or Albania. If Italy get a draw it's definitely them. If Croatia defeat Italy it's Croatia. If Croatia and Albania both win (unlikely) it's likely Albania on goal difference.

Would love to see Albania in R16 but very very small chance :lol:

I dont like Italy, especially Spaletti would be on fire against Portugal, really want to avoid them

also it costs a lot of energy to have in every round a top team as opponent

Maradona37

Would love to see Albania in R16 but very very small chance :lol:

I dont like Italy, especially Spaletti would be on fire against Portugal, really want to avoid them

also it costs a lot of energy to have in every round a top team as opponent
Yeah true, there aren't enough top teams to go around. Less is more and quality over quantity - the Euros were perfect as a 16 team tournament, both in terms of player strength and format (no third place qualifiers). I still enjoy this format though.

It would be brilliant if Albania could do it. I mean I like Italy and Croatia but seeing the underdog make it would be awesome.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Yeah true, there aren't enough top teams to go around. Less is more and quality over quantity - the Euros were perfect as a 16 team tournament, both in terms of player strength and format (no third place qualifiers). I still enjoy this format though.

It would be brilliant if Albania could do it. I mean I like Italy and Croatia but seeing the underdog make it would be awesome.

Spain will rest players so there is a chance for Albania....

Maradona37

Spain will rest players so there is a chance for Albania....
True, They will realistically finish second if they beat Spain and Croatia beat Italy, unless Croatia give Italy a hammering which is highly unlikely. If Italy get something though Albania would have to settle for third. Though with four points they'd already be above Hungary in the third-place rankings and very likely to qualify for the round of 16.

Morten

Since most matches are late, its not too big of a deal, but i wouldn't mind if these tournaments started a couple of weeks later, most people don't have vacation in June, they have it in July.

Heck, probably would have better viewership too, but i'm sure they have their reasons.

Just a thought i had.

Maradona37

Since most matches are late, its not too big of a deal, but i wouldn't mind if these tournaments started a couple of weeks later, most people don't have vacation in June, they have it in July.

Heck, probably would have better viewership too, but i'm sure they have their reasons.

Just a thought i had.
Probably not possible though as they have to fit in pre-season and tours before the season kicks off in August. That's the consequence of far too much football.

Maradona37

That and July is also the hottest month usually. Playing every 3 days with 30+ degrees doesn't sound very motivating.
That's a good point too.

The truth is there's just far too much football now. Like I said about the 16 team Euros pre the expansion, sometimes less is more. They're adding new stuff all the time - bigger World Cups, expanded Champions League and Club World Cup. It's too much and too taxing on the players. The demands are terrible even if they do try doing things to mitigate the workload eg 5 subs.

In all honesty I think 5 subs often ruins the rhythm and flow of a game, but with so many games I would keep them. My solution would be to reduce the number of games and subs to what it was like before. But I think the genie is well out of the bottle there.

Morten

Probably not possible though as they have to fit in pre-season and tours before the season kicks off in August. That's the consequence of far too much football.

Well, they screwed up the entire schedule for a world cup in a country that nobody cares about, and few complained.

I'm sure they could start Euros a few weeks later, if they really wanted.

Home of Barca Fans