Euro 2024

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rory

Anyone think there will be an upset or two? Slovakia? Romania? Denmark? Belgium (if you can call that an upset)?
Denmark/Belgium have every chance. Don't think Slovakia are strong enough tbh. Also think it's possible Southgate has learned a few lessons from the group and won't be fielding a ridiculous lineup of players who all want to play in similar positions.

Maradona37

Denmark/Belgium have every chance. Don't think Slovakia are strong enough tbh. Also think it's possible Southgate has learned a few lessons from the group and won't be fielding a ridiculous lineup of players who all want to play in similar positions.
They do. Germany have been good so far but Denmark are solid enough defensively. France have underwhelmed so you never know, as Belgium can score at any moment with some De Bruyne or Doku magic.

I agree. I think England might put in a good performance this game (hope I am wrong as I am Scottish lol).

Maradona37

Playing the fantasy game on uefa.com, doing much better in the predictor. However, we have a wildcard (unlimited transfers), budget of 105 million euros and four players per team max. I have gone with this from who I think might do well in R16. I have tried to spread around in case any shocks happen, particularly as I have used both chips and will have to pay for transfers in following rounds if a lot of my players are eliminated.

Here's what I have, can make unlimited changes til 5 pm tomorrow.

Attachments

• Transfers.jpg
    Transfers.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 9

Loki

Anyone think there will be an upset or two? Slovakia? Romania? Denmark? Belgium (if you can call that an upset)?
Switzerland can be the only country winning against a stronger opponent on paper in my opinion, as they looked decent and Italy not really. Netherlands and England looking weak too, but Romania/Slowakia didn't show anything special aside from the first game where Ukraine was overwhelmed and Belgium just sucked.
So if there's a surprise, I expect it to be Switzerland.
The interesting matches should start in the quaters, like always in Euros, so nothing lost here.

Maradona37

Switzerland can be the only country winning against a stronger opponent on paper in my opinion, as they looked decent and Italy not really. Netherlands and England looking weak too, but Romania/Slowakia didn't show anything special aside from the first game where Ukraine was overwhelmed and Belgium just sucked.
So if there's a surprise, I expect it to be Switzerland.
The interesting matches should start in the quaters, like always in Euros, so nothing lost here.
Yeah I tend to agree with most of what you say, though other upsets would be cool to see, but maybe make the quarters less interesting as small teams cannot sustain upsets for long.

What do you think of my bracket above? I think Austria can beat England if that match transpires, but I would not be extremely confident about it. Hence, I erred on the side of caution and went with the team with the better players on paper and more recent good results in tournaments.

Loki

What do you think of my bracket above? I think Austria can beat England if that match transpires, but I would not be extremely confident about it. Hence, I erred on the side of caution and went with the team with the better players on paper and more recent good results in tournaments.
I would mostly agree, but switch Spain for Germany. I somehow don't see Germany leaving the tie as the winners. Of course it can happen, as in one game anything can happen, but Spain showed for me the most impressive performance so far, even with their b side, while Germany tanked against switzerland.

Maradona37

I would mostly agree, but switch Spain for Germany. I somehow don't see Germany leaving the tie as the winners. Of course it can happen, as in one game anything can happen, but Spain showed for me the most impressive performance so far, even with their b side, while Germany tanked against switzerland.
Yeah true - that was the toughest choice for me. I believe the winner of that game (should they both make it through the R16) will win the tournament.

Spain v Italy and Austria v Netherlands were the most impressive performances of the group stage for me. Might be missing one or two.

Maradona37

yes but i really really really hope England wont reach the final, i dont want to see these fish&chips lovers winning the trophy
Me too, I just am not brave enough to back Austria or Switzerland against them, if they face either at any point. I mean those teams have played better football than England, look better than England...it's simply that the historical teams tend to find a way through against middle-ranked nations in the latter phase of tournaments.

Maybe if those games end up being confirmed I will change my mind.

Home of Barca Fans