Euro 2024

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maradona37

Problem is that once it gets called to VAR and played in slow mo then it was always going to be called a pen.
Exactly. Especially the slow mo point. But it should never have been called to VAR in the first place.

If he had given it on pitch, I wouldn't have expected them to overturn the decision. It's not clear and obvious enough for them to send him to the screen (even if I believe it is not a penalty).

I also agree on making the conversations public (seen your edit mate). It's worse for fans in stadia because unless the big screen informs them, they often don't have a clue what is happening.

Maradona37

Anyway, England were in the ascendancy even before then, but would they have got the goal if the penalty had not been awarded? It's hypothetical and we will never know.

On another night with different officials the penalty isn't awarded, the Dutch remain 1-0 up, and England push all night but cannot equalise, and the Dutch finish the game later on with a counter-attack. Though Koeman would probably still find some way to mess it up.

Rory

it’s just one of those where if the penalty is given to almost any other team it’s universally accepted as a good decision.

He’s gone for the ball studs up, not got the ball but the man kicking it, after he’s finished kicking the ball. He’s decided to enter a 50/50 in the stupidest way. Every player knows if your studs are up and leg raised in a tackle you run the risk of giving away a foul.

Maradona37

His leg is side on though and the ball is gone. I need to watch it again but I am sure he wasn't pushing through Kane with his studs, which if the rules were how I would like them, would make a difference. I wouldn't want that given for a team I was supporting (I know you won't believe me, but it's true). I admit I would be happy, but I would think we'd been fortunate. If I thought it was a pen I would say so, anti-England goggles aside. I have said England deserve penalties before.

Anyway, the main point is, even if you can argue either way - it isn't a clear and obvious decision. It isn't a definite penalty. It's one of them that if the referee gives on the pitch you say fair enough, but if he doesn't then VAR shouldn't intervene.

For what it is worth, I don't like this 'is it clear?' bollocks - if something is a penalty or a sending off or whatever then we should arrive at the correct decision even if it is more ambiguous. He should never be sent to VAR for that with how it is. It can be argued either way, at best.

Happy for the decent guys on here who are English though. Should be a good final.

Horatio

You're welcome
England gifted a penalty? Even neville seems to think so.

Edit: now also turns out saka made hands before kane received ball.

Hmmm…

Birdy

ed548528dd5620807ff95d5dd0f91fb6f3f1daf0.jpg

It's more ambiguous than people are making out.

It's after the shot was taken mate
All the discussion of what kind of contact there was, is irrelevant because of that

Maradona37

If England do win this I want them to do it by outplaying Spain in the final.

Like I said earlier, it just won't feel right if Spain dominate, miss chances, and England spawn it. Happens a lot in football though so who knows.

Jenks

It's after the shot was taken mate
All the discussion of what kind of contact there was, is irrelevant because of that
How so? That's not how the laws of the game work.

I would agree that it's harsh on The Netherlands in the sense that given the way this tournament has been refereed so far you would expect a foul not to be given, but on the other hand if that was anywhere else on the pitch it's a free kick and nobody says a word about it.

Maradona37

How so? That's not how the laws of the game work.

I would agree that it's harsh on The Netherlands in the sense that given the way this tournament has been refereed so far you would expect a foul not to be given, but on the other hand if that was anywhere else on the pitch it's a free kick and nobody says a word about it.
Yeah it's not in the law but it probably should be. If the ball is gone the chance is gone. Though you could argue that Dumfries (with that whey believe is a foul) put Kane off for his initial shot.

As for bold, it's always an awkward debate that, isn't it? Because of how much greater a penalty for a defensive team a penalty is (no pun intended) than a free kick.

Home of Barca Fans