Euro 2024

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Birdy

How so? That's not how the laws of the game work.

I would agree that it's harsh on The Netherlands in the sense that given the way this tournament has been refereed so far you would expect a foul not to be given, but on the other hand if that was anywhere else on the pitch it's a free kick and nobody says a word about it.

I am not sure If that's a foul anywhere else on the pitch.

But even if that's so the rule should ABSOLUTELY change.
It's a SHOT, it's a terminal act, there is nothing Kane could do after that that Dumfries leg stopped
It's common sense, you can totally see it

Maradona37

I am not sure If that's a foul anywhere else on the pitch.

But even if that's so the rule should ABSOLUTELY change.
It's a SHOT, it's a terminal act, there is nothing Kane could do after that that Dumfries leg stopped
It's common sense, you can totally see it
It's a crude analogy, but it's similar to advantage.

With advantage, if you play on and no advantage happens in the first few seconds, another tug of the shirt or something, it is rightly pulled back for the initial foul. But if play on and lose the ball fairly or fuck it up, then rightly the play isn't pulled back, as you had the advantage and fucked it yourself.

This is similar. Why does Kane get a second go at it after fucking up the shot? I know it's not a law but I think it should be that if you fuck up the shot, you don't receive the penalty either. The only mitigating circumstance is Southgate could legitimately argue that Dumfries's challenge (which is adjudged to be a foul) has put Kane off, and made it harder for him to get the shot on target.

Ultimately, trying to develop written laws around something with so much going on like human movement or football team movement is always going to be a losing battle. Too many situations are subjective.

ajnotkeith

It was not a penalty as Saka's pass to Kane was a clear handball.

Absolutely shocking incompetence from VAR in this game. How on earth couldn't they see that, it was directly before the foul?

Morten

I only watched Netherlands twice this tournament, it's possible they were entertaining outside those two matches (France and England) as some people here were saying, but all i saw of them this tournament was a deep sitting side, relying on setpieces and counter attacks.

Not impressed.

companyofcules

I've seen the old english-merengue tactic of claiming the ref is corrupt and will totally rob them, that you paid the reff, that you are evil. So you being robbed will get normalized or the ref will just bow down to not upsetting them. Not to say Spain is not a corrupt country that can influence the refs, they totally are, but for me England was pampered many times in the game.

Rory

I've seen the old english-merengue tactic of claiming the ref is corrupt and will totally rob them, that you paid the reff, that you are evil. So you being robbed will get normalized or the ref will just bow down to not upsetting them. Not to say Spain is not a corrupt country that can influence the refs, they totally are, but for me England was pampered many times in the game.
No it was just pointed out by english media that the referee for the game had previously been involved in match fixing. AND that Jude Bellingham had pointed this out in an interview after a match where he criticised the ref and was subsequently fined.

Absolutely any nation would be talking about this before the game.

companyofcules

Btw not talking about the penalty. The logic is that the ball is in the play, so she might return to Kane. I've seen worse situations, wide shot totally missing the post, bump, penalty. The rule is not stupid, but it's applied by idiots not judges(god forbid the woke judges)

Loki

Yeah, that was the intention. They wanted to create an uneasy situation for the ref and they did it. He obviously feared to disadvantage England, so his name wouldn't be dragged through dirt the whole summer. That lead to a very soft penalty and in general soft decisions favoring England, like their second goal was opened after a "foul", that was just a normal contact between players.
Here is the picture:
GSJ2yNNXkAAAduN
I don't say Netherlands were robbed, but Zwayer was definitely influenced by England's media.

companyofcules

No it was just pointed out by english media that the referee for the game had previously been involved in match fixing. AND that Jude Bellingham had pointed this out in an interview after a match where he criticised the ref and was subsequently fined.

Absolutely any nation would be talking about this before the game.
From my past experiences the whole tabloids and social media sewers will ramble, death threats will apear. Every country does that but few countries have the media impact of England and the plethora of tabloids and rabbid people on the social media.

Rory

From my past experiences the whole tabloids and social media sewers will ramble, death threats will apear. Every country does that but few countries have the media impact of England and the plethora of tabloids and rabbid people on the social media.
The tabloids? The referee isn't from the UK, doesn't live there and isn't refereeing there. You think he's waking up each morning and checking what the sun is saying, or daily mail?

Also the number of rabbid people on social media that hate england far outweighs any rabbid people supporting england.

Horatio

You're welcome
The tabloids? The referee isn't from the UK, doesn't live there and isn't refereeing there. You think he's waking up each morning and checking what the sun is saying, or daily mail?

Also the number of rabbid people on social media that hate england far outweighs any rabbid people supporting england.
Did u know however, this ref was banned 6 months or something for matchfixing years ago?

Siuuu.

Dumfries shouldve sold it as a foul on him and wouldnt have been given.

Anyway congratz man. Hope it’ll be good final. Congrats @fergus90

Rory

Did u know however, this ref was banned 6 months or something for matchfixing years ago?

Siuuu.

Dumfries shouldve sold it as a foul on him and wouldnt have been given.

Anyway congratz man. Hope it’ll be good final. Congrats @fergus90
Yeah because of Jude Bellinghams post-match interview for Dortmund. Plenty of German newspapers/media platforms wrote about it. https://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussba...zahlen-a-107ea5db-13c5-47ec-81b8-44072d05de22

cheers, was actually a good match

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

Call me a conspiracy therapist but I've noticed a bias towards English teams in Uefa competitions, ever since they agreed to pull out of the Super League.

Uefa knows the EPL has all the power and it would be foolish to think they wouldn't pander to it. If the EPL clubs agree to break away, UEFA is essentially finished.

Was never a penalty and towards the end of the game the ref was giving every 50/50 decision to England. ( One of which resulted in the winning goal ).

Hiring a referee who had been convicted for corruption didn't help matters, OR DID IT? 🤔

Home of Barca Fans