Euro 2024

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maradona37

That's an interesting question. It's a little bit of both actually.

But it is quite interesting (and sad) that Tiki-Taka was at its peak in 2011, was still dominant in 2012 and then fell off massively in 2013, not only for Barca but also for Spain. By 2014, it was already dead.
Yeah it burned brightly but briefly.

Its legacy still lives on to this day though, in how teams play. Just with modifications.

JohnN

I keep seeing posts about "Africans" and not native and immigrants and all that. People have been mixing races for thousands of years. It's at least weird to believe that there is such a thing as "purebred" and more so, that the ideal time for reference being 30 years ago...
All German NT is German. All French NT is French. And so on..

Maradona37

I have seen several people start comparing players side by side, to see which team is stronger in which position. This happens before every big game.

The issue is, that football doesn't work like that in the slightest (at least with players who are relatively close in level, as is the case here). So much is dependent on form and - far more importantly - tactics and team chemistry, how teams set up. Even if England have better players generally than Spain (something which I seriously contest as I don't buy EPL hype) Spain are a far better TEAM tactically. Their midfield (where you control games) is much better, and they're clearly a much better team when it comes to positioning, movement, synergy, as not only this tournament but both Spanish and English football historically bear out.

So, in that sense, it matters very little if (to take one comparison) Harry Kane is a much better striker generally than Alvaro Morata (which I agree with as I like Kane as a player). Because so far, he hasn't shown that, and he appears to be a tactical disadvantage for England, whereas Morata is like a Firmino-lite enabling the two wide lads for Spain.

England have some wildcards off the bench, though. As someone supporting Spain, I'd be more worried if Watkins was starting over Kane. He has pace, mobility and the ability to stretch teams.

Last edited:

Jenks

Calma. Spanish teams both club/country haven’t lost a final in 23 years. 22 finals encounting.
Palmer was in the U21 team that beat Spain 1-0 in the Euros final last year. Foden, Gallagher and Guehi were in the U17 World Cup team that beat Spain 5-2 in the final. It probably won't translate to senior football but I don't have much to cling on to...

draconifire

NTC with a Positive attitude
I see the English winning this. The Spanish defense on the left with Cucerella is their only weak point and I see Foden and Saka, which tbh is the only threat that England has shown till date, exploiting that. The English right side is pretty good and the Spanish left while defending is not.

Plus I feel that Real Madrid voodoo with them. Hate it.

Maradona37

It does feel like one of those games Spain will be the far better team, miss chances, and England will spawn it with 'Real Madrid voodoo', in draconifire's words.

As a Scot, I am preparing myself for the worst. Southgate winning it and Bellingham being anointed as the best thing since sliced bread.

I am still gonna predict a Spanish win, though.

Porque

It's very unlikely that a shitball playing side suddenly starts to play football. France has shown that Cinderella stuff doesn't happen.

But England can win this as they have quality, matchwinners. Plus the cynic in me thinks UEFA would like to have them going into their hosted Euro as reigning Champs and will give them a bit of referee dodge.

Still, it should be a formulaic Spain win, just as games like Barca versus Man U finals where the gulf in the team play throughout the tournament translates to the finals.

Horatio

You're welcome
It's very unlikely that a shitball playing side suddenly starts to play football. France has shown that Cinderella stuff doesn't happen.

But England can win this as they have quality, matchwinners.

Still, it should be a formulaic Spain win, just as games like Barca versus Man U finals where the gulf in the team play throughout the tournament translates to the finals.
England played normal football first half against NL. Ironically they scored open goal in 2nd half instead of relying on illegitimate penalty once they were back to playing poorly.

So maybe best for Spain if England plays football lel

Porque

England played normal football first half against NL

They had a good 30 minutes or so. The Dutch were so poor though after scoring. Which to be fair, DLF has gone into the shell Abit after taking leads in and 4 years time will probably be Deschamp 2.0.

But still Spanish movement retention and quality outside is way more than the Dutch. Have England even played a football team yet?

Home of Barca Fans