Euro 2024

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maradona37

I will ask again

Can anyone here provide an argument as to why Guehi or Maguire are better players 'on paper' than Laporte or Le Normand? Other than vague stuff about how well-known they are and how well they do in the Premier League? While you never watch the Spanish lads.

Spain are miles better technically. Their players are nowhere near as hyped but their touch, movement, ability in small spaces, passing is far superior.

Gnidrologist

I am a white, Northern European man. My phenotype, if you wanna call it that. I don't hate white people at all. I just don't hate minorities either (unlike you). I acknowledge that white people have often held down minorities. I don't feel guilty for that myself, as it wasn't me who did it, but I do believe it's wrong.

I am an egalitarian - I am more interested in the human perspective. I believe - from a human standpoint - that every human being is born equal. I acknowledge there are differences between races and peoples in terms of behaviour, physical characteristics etc. But I still know you can't generalise so broadly as you do.

I am not a jew. I went to a non-denominational school in Scotland and - if anything - my family is Protestant and from Irish descent. I am nowhere near a jew. I just don't hate jews.

Without being aggressive, maybe you can explain why you have this pathological hatred of jews?
You do realise that it's white people, who become minorities soon in their own lands?

ajnotkeith

I am not disagreeing on Morata and Kane, I am talking about how they play for their teams.

If Shaw was England's best player then that sums up everything that is wrong with them. And on that note, did you see Cucurella this entire tournament? He played really well. The fact is neither of them play well for their clubs. I have watched Shaw for a decade and he's been consistently poor for a poor Man United team. Why does he deserve a pass but a younger Cucurella gets destroyed?

And, again, what makes Le Normand worse thsn Maguire or Guehi? Other than the fact you are far more familiar with the English two? Explain why they're better? You can't, other than some tenuous stuff like 'they play in the best league in the world'.
Don't agree that Shaw has always been poor for United and actually been a lot better than some claim. The team missed him greatly during his injury. The stuff with Mourinho has clouded people's judgement of him generally. He hasn't been poor for a decade at all and as a player doesn't have any clear weaknesses.

The point about playing in the Prem isn't tenuous, it is the best league in the world, playing well there means a lot. Agree that nothing seperates him from Guehi but Guehi is clearly the worst name in the side so not surprising. Would discuss Maguire if he had played.

Maradona37

I was saying to a friend today, that if we are talking about pure talent, man for man the Spanish team is better than the English team, their technical ability is in another level.
They are. Don't buy the English media hype. They make guys like Foden and Bellingham out to be Hagi and Rivaldo. They're a joke.

jamrock

I will ask again

Can anyone here provide an argument as to why Guehi or Maguire are better players 'on paper' than Laporte or Le Normand? Other than vague stuff about how well-known they are and how well they do in the Premier League? While you never watch the Spanish lads.

Spain are miles better technically. Their players are nowhere near as hyped but their touch, movement, ability in small spaces, passing is far superior.
They aren't

Porque

That's it, the players have the ability to play good football, but there needs to be a cultural change from the top in hiring managers who try to play attacking football and not relics like Southgate.

People will point to the players being overhyped but a lot of them have performed outside of England too and in the CL, we saw Bellingham this season with Madrid, with England he looked like a traffic cone.

Their whole setup and institution is doomed to failure and underperformance until they start trying to make use of their talent properly.

Agreed. At the end Southgate reached 2 Euro finals and a WC Semi losing most on penalties (except today) which on paper is great. I think they/he peaked from 18/20 where as an England NT hater, was the most worrying time as they were probably one of the best sides.

This result should fix things for the FA. Unlike against Italy. The quality gap of this final was huge. You could look at the Olmo header off the line, but statistically Spain were so much better- and the xG must make Birdy jizz.

Maradona37

Don't agree that Shaw has always been poor for United and actually been a lot better than some claim. The team missed him greatly during his injury. The stuff with Mourinho has clouded people's judgement of him generally. He hasn't been poor for a decade at all and as a player doesn't have any clear weaknesses.

The point about playing in the Prem isn't tenuous, it is the best league in the world, playing well there means a lot. Agree that nothing seperates him from Guehi but Guehi is clearly the worst name in the side so not surprising. Would discuss Maguire if he had played.
Shaw doesn't have any clear weaknesses? You have really drank the kool aid...how about the fact he's generally a fat cunt who can't even stay fit? And when he is on the pitch, he and United achieve what exactly? hardly gets any assist and is a black hole going forward. I don't care what Mourinho thinks, Shaw has been overrated for years and while they stick with guys like him they'll get nowhere near winning the PL.

Proving my point - it is the best league in the world, agree, but playing well in it doesn't prove much, since it's still more physical (under the top four or five teams) and the technique of English players is lacking compared to Spanish players.

Guehi started. I can name Konsa or Gomez too, who are both average at best (no doubt you think they're class). maguire is a big lump and Le Normand is clearly more agile and better on the ball than him, despite not playing for the most hyped up overrated club in European football.

You're still not getting that playing 'well' in the PL doesn't mean you'll play well on the world or European stage. If you can't get that, I cannot help you further.

ajnotkeith

'in terms of on paper England is surely better.'

In terms of hype in the English media. In terms of technique, ability in tight spaces, being brought up to play the passing game, Spain piss all over them.

Football is player on grass, not paper. FFS England have stunk out this tournament, and it's not all because of Southgate. How much more proof do you need?
They did make it to the final though, so can't be that awful, despite having a very fortunate draw.

You are talking about passing game... Foden was player of the season in Pep's City, Walker and Stones are also there, Saka is there, Rice is there, those are top players who play for possession dominant, Spanish coached teams and they perform well in them.

Gnidrologist

I am a white, Northern European man. My phenotype, if you wanna call it that. I don't hate white people at all. I just don't hate minorities either (unlike you). I acknowledge that white people have often held down minorities.
So, despite most of europeans been serfs, you still hate white people. And despite jews being the dominant slave owners and traders, it's just thing to ignore. Okay, racist. We know what you are.

Home of Barca Fans