Euro 2024

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Morten

It was between keeping Varane, a much younger player, or keeping Pepe, who was already pretty old back in 2017, so it was logical.

In hindsight though, knowing now, how well he would age, wouldn't have minded seeing him at the club for several more seasons.

Loki

Best thing to stop turkish whistles is leading with 2-3 against them. Then you have a nice and quiet game. Gj Portugal

Temptation

Man...

The idiot announcer is fucking up the Portuguese names, leaving off the final syllables. If you're going to cover international football, do your fucking homework. Pe-pay, not Pep. Men-dez, not Mends. Fernan-dez, not Fernands. jfc..
No he isn't. That's how you pronounce Portuguese names. You are the one who's saying it wrong. :lol:

It's supposed to be pronounced kind of like Bruno Fernandsh.

@Co0ter @Fati_Future_BallonDor tell him.

Last edited:

Morten

No he isn't. That's how you pronounce Portuguese names. You are the one who's saying it wrong. :lol:

Pronounciation can be confusing, for a long time, i was confused on how to pronounce Kroos, for one.

BerkeleyBernie

@Co0ter @Fati_Future_BallonDor tell him.

Nah, you're wrong. The Anglo announcer pronounced everything with 1 less syllable than there should be.

You're correct in that it is more of an "ezh" sound than a "ez." Fer-nan-dezh, not "Fern-ands."

I studied Brasilian Portuguse for awhile, which is a whole different animal and pronounciation varies greatly from region to region.

Last edited:

Temptation

Nah, you're wrong. The Anglo announcer pronounced everything with 1 less syllable than there should be.

You're correct in that it is more of an "ezh" sound than a "ez." Fer-nan-dezh, not "Fern-ands."

I studied Brasilian Portuguse for awhile, which is a whole different animal and pronounciation varies greatly from region to region.

Well I don't know how exactly the commentator pronounced it. I missed most of the game.

But the idea is to pronounce it something like Fernandsh.

Pepe is pronounced as Pep. I saw a clip where he himself said that.

BerkeleyBernie

Well I don't know how exactly the commentator pronounced it. I missed most of the game.

But the idea is to pronounce it something like Fernandsh.

Pepe is pronounced as Pep. I saw a clip where he himself said that.

Fer-nan-desh. 3 syllables. Men-desh. 2 syllables, not 1.

Appears you are correct about Pepe, even though La Liga announcers (incorrectly) used 2 syllables the entire time he was at Madrid.

Home of Barca Fans